Everton Youth Teams Thread

Did Hornby play for the Scots? If so, any good?
He played, one or two nice bits, but isolated for a lot of the game up front not much support,
Seemed to drift back into midfield later on in the game to get involved, showed a bit more and had a decent free kick near the end,
To be fair to the lad cant recall one ball into the back for him to attack and its a relatively new position for him, maybe that why he showed a bit more when he got involved in the midfield?

Connolly certainly is adaptable, always been a good defender and could find himself in good goal scoring opportunities but interesting to see him playing right midfield too.

Played really well at Ipswich at cm apparently, how did his passing look for a midfielder? And could he be used next season in the first team squad? Would be great to have a player like this available

Connolly certainly is adaptable, always been a good defender and could find himself in good goal scoring opportunities but interesting to see him playing right midfield too.

Played really well at Ipswich at cm apparently, how did his passing look for a midfielder? And could he be used next season in the first team squad? Would be great to have a player like this available

..i’d say his passing is more about keeping possession than being particularly creative. He’s tidy with the ball. One of those footballers who will be effective but not dynamic wherever he plays, the type managers like to have in their squad.

..i’d say his passing is more about keeping possession than being particularly creative. He’s tidy with the ball. One of those footballers who will be effective but not dynamic wherever he plays, the type managers like to have in their squad.

Interesting player Connolly, seems to do well consistently in every position he plays.

Perfect player to have on the bench every game.

always room in the squad for a player like that Eggs, only trouble is the taste of first team football at Ipswich last season ,I can see he wanting more than sitting on the bench for us getting the odd subs run out.

Could be a very handy player in the coming seasons, his versatility - and consistency across them positions, is invaluable.

Just watched the game. Hornby continues to develop, I don’t see him as a top goalscorer and you can see his touch is there from when he played midfield, which might still be his position in a Fellaini type of way. As others have mentioned , Billy Gilmour is an eye catching player, a year or so ago he was Scotland’s new 15 year old wonderkid at Rangers ..... then Chelsea snatched him amidst a fair degree of anger. Hope they give him a chance in coming years.
This England team is just dominated by Ady Bothroyd’s tactics, the number of times “keep the width” was heard from the bench was matched by the number of times the wide players , Connolly and Dasilva, passed it backwards. Connolly does what he always does, crosses with right foot, crosses with left foot, nothing spectacular. He has this uncanny skill of getting into space in the box and scoring, he’s done it right through from England U17s, our teams, Wigan two seasons ago etc. I’m really pleased he’s made his way back for England as he was dropped from the u21 after the u20 WC.

Just watched the game. Hornby continues to develop, I don’t see him as a top goalscorer and you can see his touch is there from when he played midfield, which might still be his position in a Fellaini type of way. As others have mentioned , Billy Gilmour is an eye catching player, a year or so ago he was Scotland’s new 15 year old wonderkid at Rangers ..... then Chelsea snatched him amidst a fair degree of anger. Hope they give him a chance in coming years.
This England team is just dominated by Ady Bothroyd’s tactics, the number of times “keep the width” was heard from the bench was matched by the number of times the wide players , Connolly and Dasilva, passed it backwards. Connolly does what he always does, crosses with right foot, crosses with left foot, nothing spectacular. He has this uncanny skill of getting into space in the box and scoring, he’s done it right through from England U17s, our teams, Wigan two seasons ago etc. I’m really pleased he’s made his way back for England as he was dropped from the u21 after the u20 WC.
Do you think these are Ady Bothroyds tactics mate?. I think this has come down from up top. We know Southgate has settled on a 3 at the back system for the senior team, and I believe he has asked for the U21s to try the system out at his tournament to see if they can make it work, and therefore have players coming through used to the system. Maybe we'll find out more when we see the U19s line up at the euros next month.

Personally, whilst I think it's a system that may suit the seniors due to a lack of quality central midfielders and wingers, I think the tactics have actually stymied the U21s at this tournament. You can see that technically they are vastly superior to all the other teams in the competition, bar possibly Mexico, but have at times struggled to create with the system. Dowell in particular has been playing like a right winger in front of a right wing back, whereas he should be playing inside behind the forward and influencing play a lot more.

I really hope we don't see this system for the U19s. We have so many talented wide players in that squad it will be a massive shame.

Do you think these are Ady Bothroyds tactics mate?. I think this has come down from up top. We know Southgate has settled on a 3 at the back system for the senior team, and I believe he has asked for the U21s to try the system out at his tournament to see if they can make it work, and therefore have players coming through used to the system. Maybe we'll find out more when we see the U19s line up at the euros next month.

Personally, whilst I think it's a system that may suit the seniors due to a lack of quality central midfielders and wingers, I think the tactics have actually stymied the U21s at this tournament. You can see that technically they are vastly superior to all the other teams in the competition, bar possibly Mexico, but have at times struggled to create with the system. Dowell in particular has been playing like a right winger in front of a right wing back, whereas he should be playing inside behind the forward and influencing play a lot more.

I really hope we don't see this system for the U19s. We have so many talented wide players in that squad it will be a massive shame.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back