Everton Youth Teams Thread

I'm seeing all of these as welcome and overdue changes to the way we run the academy.

If we had someone like a pathways manager we would never have, for example, sent Gibson to Reading. I said as soon as it was announced it would be a bad loan and I'm just some rando off the Internet.
We have been the kings of sending our lads to the wrong clubs.

I'm seeing all of these as welcome and overdue changes to the way we run the academy.

If we had someone like a pathways manager we would never have, for example, sent Gibson to Reading. I said as soon as it was announced it would be a bad loan and I'm just some rando off the Internet.
Yep. It wasn't the first time either. Same went for Virginia as they were already about to sign a keeper for millions and I'm pretty sure for 2 years on the spin we were sending kids to Wigan and Bolton whilst they were both in administration and not paying their own players. Sounds like the ideal environment to develop in.

It’s definitely a step in the right direction from the days when we vaguely thought we should have someone check on the on- loan kids so got Joe Royle to pop along and keep an eye on them . Then when he stopped there didn’t seem to be any coordination at all.

Liverpool bringing in 33 year old Jay Spearing to play for their under 23s. Jobs for the boys, overly sentimental, blocking the pathway etc etc...
United did the same last season with 35 year old Paul McShane playing for their u23s. I didn’t really follow it to know if it was successful though, success being helping their youngsters improve as opposed to winning the league.

United did the same last season with 35 year old Paul McShane playing for their u23s. I didn’t really follow it to know if it was successful though, success being helping their youngsters improve as opposed to winning the league.

it seems like a good idea if you get the right person in to do it, dont think you could make a proper conclusion after 1 year though on its success.

it seems like a good idea if you get the right person in to do it, dont think you could make a proper conclusion after 1 year though on its success.

It’s a great idea, U23’s have a lack of left backs, didn’t we just hire a guy that was a pretty decent one?

Imagine the ticket sales if you knew Baines was lining up wearing the no. 3 again.

Oh I agree, I don’t have a conclusion to give, or really a strong opinion on if it’s good, bad or indifferent. But what I do like is that United and the RS are doing it , that someone’s thought about it and decided to give it a go at their club. A small bit of something innovative , not a word I can apply to our set up in recent years .

From the start of the 2022/23 season, Premier League 2 will become an under-21 competition.

The amendment to the age limit, which was previously under-23, has been introduced as part of an ongoing review of the Elite Player Performance Plan (EPPP) to better align with the EFL Trophy and international competitions.

The rule change is designed to reflect the reality of the players in the competition, whose average is currently 19.

Clubs will, however, be permitted to use five (previously three) over-age outfield players and one over-age goalkeeper, in order to transition from its under-23 format.

The aim is to continue providing opportunities for the best young players to play alongside and against older and more experienced players.

Premier League 2 is part of a suite of competitions that aims to best prepare players to make the transition to senior football.

This includes a variety of domestic cup competitions, matches involving senior opposition, such as through the EFL Trophy, and competitions against international peers which will return this season in expanded formats, following the Covid-19 pandemic.

Premier League 2, which for the last two seasons has been won by Manchester City, continues to focus on technicality, physicality and intensity to bring players as close to first-team experience as possible.

The League is continually monitoring all elements of the academy system and making refinements accordingly.

Consultation is ongoing with clubs as part of a wider review of the Professional Development Phase Games Programme which will continue through the season.

Can we now call it the reserves or u21s ?
The nice thing is while it’s a name change it barely affects our team selection, I suspect we complied with the above u21 criteria for just about all our u23 games last season. There’ll be pressure to get the u16/18 set up right but it looks like we’ll be ok for a few years with the youngsters coming through and the u14/15/16 tournament results we saw last season.