Richy - sell
Bernard - sell
Kean - sell

Coleman - needs to be put out to pasture
Siggurdsson - send him back to Iceland
Gomes - needs volleying into the mersey
Iwobi - needs to used as BMD infill
Delph - needs shooting
Would that not mean Iwobi would stink the new ground out as well....a least for a while? lol

There needs to be a root and branch clear out of the playing staff
Young hungry players with a point to prove and a few experienced heads to help them along
We have the experienced players now we need a few more like Godfrey or give it 2 years and he will be gone

To blend into a match winning squad that we can rely on for anumber of seasons ala mid 80's

PSD title of thread is wrong it should be Player's attitude problem.

Agree with attitude, but it doesn't just end there, fitness, so many of our players think it's a crime to close down, how many times last night, I saw one man closing down, easily bypassed by a simple pass either side. Other teams hunt in packs, how many times I saw players in our team chasing Sheffield players and getting beaten by pace, losing the physical battle, hardly saw any Everton player win a tackle, how many times their players, with respect quite ordinary players, dribbling, nay walking through two of three would be "tacklers" . How many times over the last few games especially, was our players running into dead ends, with no team mate bothering to make themselves available, Pickford was absolutely curious last night, you could see from his face, shouting at his team mates over the lack of effort being shown.
also Carlo isn't blameless with this, that formation, three centre backs, makes out team look so disjointed and seemingly helps our team being totally toothless and over run in midfield, our crossing is without doubt pathetic because Coleman is not a good crossed and lately Digne has been much the same, shame as a good few of our goals are headers, we have two dominant forwards, who are both decent in the air and both sadly, out of form. We were outpassed, outfought and outclassed by Sheffield United last night, who were easily better with and without the ball. At one point mid way in the second half, I actually thought a lot of these players had just about given up, it was that bad.

Last edited:
Most of our squad could do with the sporting Lisbon treatment, where the fans turned up at the training ground and beat them. Seemed to work aswell because they’ve just won the title
Most could do with the Lisbon treatment

We need an identity. Honestly don’t know what our game plan ever is. Just seems to want to keep things tight and make sure players are always in the correct position. This makes players become less creative and don’t press as much. We don’t seem to play in the front foot or counter attacking. It’s abit in between.

He can get all the players he wants but once he’s got his players, he needs to create an identity on how we play.

My worry is 4 of the starting 11 last night were Carlo's signings. Some of the others players like Pickford, Digne, Richarlison and DCL you'd think will probably be in Carlo's first XI next season too. So is it really down to 3 players (Coleman, Keane and Holgate)?

The attitude is definitely missing but there's way more issues than that here. We went from playing attractive attacking football at the start of the season to this utterly turgid, negative, passive style of play. With the same players.
One good Captain, who can provide on field leadership and who can demand better off field after poor performances can completely change a team.

We need an identity. Honestly don’t know what our game plan ever is. Just seems to want to keep things tight and make sure players are always in the correct position. This makes players become less creative and don’t press as much. We don’t seem to play in the front foot or counter attacking. It’s abit in between.

He can get all the players he wants but once he’s got his players, he needs to create an identity on how we play.

In a normal season, where we'd have been out of the European race weeks ago given our results, I think Ancelotti mightve worked more on this. As it is, the fact we were handed chance after chance to make top 6, probably explains why he went pragmatic - in the hope of making Europe, generating momentum, attracting better players in the summer.

I think its partly a squad depth/quality issue, partly the squad being a mish mash of several managers vision. I don't actually think many of the first 11/13 players are terrible, they just have zero supporting cast.

I feel like other teams worked out the 433 with James pretty quickly. We probably need another properly energetic, fast, do-everything midfielder to play that and cover for James lack of pace etc. It's also completely debatable whether any aspiring top team can accommodate a luxury player these days, sadly.

As everyone says, dynamic right back, pacey winger/wide forward (as have absolutely no options like that) too. This might give us options to play differently.

We need a real leader on this team. I don't care about their age - anyone who is willing to berate every single member of the club regardless of their status. Someone who can motivate everyone from James to the U23s. Bad comparison because City are the best team in the world so it did not take much, but the defensive transformation after signing Ruben Dias is remarkable. I genuinely don't think that Stones has the season he did with anyone else in the world alongside him. Another bad comparison, but look what Thiago Silva did for Christensen and Rudiger. I don't know who that player is, but we need it in the worst way.

One of the other glaring problems that has persisted with Carlo that is extremely worrying: rewarding awful play and attitude. Too many of our players know they'll be in the starting XI next week no matter how well they play or the effort they put in. You can see that Carlo punishes people who are not good enough in training (by leaving them out, etc) but there is absolutely zero consequence from bad play or attitude in actual league games. It's been like this with all of our recent managers and it has to change. You can argue about not having quality options all day if you want, but there is nothing stopping us from dropping several players after a truly abysmal performance, which we have too often seen from this set of players. But Carlo clearly has no interest in doing that.

The only thing with the whole attitude stuff is how do you decide who the bad eggs are? who is it within our dressing room that is so influential yet so lacklustre and lazy that is seeps into the rest of the squad. I mean they might act and look like a pair of utter numpties but i doubt Tom and Dom have that sort of pull.

Attitude is an interesting one because in certain circumstances they've shown it. Some big away results with low possession but digging in and getting the result. In some ways though, that's easy. You just need to keep a good shape, work hard and take the chance when it comes along

Where we've come unstuck is taking the game to the opposition. This requires a different approach i.e. matching the opposition for desire etc but then being brave enough to show your quality. How many times last night look up to find a lack of movement and options.

