Match Thread Everton v Wolves - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
As I mentioned earlier in the thread, other sides have indeed finished seventh. But they don’t have the capital and the ambition that our owners have to kick on from there.

We may well regress next season to 14th or similar but the long term goal remains - challenge the elite, not just in England but further afield.

Do you not realise how utterly ridiculous this sounds. Having money is fine but it takes a lot more. What is it with these yoyo clubs thinking they're the next big thing, it's really cringe reading stuff like this.

Well when we play each other next season and all our best players are still here with further additions I will be sure to remind you of this conversation . All the best for the rest of the season .

That may well be the case, but it hardly disproves the theory does it? Currently none of your players are really at the level where sides above them will put offers in, never mind offers that would likely tempt players away.

You have a good team, which is well structured and plays well to a plan. To be fair none of your players stand out. Neves is a good young player, but I thought he was outplayed for sections by an under par Gomes yesterday. Nobody is cuing uo for any of our players currently.

Like Burnley and Soithampton this is Wolves's best season for years and they are only just above us. We expect 7th and to be pushing when we don't we are under achieving that's the difference. But good luck to them I wish we had as effective and whole hearted team as they have right now. But these things take time.

So salty!

Met two Everton fans on the train back last night and they couldn’t bear to give Wolves an ounce of praise.

We’ve heard all this nonsense before lads - the foreigners won’t hack it in the Championship, they won’t like the cold, they won’t make the step up as they haven’t got PL experience. Now we’re hearing everyone tell us how it’ll be harder next season and all our best players will be off.

I had a lot of respect for Everton fans in the past but you could genuinely hear a pin drop in the home section yesterday.

Yes, you’ve been in the top flight forever - so what?! One season where you threatened the top four and absolutely jack all else to show for it.

You’re just another set of fans who don’t really understand (or want to try and ignore) what is happening at Molineux. We aren’t here to make up the numbers.

I'm not being horrible mate, but what are we failing to understand? You've brought in some decent players and are currently 4 points above a truly awful Everton team. That would be one point where it not for awful officiating earlier in the season. And we have bombed this season. You are marginally better than one of the worst Everton team's we have seen in the last 20 years, and you are carrying on like we don't know what's happening.

What you don't realise is, we have heard it all before mate. Southampton, West Ham, West Brom, Stoke, Newcastle, Sunderland, Aston Villa, Fulham etc etc have all told us they would be overtaking us with their mega money boards and their over hyped (borderline delusional) fanbases. None of them have managed it, many of them ended up back where you've come from- the championship. We've had each of those fanbases telling us they are bigger and better set for success than Everton. They have all been disproved. Maybe you are the exception, but I'll stick with probability and suggest the likelihood is you will be another challenger that falls away.

As for the final point, what have we achieved? The Premier League has been Everton's least successful period in it's clubs history. Yet in any 1 season of about 10-15 years we have achieved a higher league place finish than Wolves have managed in about 40 years. We have won more trophies than you have managed in about 50 years. We have also regularly finished substantially higher in the league than this Wolves side will likely finish (at best), this same Wolves team that you feel is on the brink of pushing well ahead of Everton.

That is the inconsistency of your argument, and likely why people don't respond to you well, or more likely why even if they do you cannot recognise it. When Wolves finish 7th it's a sign that you are conquering the world, yet when Everton do it regularly it falls into the category of (and I quote) "jack all". There's no integrity to this line of thought.

I would close by saying, yes your board supposedly have lots of money and have said they want to win the league. So have our board. Our CEO has recently said she aims to win the league. Our club are widely reported to be owned by the wealthiest man in Russia. A conglomerate worth more than Wolves owners have bought the Liver Building (down the road from our stadium) with our majority shareholder as front man. We have a deal with China (and indeed the worlds) biggest bank. We are sponsored by 3 billionaires (2 of them substantially wealthier than Abromovic).

All of these people have wealth reserves comparable if not substantially higher than your ownership. They also have liquidity far beyond what your board has available to them. Much of their wealth is tied up in assets. What I can tell you, is for you to overtake Everton will take an awful lot of time. To be seen as a rival for Everton will take a lot longer than you realise. And like all the other clubs above, who moaned when we suggested it, the day we want something from you, we will take it. That's how the hierachy will work, and continue to work for some time yet until you consistently finish above Everton. You are at feeder club level to us.

Enjoy being 4 points above one of the worst Everton teams in recent memory.

I'm not being horrible mate, but what are we failing to understand? You've brought in some decent players and are currently 4 points above a truly awful Everton team. That would be one point where it not for awful officiating earlier in the season. And we have bombed this season. You are marginally better than one of the worst Everton team's we have seen in the last 20 years, and you are carrying on like we don't know what's happening.

