Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Farhad Moshiri

7+ Years On... Your Verdict On Farhad Moshiri

• Pleased

Votes: 107 7.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 1,290 92.3%

• Total voters
It seems to be a general understanding that Moshiri has decided to pursue this Everton investment as he sees the profit potential. I see nothing at all wrong with that if by the end of his association with us, we have a new stadium and are left stronger in all areas than before he arrived.

I'm not sure though, and I doubt, that profit / ROI is the be all and end all for him here. I would see it more as a vanity project on his part, hoping in the meantime he has been bitten by the Everton bug, and has developed, or will do so, a genuine affection and attachment to us.

We know he is a keen football fan anyway, and this is his opportunity to publically step away from his association with Usmanov (whatever goes on between them privately in relation to this) and stake his claim as it were. If things go the way we want, then it will be Moshiri, not alone, but in the main, that will get the acclaim (and profit). The same goes for failure.

I stopped long ago, and early into his association with us, in thinking that we would be a miracle worker. This is no Abramovitch type investment, and even had it been, there are restrictions in the way of wild transfer spending.

I see Moshiri as a wealthy, very wealthy individual, with a very impressive track record of achievement, and even more impressive contacts and networks, to include individuals far wealthier than he, whom he can and will work with to access leverage for our advantage.

It is hard to see how someone like him would jump into a project of this nature without extensive preparation in advance. The fact that he took the plunge with us must indicate that he is confident of making it a success. Our course billionaires are still prone to mistakes and incorrect decisions, but the methodical manner in which things are changing is very encouraging, as I see it.

Last edited:
No offence mate but you don't really understand STCC if you believe next season we will onyl be able to increase wages by that amount

Little breakdown of VERY likely scenarios

7m increase allowed by STCC regulations
2m McGeady (2m trading profit)
8m Cleverley (8m trading profit) - as the deal doesn't go through until the opening of the new window
15-20m McCarthy (will give us a trading profit of roughly 12m - very low estimate)
Deulofeu 10-12m (7m trading profit)

just with those deals and not counting any additional departures, would see us allowed to raise wages by 36m per year or 692k pw

Thats not including the new sponsorship deals - as you phrase it as 'a bit more' is understanding it, the low estimate is that the new shirt deals and training ground sponsorship will net us about a 12m per season increase over the existing deals/or lack of them

that 12m counts as pure profit in terms of STCC regulations so thats another 230k pw purely allowed because of that sponsorship

So we are effectively gonna be able to increase wages under the regulations by about 920k per week minimum NOT 335k per week like you stated

Does that change your opinion on what the club can or can't do re wages and the fact STCC is in no way shape or form any form of limiting factor for Summer recruitment and spending?

I hope you are right. Sounds a lot better.

It seems to be a general understanding that Moshiri has decided to pursue this Everton investment as he sees the profit potential. I see nothing at all wrong with that if by the end of his association with us, we have a new stadium and are left stronger in all areas than before he arrived.

I'm not sure though, and I doubt, that profit / ROI is the be all and end all for him here. I would see it more as a vanity project on his part, hoping in the meantime he has been bitten by the Everton bug, and has developed, or will do so, a genuine affection and attachment to us.

We know he is a keen football fan anyway, and this is his opportunity to publically step away from his association with Usmanov (whatever goes on between them privately in relation to this) and stake his claim as it were. If things go the way we want, then it will be Moshiri, not alone, but in the main, that will get the acclaim (and profit). The same goes for failure.

I stopped long ago, and early into his association with us, in thinking that we would be a miracle worker. This is no Abramovitch type investment, and even had it been, there are restrictions in the way of wild transfer spending.

I see Moshiri as a wealthy, very wealthy individual, with a very impressive track record of achievement, and even more impressive contacts and networks, to include individuals far wealthier than he, whom he can and will work with to access leverage for our advantage.

It is hard to see how someone like him would jump into a project of this nature without extensive preparation in advance. The fact that he took the plunge with us must indicate that he is confident of making it a success. Our course billionaires are still prone to mistakes and incorrect decisions, but the methodical manner in which things are changing is very encouraging, as I see it.

the only people I've seen claim his Everton investment is down to being a profit potential - as in buy, get the stadium done and sell up, are people on forums mate, and usually ones who are very negative to all things Everton do mate.

The bloke wouldn't need to even bother with us if he was just concerned about making more money via the club, he does that with ease in other ventures, his wealth has gone up about 400m this year alone via other sources,

I stopped long ago, and early into his association with us, in thinking that we would be a miracle worker. This is no Abromovitch type investment, and even had it been, there are restrictions in the way of wild transfer spending.

Football clubs are not the things to invest in if you want to make huge ROI. Otherwise plenty more would be getting snapped up by all sorts. They normally involve a huge cash outlay for a potential long term return but even then you have fans demanding increased spending, wages rising hugely and the double edged sword that the more successful you are the harder it will be for anyone to buy it off you as the price will be so high.

Moshiri jumping out of Arsenal suggests that rather than just making money (which he'd done at Arsenal), he wants exposure as a football club owner, control of his own club, a Jewell in his portfolio to showcase to others in his stratosphere. Everton is giving him that, he's gone from a virtual unknown to a household name on the premier league circuit, his name will go down in history if he delivers the stadium and returns us to trophy winning ways. This is the sort of immortality that just making tonnes of cash for oil or telecoms firms doesn't get you.

I hope you are right. Sounds a lot better.