Personally I think changing the culture of a club is the hardest thing to do. Look at the Premier league and think of how many clubs have actually achieved it?
Man City took several seasons to get that winning mentality after their takeover. They had plenty of poor signings along the way but built their success on several good signings.
Leicester on the face of it seem like an anomaly but they have become an exremely well run club from top to bottom. They struck lucky with Vardy and had some other good recruitment thanks to Steve Walsh.
Man Utd are proof that it can easily go the other way. Once Ferguson stepped down that winning mentality disappeared over night and they've only shown brief signs of getting it back again recently.

The reality is, a winning mentality comes from good and proper management from top to bottom, a bit of luck and good judgement in the transfer market and an element of ruthlessness to deal with anything that's stopping the club from winning. Personally I think Everton are failing in all 3 aspects at the moment.
The good management may be improving thanks to Ancelotti but even after 18 months, I think it's too early to tell. This season may seem like a failure due to our abysmal home form and some utterly disgraceful results against poor teams but overall it has been an improvement over the previous season.
With 2 games left to play...
We have 3 more wins than last season
We have 7 more points than last season
We've scored 2 more goals than last season
We've conceded 13 goals less than last season

Despite this season seeming like a failure, had we converted 3 of our 9 home defeats in to wins we'd be sitting in 4th place right now which would have been a hugely successful season. Things may not look good at the moment and morale amongst the fans has been very low after each home defeat but if we can see similar improvements next season like we have this season then things are going to start looking a bit better. The summer transfer window is going to be huge. If we can bring in at least 3 players that are going to improve the starting 11 it'll be a good step towards bringing a winning mentality.

Personally I think changing the culture of a club is the hardest thing to do. Look at the Premier league and think of how many clubs have actually achieved it?
Man City took several seasons to get that winning mentality after their takeover. They had plenty of poor signings along the way but built their success on several good signings.
Leicester on the face of it seem like an anomaly but they have become an exremely well run club from top to bottom. They struck lucky with Vardy and had some other good recruitment thanks to Steve Walsh.
Man Utd are proof that it can easily go the other way. Once Ferguson stepped down that winning mentality disappeared over night and they've only shown brief signs of getting it back again recently.

The reality is, a winning mentality comes from good and proper management from top to bottom, a bit of luck and good judgement in the transfer market and an element of ruthlessness to deal with anything that's stopping the club from winning. Personally I think Everton are failing in all 3 aspects at the moment.
The good management may be improving thanks to Ancelotti but even after 18 months, I think it's too early to tell. This season may seem like a failure due to our abysmal home form and some utterly disgraceful results against poor teams but overall it has been an improvement over the previous season.
With 2 games left to play...
We have 3 more wins than last season
We have 7 more points than last season
We've scored 2 more goals than last season
We've conceded 13 goals less than last season

Despite this season seeming like a failure, had we converted 3 of our 9 home defeats in to wins we'd be sitting in 4th place right now which would have been a hugely successful season. Things may not look good at the moment and morale amongst the fans has been very low after each home defeat but if we can see similar improvements next season like we have this season then things are going to start looking a bit better. The summer transfer window is going to be huge. If we can bring in at least 3 players that are going to improve the starting 11 it'll be a good step towards bringing a winning mentality.

I think Leicester benefited from good planning AND good luck to win that league, but impressively they have used the platform to keep their place up and around the top rather than reverting to their previous level.

I think you make a very good point overall here

Clearly a problem with attitude, but how can you quantify that with moments ??

For me we are just not good enough, and are making too many mistakes. Holgate & Godfrey made msitakes that cause a goal and almost another.
Thats ok most of the time, because a team would creat enough chances to cover for mistakes, that all teams make.

DCL chance was shocking, one of the worst ive seen, really really bad.

Apart from that, we dont create enough at all, our right side is terribe, Colemans crossing is so bad.

Richarlison is bang out of form, he cant keep the ball, cant dribble and his prssing has dropped.

We are carrying too many put of form players.

Its a very fine line between success U& failure...regardless of how some feel today, we are not far off at all. We just need more, and to be patent.

I think Leicester benefited from good planning AND good luck to win that league, but impressively they have used the platform to keep their place up and around the top rather than reverting to their previous level.

They finished 12th, 9th and 9th after the title win. Got 5th last season so not quite the fairy story.

You know it must be bad if even I've bothered to try and write some words.

Excellent piece summing up what many Evertonians believe. There is a real lack of winning mentality at the club. The majority of players play in second gear thinking its first. Everton have been on the tv and then its followed by say liverpool, city, Leeds etc. The difference in work rate, aggression, teamwork, movement is there for all to see. Its seem acceptable to players of our club that they can turn it on now and again for big matches but return to second gear for others.

I have said over last number of years one can see if everton are up for it within the first 5 mins of a match. It's rare. One could make a lot of money if they fancy betting on Everton by looking at the attitude in first 5 mins of the match. I am involved in coaching as a profession. I speak to people in the game on a social level re everton. My understanding is that people outside our club believe the first team post Moyes Everton to be a bit of a soft touch. Some talent there but not a winning mentality.

I look at an example of an individual. It's only an example of one. There are many many more. Holgate. The, I have made it player. Talented to a degree. Premier league standard, well possibly yes. His physical demeanor and concentration level and desire seem to be influenced by more what he looks and comes across as, rather than a true winner.

For me they really need a reality check but I'm not sure they know what reality is. We need characters who are real winners. (Technically gifted of course) . We are on the right track with player like godfrey. Carlo needs to be ruthless. These players, if they cannot comprehend what they do not offer need to be very quickly moved on. If that is not possible they need to be called out individually on their attitude and left with no hiding place when fans are back. Its consequence time.

Status
Not open for further replies.