Everton Youth Teams Thread

Beto is not very good back to goal but he does have movement about him which Londstrom picked out late in the game. Beto is not a target man but use his strengths (movement) and he could slot a few. He is useful at losing a player with clever runs. We have to make the most of it and not pump the ball to him

Shocker isn't it as that's how he was played at Udinese and why there's interest in him from Atalanta. Who'd have thought utilising a player completely wrong makes them look bad...

Beto is not very good back to goal but he does have movement about him which Londstrom picked out late in the game. Beto is not a target man but use his strengths (movement) and he could slot a few. He is useful at losing a player with clever runs. We have to make the most of it and not pump the ball to him
IMG_4961.jpeg

Beto looked better up front with sherif, wasn't hard to be at that piont to be honest.
Metcalfe best for us I thought.
Armstrong just looks a player in the making .
Lindstrom didn't look that intrested at times, maybe needs to get a bit of confidence back as you can see he has a bit of skill.
Thought Butler did a decent job when he came on, nice little cameo from him.
New kids we brought in didn't really have much to do.
Centre half looked a bit lost at the back position wise , but he looks to have a bit about him.
Lad from arsenal wasn't on long enough to judge.
Made up its a win.
Good to hear about Metcalfe and Armstrong. Were they both centre midfield and did they have different roles?

Good to hear about Metcalfe and Armstrong. Were they both centre midfield and did they have different roles?
Yes and yes , I’d say 8 and 6 in that order but that’s my brain , others may say different. They have slightly different playing styles , Metcalfe is more likely to try the longer range pass , the delicate chip into the box , Armstrong is more direct , happy to bring the ball forward into space , do the 10-20 yard accurate ground pass and is not adverse to a dribble into the box . He makes mistakes but I’d say has a high pass accuracy rate.

Last season it was said often in this thread that these two were our best young prospects, and back then the older Metcalfe was ahead , but now Armstrong has overtaken him. The 70 mins I saw from Armstrong last night was way ahead of his play last season, great progression, he’s too good for u21s but needs game time , he’s too good to benefit from a loan to League 2 , maybe top of League 1 , but his talent is growing rapidly , we can develop him to be a first team starter this season.

Last nights game was on Sky and probably watched by more Evertonians than any recent u21s game so you’ll get many different views.

Yes and yes , I’d say 8 and 6 in that order but that’s my brain , others may say different. They have slightly different playing styles , Metcalfe is more likely to try the longer range pass , the delicate chip into the box , Armstrong is more direct , happy to bring the ball forward into space , do the 10-20 yard accurate ground pass and is not adverse to a dribble into the box . He makes mistakes but I’d say has a high pass accuracy rate.

Last season it was said often in this thread that these two were our best young prospects, and back then the older Metcalfe was ahead , but now Armstrong has overtaken him. The 70 mins I saw from Armstrong last night was way ahead of his play last season, great progression, he’s too good for u21s but needs game time , he’s too good to benefit from a loan to League 2 , maybe top of League 1 , but his talent is growing rapidly , we can develop him to be a first team starter this season.

Last nights game was on Sky and probably watched by more Evertonians than any recent u21s game so you’ll get many different views.
Must be doing very well then as iirc you are one of the more cautious/sensible posters on here with regards pushing half decent looking youth prospects into the 1st team squad.
It reminds me of the first goal he scored for the club. If you can put him in a situation where he is forced to take a quick touch, he looks to be able to put it away.
Reminds me of Walcott. Was great when he had to play instinctively. Was terrible when he had time to take a couple touches and actually think/make decisions.
The Glory days are back , we have a new Prince who can lead the u21s to triumphs in the manner of Oumar Niasse 🙂
At least (?) Beto has a locker...

It was encouraging to see the players who lasted the 95 minutes (Beto, Lindstrom, Metcalfe, Dixon, Tamen etc.) where still moving about well in the final 10 minutes. Perhaps that's some of the pre season conditioning work paying off for them.. we certainly looked a lot fitter than Tranmere in those final stages.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back