Homepage Article Everton's Attitude Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for putting the attitude interviews and references together.
[This was supposed to be a short reply but I just kept writing....and i think it's self-therapy more than anything.]

It's significant because we know a lot less than what's actually going on, and so if Coleman and Ancelotti - who both are men of few words normally - come out with these kinds of comments we can assume it's worse than what we see.

I can't work this out though: what are the players doing wrong, and who are the players who show this lack of attitude?
Looking at the teams from last night and that one that preceded Coleman's interview, who are the exact players who are showing this lack of fight and character, because it's hard to see from media and social media who it might be? And when we talk about character, I think it's very easy and shallow to just make a judgement that the younger players who are showing their wealth and on Snap and Insta all the time are lazy, and the 'serious' older ones are more professional. I think character and fight is also this mentality that you somehow find the energy and determination to play well and work hard, even when you're low on confidence or not in good form. It's rare to get that character. So even if we have good players, nice guys, seemingly hard-working professionals (e.g. Gylfi) the lack of character comes from their inability to
- concentrate at the most important moments
- find the extra bit of pace or energy to chase or make a run
- have the focus to pass or shoot or tackle really well even though they've not seen the ball for 20 mins
- have inner belief and confidence

Should we need a Big Dunc rallying cry or the Goodison crowd to get behind the team? In fact, the pandemic has shown the influence of the crowd for good and bad, and it has shown the real professionals are the team who can play for themselves and their teammates, not only to show the crowd and get reactions. For that reason, I think Carlo has done so well because even though we are at the same-ish league position of previous seasons, he has got 11 individuals to grind out results to get us to 8th or 9th. And some things have improved.

Here's my guess, based on very little evidence of who probably has the right character, and who doesnt:

The right character to continue in the team:
Pickford - seems to have made a comeback from that ridiculous hate campaign, and has played in high pressure games for England.
DCL - has shown great progress and his work on his fitness and his weaknesses show his character
James - has proven himself under pressure for Columbia and the biggest teams
Godfrey - consistently good and he embodies the spirit we're looking for
Allan, Doucoure, Digne - play well most of the time
Richarlison - is normally good, I can't help thinking that isolation and the pandemic have hurt him. Imagine being from a very social, family-oriented, warm culture and being on your own for 18 months, and seeing your country is being ravaged by Covid.
Davies - worth working on - at least he runs around
Young players, inc. Gordon, Simms, Branthwaite etc - have to be worth trying if only for passion and wanting to make a name for themselves

That leaves 2 characters of players who have the 'wrong attitude'. I cannot believe that anyone goes out to deliberately fail, but I do think that only a minority of players have the mental strength to be consistently good.

1) Players who are individually good professionals, but couldn't perform when it mattered:
Walcott, Sigurdsson, Keane

2) Players who are losing their way or talent, and I don't think we can turn their careers around
Bernard, Iwobi, Holgate, Gomes, Delph

Seamus Coleman - like latter-day Baines & Jagielka - is a 'model professional' with the right attitude, but I don't think he's the boss on the pitch. We need more leaders around him to help him, or a more vocal, powerful captain. Yesterday was our first choice XI. even though it's an impressive looking team, I think the 'lack of fight/attitude' also comes from
- no backup on the bench pushing the first XI, or giving them a rest.
- who is the leader on the pitch? You look at our last really good team, and I think there were quiet leaders in Baines, Jags, Coleman and Distin, but then big characters in Cahill, Howard, love him or hate him Neville and Arteta as well. Lukaku was a leader too, he's the type of person I'm talking about too.
- do they really know what they want? why are they here? DCL seems to be talking about the long-term , so too Godfrey, Davies, Coleman, Pickford, even James and Allan talk about the 'project', but I cannot believe that they didn't have the willpower to fight against some of the teams we saw this year.

Carlo has to be given more time, but it's crucial that he and Brands buy leaders and characters, not just the missing links in the team.

