• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Fabian Delph

Status
Not open for further replies.
Playing the devil’s advocate here, but if we could get him on a one-year extension at 40-60% of his wages, would it be a risk worth taking?

During a transformational period, Delph playing a 1/3 of the season (12 league games) would be more effective than having say Gomes for the entire season.
In theory you have a point based on recent performances and being available.
But what has he really contributed since he’s been here?
I agree with the notion that he’s miraculously found fitness and form when he’s playing for a contract.
It’s a bit like employees returning to work from sickness when their sick pay runs out and all of a sudden they feel better!
That’s exactly what we need to move away from.

In theory you have a point based on recent performances and being available.
But what has he really contributed since he’s been here?
I agree with the notion that he’s miraculously found fitness and form when he’s playing for a contract.
It’s a bit like employees returning to work from sickness when their sick pay runs out and all of a sudden they feel better!
That’s exactly what we need to move away from.
Aye, we mustn’t be swayed by his recent upturn especially when you consider the potential reasons why. We need to move away form knee-jerk purchases.

Over his time here, he’s been a failure: a good player on his day who does impact on the team, but he isn’t available to do it enough.

We do have an issue however with VDB leaving, the Gomes situation, Delph’s departure and Allan a year older. It isn’t a great situation really.

Aye, we mustn’t be swayed by his recent upturn especially when you consider the potential reasons why. We need to move away form knee-jerk purchases.

Over his time here, he’s been a failure: a good player on his day who does impact on the team, but he isn’t available to do it enough.

We do have an issue however with VDB leaving, the Gomes situation, Delph’s departure and Allan a year older. It isn’t a great situation really.
Great opportunity though to bring in young, hungry players with a point to prove. - opposite to what we currently have in that dept so I see it as a positive.

But I am an optimist though?

This lad's played well last few games. His contribution dosent match his wages though, so I'd bin him off and find a younger faster replacement on half the wages. If we don't find one then he's an option for next season, but certainly not on 120k per week, and we know not to expect more than 1/4 of a season out of him.

This lad's played well last few games. His contribution dosent match his wages though, so I'd bin him off and find a younger faster replacement on half the wages. If we don't find one then he's an option for next season, but certainly not on 120k per week, and we know not to expect more than 1/4 of a season out of him.
Problem is I think that has been the mindset of previous managers/DOFs.

We cannot afford to carry passengers who we accept will only play 1/4 o the games. Injuries are par for the course at all football clubs which is why we need players who want/are able to ordinarily play a whole season.
Otherwise we have a few bad injuries on top of the likes of Delph and Mina etc who are only expected to play so many matches at best and we will have a crisis every season.
(Definition of insanity is to keep doing the same things and expect a different outcome)

The only contract, if any, that should be offered to him, is a pay as you play deal.

I`d find it highly unlikely that he`d accept this, as there`ll be a team in the Championship that will take him, if he lowers his wages.

Has a pay as you play deal ever actually happened outside of amateur non league clubs?

Always see it mentioned, but there is no precedent for it in professional football.

As for Delph, we should not be offering him a contract. All this run in the team does is make it that I don't think he's been a complete waste of time and I will look back on him with the tiniest amount of fondness.

Has a pay as you play deal ever actually happened outside of amateur non league clubs?

Always see it mentioned, but there is no precedent for it in professional football.

As for Delph, we should not be offering him a contract. All this run in the team does is make it that I don't think he's been a complete waste of time and I will look back on him with the tiniest amount of fondness.

I believe Andy Carrol`s last contract at Newcastle was a pay as you play.

Since then he`s been on six month rolling contracts, at Reading and WBA.

We cannot have sicknotes like Delph, Gomes, Gbamin and Mina on the books after this summer. Thankfully I see all of them leaving, plus a whole load of others too. Time for a clearance sale.
Thing is, we get rid of delph, gomes and gbamin (who I believe had a decent spell of games in Russia and stayed fit),

We are left with doucoure, allan, Dele and Davies in midfield. Only doucoure and Allan are good enough in my opinion, and neither are consistent. Realistically, we need 2 new CMs at least.

Saying that, Delph really needs to leave. His recent 'upturn' still hasn't set the world alight, its just better than it was.

Thing is, we get rid of delph, gomes and gbamin (who I believe had a decent spell of games in Russia and stayed fit),

We are left with doucoure, allan, Dele and Davies in midfield. Only doucoure and Allan are good enough in my opinion, and neither are consistent. Realistically, we need 2 new CMs at least.

Saying that, Delph really needs to leave. His recent 'upturn' still hasn't set the world alight, its just better than it was.
This really.

We need two good CM’s too. I can’t ever see us relying on Gbamin, Gomes or Davies. Allan could well move back to Italy this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back