What you don't realise is, we have heard it all before mate. Southampton, West Ham, West Brom, Stoke, Newcastle, Sunderland, Aston Villa, Fulham etc etc have all told us they would be overtaking us with their mega money boards and their over hyped (borderline delusional) fanbases. None of them have managed it, many of them ended up back where you've come from- the championship. We've had each of those fanbases telling us they are bigger and better set for success than Everton. They have all been disproved. Maybe you are the exception, but I'll stick with probability and suggest the likelihood is you will be another challenger that falls away.

As for the final point, what have we achieved? The Premier League has been Everton's least successful period in it's clubs history. Yet in any 1 season of about 10-15 years we have achieved a higher league place finish than Wolves have managed in about 40 years. We have won more trophies than you have managed in about 50 years. We have also regularly finished substantially higher in the league than this Wolves side will likely finish (at best), this same Wolves team that you feel is on the brink of pushing well ahead of Everton.

That is the inconsistency of your argument, and likely why people don't respond to you well, or more likely why even if they do you cannot recognise it. When Wolves finish 7th it's a sign that you are conquering the world, yet when Everton do it regularly it falls into the category of (and I quote) "jack all". There's no integrity to this line of thought.

I would close by saying, yes your board supposedly have lots of money and have said they want to win the league. So have our board. Our CEO has recently said she aims to win the league. Our club are widely reported to be owned by the wealthiest man in Russia. A conglomerate worth more than Wolves owners have bought the Liver Building (down the road from our stadium) with our majority shareholder as front man. We have a deal with China (and indeed the worlds) biggest bank. We are sponsored by 3 billionaires (2 of them substantially wealthier than Abromovic).

All of these people have wealth reserves comparable if not substantially higher than your ownership. They also have liquidity far beyond what your board has available to them. Much of their wealth is tied up in assets. What I can tell you, is for you to overtake Everton will take an awful lot of time. To be seen as a rival for Everton will take a lot longer than you realise. And like all the other clubs above, who moaned when we suggested it, the day we want something from you, we will take it. That's how the hierachy will work, and continue to work for some time yet until you consistently finish above Everton. You are at feeder club level to us.

giphy.gif

Good post and you make some very fair points.

Have I been a bit giddy over the last 24 hours on here? Maybe.

Do I believe we are a club truly heading places and not content with 7th every season? Yes.

It’s clear whatever I say won’t change many of your minds and yes, it will take time to see if I’m correct or not. Happy to revisit this thread in 24 months time...

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, other sides have indeed finished seventh. But they don’t have the capital and the ambition that our owners have to kick on from there.

We may well regress next season to 14th or similar but the long term goal remains - challenge the elite, not just in England but further afield.
You had a net spend of slightly less than £90m in the summer, which was less than West Ham and Fulham; that's before talking about the big boys.

Let's see how they cope with Europe and what it does to league form, if they make it.

The Europa League was designed solely for this purpose.
And how many players Mendez moves on from the club. I feel like they are similar to Watford in one way, players are parked there excel and then sold for huge profits.

Do I believe we are a club truly heading places and not content with 7th every season? Yes.

It’s clear whatever I say won’t change many of your minds and yes, it will take time to see if I’m correct or not. Happy to revisit this thread in 24 months time...

I think you will come to realise that this was a very naive statement in a few years time.

7th is about as good as it will ever get for a club like Wolves who are more used to battling it out with the Burton Albions and Rotherhams of English Football in recent times, than established clubs in the top flight. Do you realise that out of all the West Midlands clubs who've had spells in the Premier League, you lot have been the biggest embarrassment to the region consisting of those huge clubs Birmingham, West Brom and Stoke?

I think you have the setup to finally establish yourselves in the top flight, and could make the battle for 7th interesting between the likes of us, Leicester and West Ham in the coming years. Aspirations beyond that will prove to be deluded. Happy to admit I am wrong if you come back in 24 months and have defied what I have said.

At the match yesterday me and my son were watching the two teams warm up. Wolves players were out before ours, went in after ours and all looked focused and organised. In comparison, we looked lacklustre and half hearted. I said to my son that they are more up for it than we are and could see them winning.
Where has our fight and passion gone? It should be an honour to pull on the RBJ, but players get paid exorbitant amounts win lose or draw.
There's a quote on the Bullen's Road ceiling by Dave Hickson "I would break every bone in my body for any club I play for, but I would die for Everton" - players these days go to pieces if they break a fingernail! It would only take one or two players to show just a bit of passion to start lifting the team and the crowd will follow suit

At the beginning of the saeson, Silva was making decisive substitutions.

Yesterday, presumably in a desperate attempt to threaten their goal, we switched to three at the back. We ended up defending with Lookman and Richarlison as wingbacks. Whoever could have imagined that? Not Lookman and Richarlison, I'm sure.

I completely agree you want more than 7th place. So have lots of teams. So have Everton who have regularly been stuck there. Good luck going to the next level, I think you will find that next step very difficult. You simply don't have the money to do it easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back