Last edited:
Its getting to the point where im losing interest in us - not the club itself more just watching us play.

No desire, No good football on show, No Fight, No energy and I dont think Carlo is the right man to change that.

We need our own Klopp/Simeone/Biesla someone who instills those attributes in the players and demands that throughout the club.

Carlo and Jose are two of the worlds best managers but I think both are on the decline certainly in English Football.

Agree 100%. Holgate strolling around chewing gum thinking he is Baresi. Sigurdsson doing his best to make it look like he’s competing without actually competing. Richarlison feeling sorry for himself all game. DCL crying to be man of the match in a game he’s barely been involved in.

An absolutely rotten group of overpaid narcissists.

We have some good players but attitude and leadership are missing.

I want a team with everyone the same attitude as Ben Godfrey.

Despite minor mistakes he will fight for everything, be brave and he wants it, he’s shown more leadership this year than any other player.

Its not about just having 11 of these players, it’s about having a squad, the whole culture needs changing.

You know it must be bad if even I've bothered to try and write some words.

You can't 'make' them have the proper attitude - it comes from within. You can't...except probably for gross misconduct, even hit them I'm in the pocket. Their money goes in regardless, whether they're walking round ASDA or walking round Aston Villa ground...Sat at home or sat on the Bench.
You can't even train them hard, you have to 'buy into' the training ethos too, there are plenty of ways to 'hide' even in the hardest football training.
Short of major, major and I'm talking a dozen here (excluding the Besics who don't play anyway - but they can koff as well.) Contract cancellations

But that won't happen.
I'm at a loss to know what will or can happen and I think Ancelotti is too.

Pickford - keep
Godfrey - keep
Mina - keep
Digne - keep
Doucoure - keep
Allan - keep
Davies - keep
James - keep
DCL - keep

Keane - sell
Richy - sell
Bernard - sell
Kean - sell

Coleman - needs to be put out to pasture
Siggurdsson - send him back to Iceland
Gomes - needs volleying into the mersey
Iwobi - needs to used as BMD infill
Delph - needs shooting

Some players do need dropping.

Richarlison should be dropped for Wednesday.

There being little accountability for poor performance and attitude, it must rub off on everyone else. The players we look to for leadership, by example, can be as culpable as those who contribute manifestly less.

If you play like you're above the club, that's a huge problem which grows if left unaddressed.

Drop Richy and a few others, it isn't actually about who comes in for them at this stage. Whoever does come in can only be equally as bad as the worst outcome, and Ancelotti has to do more to cultivate an atmosphere of accountability and consequences for poor performance.

I don't think it is fair to expect this mess to have been cleared up in one full season. I do, however, have to question whether Carlo has the stomach for the complete rebuild that is required.

It is all very well to add a handful of former elite players from champions league clubs every summer, but, when the chips are down, do these players who have already won lots of trophies at better teams than Everton, have the desire to urge the team on?

We need to build a younger fitter quicker team over the next few years. Above all, we need players who will give their all for Everton.

Pickford - keep
Godfrey - keep
Mina - keep
Digne - keep
Doucoure - keep
Allan - keep
Davies - keep
James - keep
DCL - keep

Keane - sell
Richy - sell
Bernard - sell
Kean - sell

Coleman - needs to be put out to pasture
Siggurdsson - send him back to Iceland
Gomes - needs volleying into the mersey
Iwobi - needs to used as BMD infill
Delph - needs shooting
Sad thing is no one can really argue with any of this.

Kin desperate.

Didn't post or read here since last night was so annoyed and frustrated.
When a team already relegated outworks and out fights you it is really the biggest insult of all.
Players are mainly to blame. But the management and coaching staff are also culpable for it as well.
All our recruitment needs to be to sign players with the attitude of the Ben Godfrey. You won't win or compete with out the right attitude.
We have next to none of it .

Status
Not open for further replies.