Everton Youth Teams Thread

A bit off topic but I thought this insight into Liam Walsh was a great analysis. Source was Scoutxd on Twitter . It seems they played 3-4-3-1 with Walsh in the middle of the four and it really suited him.
Liam Walsh(22) English deep lying playmaker that played next to Liam Kelly last season. Spent last season on loan at Coventry from Bristol City. Played a big part in Coventrys success last season and the style of play that Mark Robins installed. Has a great range of passing and can play 40/50 yard diagonal balls to wingbacks or through balls into the inside forwards and is one of if not the best passers in the league. Walsh has a very low centre of gravity and is very agile, this is particularly helpful when pressed by players and he can weave in and out of them and play a pass through to a forward. Despite his height he’s solid physically and protects the ball very well and is also strong in challenges. Technically Liam Walsh is superb and is a great deep crosser and is quality from dead ball situations. Walsh played a key part in Coventrys success last season being one of the most influential players in the syste

With an extra man, it's no wonder he's shining!

he's the type of player we desperately need in our midfield, shame sometimes can't hold on to these players until they're fully developed.
The one player of any recently I hoped we put a buy back clause into the deal.

he's 22 playing for coventry when we're after players from champions league teams tbf.

Currently still 22 and widely regarded as best player outside top 2 divisions last season.
If he has another good season I expect plenty of Premier league teams will have an interest
But, will top six teams be looking at him and that needs to be the standard we want as well or otherwise we need to accept that our ambition is to stay in the Premiership not to try to win it or qualify for Europe.

Ellis Simms is the interesting one for me he is now a similar to DCL when he signed so he needs to be pushing for the bench by the end of the season or if not quite ready needs to go out on loan to a Championship side for 2nd half of season as there is only so far a player can develop in the u23s.

But, will top six teams be looking at him and that needs to be the standard we want as well or otherwise we need to accept that our ambition is to stay in the Premiership not to try to win it or qualify for Europe.

Top 6 teams aren't even interested in Allan, that's not the be all and end all of whether a player is worth signing. And I'm sure there will be some players the top 6 sign we would have no Interest in as well.

At the end of the day, they are in the top 6 as they already have better players than us, so them not being interested in players we are interested in as we try and chase them, is of no interest. Additionally, if they were after them, we would most likely not have any chance of signing them.

And so we are in a position whereby, if we should only be interested in players the top 6 want, and noone else, we will likely never sign anyone, and never improve on what we have.

Liam Walsh is 22 and was player of the season in a title winning team. This is precisely the sort of player we should be looking at, and trying to decide if he can make the step up. The fact he used to play for us is an added bonus.

Yeah we do seem to be sticking their feet in fertiliser down at FF and growing them big. It’s always hard to tell unless you see them in the flesh but this time last year I was surprised that Hagan looked the smallest alongside Thompson and Welch . I knew little about Thompson but then he was getting the most starts over Hagan, then Hagan gets a pro contract quite early, then Kristensen. And Welch seems to have filled out a bit at the shoulders from last year. All good stuff and promising.
Yes, Hagan got his pro early probably as a result of playing for England (2003s). Kristensen likely got his pro, as part of his initial signing. In all likely hood it would have been a prerequisite of him joining Everton. This is a common practice for boys that sign and transfer in at this stage of their career. Dylan Thompson joined from Blackpool, 5 or 6 years ago, left footed playmaker. Very composed, and highly thought of within the club. Having said that all the boys are. Great competition for places and a great crop of defenders for the future.

Top 6 teams aren't even interested in Allan, that's not the be all and end all of whether a player is worth signing. And I'm sure there will be some players the top 6 sign we would have no Interest in as well.

At the end of the day, they are in the top 6 as they already have better players than us, so them not being interested in players we are interested in as we try and chase them, is of no interest. Additionally, if they were after them, we would most likely not have any chance of signing them.

And so we are in a position whereby, if we should only be interested in players the top 6 want, and noone else, we will likely never sign anyone, and never improve on what we have.

Liam Walsh is 22 and was player of the season in a title winning team. This is precisely the sort of player we should be looking at, and trying to decide if he can make the step up. The fact he used to play for us is an added bonus.
I hope he does make it to the Premiership in time, but he couldn't get into the team at Bristol and had to move down a division to get a game.
I cannot see any Premiership team chasing him to be honest.

A bit off topic but I thought this insight into Liam Walsh was a great analysis. Source was Scoutxd on Twitter . It seems they played 3-4-3-1 with Walsh in the middle of the four and it really suited him.
Liam Walsh(22) English deep lying playmaker that played next to Liam Kelly last season. Spent last season on loan at Coventry from Bristol City. Played a big part in Coventrys success last season and the style of play that Mark Robins installed. Has a great range of passing and can play 40/50 yard diagonal balls to wingbacks or through balls into the inside forwards and is one of if not the best passers in the league. Walsh has a very low centre of gravity and is very agile, this is particularly helpful when pressed by players and he can weave in and out of them and play a pass through to a forward. Despite his height he’s solid physically and protects the ball very well and is also strong in challenges. Technically Liam Walsh is superb and is a great deep crosser and is quality from dead ball situations. Walsh played a key part in Coventrys success last season being one of the most influential players in the syste
I would be absolutely chuffed if this lad managed to work his way up to the premier league, Sounds as though he smashed League 1 last season and the new Bristol City manager looks like he's going to build a team around him this season in the Championship, playing a back 3 similar to Coventry.

Good luck to the lad.

I think he's been an early casualty of the clubs change in policy regarding young players. Up until last season he would probably have been offered another contract to ensure that we didn't lose him on a free. But I think we've tightened up on that and are now happy to cut our losses rather than handing out additional contracts.

I thought at one stage Feeney had a small chance of making it here. He's a solid defender, but he never really filled out. I think his loan to Tranmere in January was probably his last chance to prove he deserved a new contract, but he got injured after just 1 game.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back