Everton Youth Teams Thread

Yes I don't think people realise the difference its easy to say get them out on loan or sell them but there are loads of reasons why that won't always happen even some of the better academy players in the last few years have gone well down the ladder to play regularly there isn't a big queue of teams wanting to put an 19 year old centre half in their first team and pay them 2 grand a week!
Its a fascination of mine the life of a lower league footballer.
At the moment the north west have the likes of Wrexham & Stockport taking probably the best of the league 1 and below standard player (you need to remember, contracts at that level don't include home allowance etc, so as a footballer, especially if you have a young family your choice of clubs are limited to probably an hour/hour 1/2 distance (Barrow even train in Manchester to help them recruit players living in the North West.
Wrexham & Stockport are probably offering that £2k a week (Wigan & Blackpool, Bolton also probably), then the likes of Fleetwood, Shrewsbury, Port Vale, Salford, Carlisle, Tranmere, Crewe, Accrington Stanley & Morcombe offering between £1000-£600 per week
If you look at most footballers playing in these leagues from the north west, they will usually have played for at least 2 or 3 of these sides at some point..

If you are realistic at this age, the likes of Higgins, Campbell, Welch, McAllister...even Dixon, will likely end up at the one of these clubs. You can see why they would want to stretch out an extra year on a bigger wage.

Its why you dont see someone like Tranmere hoovering up ours & Liverpools young players like they used to do in the 90s, they just cant afford to give 16-20 year old kids £2-3k a week

Can only go off what I've seen in more recent times, but based on that..

Armstrong
Metcalfe
Mills
Dixon
Whitaker
Benjamin
Sherif (possibly)
Butler (again, possibly)
Tyrer (young goalie who's already been on loan but looks like he's developing nicely)

All are still very young obviously but all have a bit of 'something' about them which, if developed properly, could elevate them. All of them could do with a League One loan or similar next year.
Ah, history is a cruel but accurate recorder of facts . In the past 10 years, just 3 players Kenny, Davies, Gordon who were with us at 16 played 50 or more PL games for us . Thats 3 out of approximately 100 Scholars, it’s easier to say no one in any year will make it, you’d be right the majority of the time. It’s so difficult to identify youngsters who will make it as few do. Certain traits have always stood out , playing up early eg playing u18 as a Schoolboy, u21 as an u18 . Playing for England at u15/16/17 ( as those three did) is less reliable these days , u20/21 caps is a better indicator now. Physicality and attitude are big factors, Kieron Dowell was more talented than Gordon , Gordon had the better attitude and applied himself.

It’s difficult to tell in these early days but Armstrong appears to have the application/ attitude in his game, Metcalfe too but drifts out a bit at times, Dixon needs to step it up , being great growing forward is not enough in the PL. It’s always exciting watching these youngsters develop though!

Ah, history is a cruel but accurate recorder of facts . In the past 10 years, just 3 players Kenny, Davies, Gordon who were with us at 16 played 50 or more PL games for us . Thats 3 out of approximately 100 Scholars, it’s easier to say no one in any year will make it, you’d be right the majority of the time. It’s so difficult to identify youngsters who will make it as few do. Certain traits have always stood out , playing up early eg playing u18 as a Schoolboy, u21 as an u18 . Playing for England at u15/16/17 ( as those three did) is less reliable these days , u20/21 caps is a better indicator now. Physicality and attitude are big factors, Kieron Dowell was more talented than Gordon , Gordon had the better attitude and applied himself.

It’s difficult to tell in these early days but Armstrong appears to have the application/ attitude in his game, Metcalfe too but drifts out a bit at times, Dixon needs to step it up , being great growing forward is not enough in the PL. It’s always exciting watching these youngsters develop though!
Although he was decent in the youth teams, i never thought Gordon would make it properly into our first team, let alone get us £40m smackeroos and end up playing for England.

Say what you like about the little runt, but he has worked incredibly hard and is reaping the rewards for that.

He's better than Sean's pet....must be

….really? i presume you mean Keane, a player who’s started very few games these last 12 months.

Last few occasions I’ve seen Welch, he’s been bullied out the game. He really seems to lack a competitive edge, especially given his size and physicality. Be interesting how he gets on if he gets a permanent move, he’s a terrific athlete.

….really? i presume you mean Keane, a player who’s started very few games these last 12 months.

Last few occasions I’ve seen Welch, he’s been bullied out the game. He really seems to lack a competitive edge, especially given his size and physicality. Be interesting how he gets on if he gets a permanent move, he’s a terrific athlete.
Or Keane the player we should have got rid of 4 years ago & let Youngsters come through - Many of our under 23s have pace my brother rates the under 23s right back ?

I bet he can't get on the bench on Saturday or even play under this dinosaur of a manager ....

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back