Everton Youth Teams Thread

It's not at the moment because the club is a basket case but we have to integrate a system where these kids want to stay, they need to be taught that it's not always better at clubs like City and Chelsea where they just become 1 of 50 and often fade into the background.

I just don't think it's possible. It's hardly a new thing losing kids at this age. Chelsea have done it since the Stone Age.

They offer more money, better facilities, better coaching. They can say to their friends "I play for Man City".

This generations' kids aren't turning that down for nothing.

There will reach a point where kids will have to start considering staying. This feels eerily similar to Saints signing Small and then immediately grabbing Meghoma from spurs

….there is no guarantee of success if they stay but a move to a club like City sets them up financially for life. A bit like Thierry Small, he was very well advised to take the big bucks offered by Southampton. They’ll find a level to play at, even if it’s semi-pro.

The kid probably moved to City after hearing Dyche saying there is nothing on the conveyor belt.... Even if you think it you can`t say it like that, there has to be some sort of tact.

I wonder how many we will lose because of that comment from the guy who is top of the tree.
This hasn’t happened because of an interview quote from a couple of weeks ago. Don’t be silly.

These super academies are just picking off the best youngsters from other clubs with impunity. I’m not sure there’s much that can be done about it but the issue, for all clubs, is much deeper than a few words.

All Dyche said was there’s no one in the 21s -yet- ready to play for the firsts. Anyone who watches them pretty much agrees. If anything that’s an easier pathway for someone talented at the younger age groups to make accelerated progress.

But the club could argue that til they’re blue in the face, ultimately most kids and their parents opt for these big production line academies.

Anyway, if it’s true we released him I guess it’s moot in this case.

We need a clear pathway/plan that these young lads can see and work towards that eventually leads to first team football. We need to give them a reason to want to stay here, if not then scale the academy back to the bare minimum just enough to meet requirements and save some money because it seems a bit of a mess at the moment.
He hasn't gone to City because he can see a clear path to the first team has he behave.

Why shouldn't they be? 99% of all academy kids don't make it at a professional level. Quite frankly it should be the only thing they're concerned about til about 20
Not for me, at 15 you should just want too learn and show people what you can do at that age. If you are just worried about bread for the next pair of trabs or the latest fancy trackie that Nike have brought out then leave them too it imo. There is plenty of time for it in the future, the rewards will come from hard work.

If a kid that age is bothered about how much money he is earning then tbh let them go.
Going to City means more money more prestige and better facilities i'd be more worried about player turning all that down because at 15 they think they have a better 'pathway to the first team' which is just horrible corporate speak being co-opted into football by people who want to sound like they know what they're talking about but don't anyway.

Why shouldn't they be? 99% of all academy kids don't make it at a professional level. Quite frankly it should be the only thing they're concerned about til about 20
It’s also probably the case that, a bit like United in the 90s even for the ones that later get released being an “ex-City academy prospect” is a big leg up on your next step (“well he must be good”) and if you can get in the door you’ll have that label forever.

I don’t know the solution but small factors like that make it very tough for clubs to stop the drain to these elite academies.

It’s also probably the case that, a bit like United in the 90s even for the ones that later get released being an “ex-City academy prospect” is a big leg up on your next step (“well he must be good”) and if you can get in the door you’ll have that label forever.

I don’t know the solution but small factors like that make it very tough for clubs to stop the drain to these elite academies.
Yep, right now he gets the best facilities, coaches, loan options, more money and if it doesn't work out he will get his reputation enhanced of being an ex man city player. It probably gets him straight back in the Wales fold which he has missed the last few squads of.

And this is on top of the fact we were letting him go. Just look how much of a reputation boost it has given him to go from being released by everton to Man City's big new signing with a Fab Romano tweet to go along with it to see it as a coup.

I've no idea if he is any good or not but I don't think this is the end of the world and will never blame a youth player for securing the money if that were the case. For almost all of them it will be the single biggest windfall of their career.

The solution seems to be just keep doing what we're doing, the most succesful lads out of our academy havent been the ones that have left, its been the ones who have stayed.

Going to City means more money more prestige and better facilities i'd be more worried about player turning all that down because at 15 they think they have a better 'pathway to the first team' which is just horrible corporate speak being co-opted into football by people who want to sound like they know what they're talking about but don't anyway.
We used to have a productive academy with good coaching standards, Id like us to get back to that way. I think for a club like us that struggles in the big boys transfer market having a good youth setup is vital imo. I can however fully accept (like you said) that some kids will see their futures away from EFC given the way things are at the moment and it's likely to be that way for a while.

If a kid that age is bothered about how much money he is earning then tbh let them go.

Not for me, at 15 you should just want too learn and show people what you can do at that age. If you are just worried about bread for the next pair of trabs or the latest fancy trackie that Nike have brought out then leave them too it imo. There is plenty of time for it in the future, the rewards will come from hard work.

You cant blame him for choosing the money and prestige.

These players are at risk of a serious injury and they need to have cash for their future if things dont go well.

On the other hand as a club we need to have a focus on the kids to ensure they dont want and dont need to move.

We used to have a productive academy with good coaching standards, Id like us to get back to that way. I think for a club like us that struggles in the big boys transfer market having a good youth setup is vital imo. I can however fully accept (like you said) that some kids will see their futures away from EFC given the way things are at the moment and it's likely to be that way for a while.

We need investment into all levels of the club.

Really you should build from the ground up and i dont think it costs too much compared to a first team signing.

We should have done this as soon as Moshiri took charge.