It is mate, and it's effectively a very conservative estimate on what we could raise it by, the likelihood is we will sell several more fringe players or people the manager doesn't want anymore, also likely that we will see an increase in small commercial deals and partnerships as well, even if it's just 1m here and there - it adds up substantially.

Not even factoring the summer clear out will (whilst not allowing an increase) trim down a bloated squad and all those wages the players are on go into the pot for new additions/contract extensions etc.

The only limiting factor for us this Summer is how much Moshiri signs off on the board/manager/Walsh to spend.

Football clubs are not the things to invest in if you want to make huge ROI. Otherwise plenty more would be getting snapped up by all sorts. They normally involve a huge cash outlay for a potential long term return but even then you have fans demanding increased spending, wages rising hugely and the double edged sword that the more successful you are the harder it will be for anyone to buy it off you as the price will be so high.

Moshiri jumping out of Arsenal suggests that rather than just making money (which he'd done at Arsenal), he wants exposure as a football club owner, control of his own club, a Jewell in his portfolio to showcase to others in his stratosphere. Everton is giving him that, he's gone from a virtual unknown to a household name on the premier league circuit, his name will go down in history if he delivers the stadium and returns us to trophy winning ways. This is the sort of immortality that just making tonnes of cash for oil or telecoms firms doesn't get you.

The other reasons are as a vanity project, or as a form of being able to use it as effectively a security to leverage other huge loans (Glazers i believe have done that and Kroenke is rumoured to be going to do so in order to pay for his NFL franchises new stadium)

@roydo
Have a word mate.
Moshiri's profit will not come from Everton Football Club
The value of his investment will go up with the new stadium increased revenue etc.
Moshiri is looking at the big picture of which Everton is a small but significant and vital part
The docklands are where the big profits are to be made.
But for the docklands to become attractive to the big ( in the words of @roydo ) behemoth real estate investors , they need an focus or if you will an iconic building on the docklands to get things rolling.
In Dublin it was the Point theatre ( now the 3Arena )
That brought hotels , convention centre etc and the whole project took off
In lLiverpool docks that iconic building or focus will be Everton's Stadium.
It will bring 60,000 people to the area for 25/30 days a year min.
Add in concerts stadium tours etc and it's a hive that all others will feed off
Hence Moshiri buying the Liver building
Offices for the bigger project.
Someone had to make a first move to get the project off the ground and that was Moshiri.
Why do you think Usmanov bought him out.
Usmanov effectively bought shares in a club that are no use to him
They give him no more power , no control no seat on the board , so a waste of money.
Not if it paved the way for a bigger deal for USM and their associates to get involved.
The 3or 4 hundred million Moshiri will put into Everton are small fry in the big picture

@roydo
Have a word mate.
The value of his investment will go up with the new stadium increased revenue etc.
Moshiri is looking at the big picture of which Everton is a small but significant and vital part
But for the docklands to become attractive to the big ( in the words of @roydo ) behemoth real estate investors , they need an focus or if you will an iconic building on the docklands to get things rolling.
Someone had to make a first move to get the project off the ground and that was Moshiri.
They give him no more power , no control no seat on the board , so a waste of money.
Not if it paved the way for a bigger deal for USM and their associates to get involved.
The 3or 4 hundred million Moshiri will put into Everton are small fry in the big picture

Did you challenge @roydo to a fight

@roydo
Have a word mate.

Well thats roughly the conclusion I reached when I heard a company I know well, were very interested. Its purely my viewpoint, not ITK even a little bit.

But every development always needs a kick start/statement development; even a modest housing estate. The first ones built are always the ones designed with an award in mind; a new distribution hub often have an Amazon, or Asda, or other such names as a signature tenant. Docks plus football ground? Makes a huge sense to me.

No offence mate but you don't really understand STCC if you believe next season we will onyl be able to increase wages by that amount

Little breakdown of VERY likely scenarios

7m increase allowed by STCC regulations
2m McGeady (2m trading profit)
8m Cleverley (8m trading profit) - as the deal doesn't go through until the opening of the new window
15-20m McCarthy (will give us a trading profit of roughly 12m - very low estimate)
Deulofeu 10-12m (7m trading profit)

just with those deals and not counting any additional departures, would see us allowed to raise wages by 36m per year or 692k pw

Thats not including the new sponsorship deals - as you phrase it as 'a bit more' is understanding it, the low estimate is that the new shirt deals and training ground sponsorship will net us about a 12m per season increase over the existing deals/or lack of them

that 12m counts as pure profit in terms of STCC regulations so thats another 230k pw purely allowed because of that sponsorship

So we are effectively gonna be able to increase wages under the regulations by about 920k per week minimum NOT 335k per week like you stated

Does that change your opinion on what the club can or can't do re wages and the fact STCC is in no way shape or form any form of limiting factor for Summer recruitment and spending?
Add to that the potential sale of Rom which would generate a massive profit just as the Stones sale did last summer.
Whatever happens regarding our net spend the STCC regulations, have not been, and will not be the determining factor.

Add to that the potential sale of Rom which would generate a massive profit just as the Stones sale did last summer.
Whatever happens regarding our net spend the STCC regulations, have not been, and will not be the determining factor.

Basically so, and it shouldn't be a limiting factor for the forseeable future.

This season - clearly as i showed we are fine with it even without any loss of Barkley or Lukaku

Should,Lukaku go next summer then - basically we are gonna have massive scope again for STCC

Then factor in a likely naming rights to Goodison before we move with additional sponsorships from various other sources leading up to the ground move etc.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back