Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Farhad Moshiri

7+ Years On... Your Verdict On Farhad Moshiri

• Pleased

Votes: 107 7.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 1,290 92.3%

• Total voters
By a clown called Jim White.
Rooney.webp

Shush Davek

Just the media attention he has brought to us is amazing. We are back being relevant and talked about daily where it used to be once in a blue moon.

We must get in 2/3 very good players by the end of the window though.

Yes, but if we don't it won't be because we haven't got the money. It just doesn't make sense to suggest
koeman won't be given the funds.

Great post and one that nails the whole net spend argument.

In order for us to improve as a team the most obvious straight forward way of doing that is to buy better players. And the easiest way of buying better players is to spend a lot of money on them (transfer fee and wages).

Importantly though it needs to be done over a long period of time, 3-5 seasons of having a decent net spend should ensure that we improve our team to a level where we can challenge and win trophies. Thats the easiest way.

But it's not a guarantee if we spend a lot of money on rubbish players. Or we could buy better players than we have quite cheaply and do it with a negative net spend.

Or if we sell one player for big money (ala Lukaku) it will skew that seasons net spend meaning it's unlikely that we will have a significant net spend that window. Doesn't mean we can't improve though. Which is the aim.

Completely agree that the player recruitment is the key issue for us these next few years, irrespective of how much they cost, hence why I stated that net spend isn't the be all and end all in my original post. What you do with whatever money you have is what counts.

However the issue I was trying to highlight which you state as well is that generally more money and more wages= better players the majority of the time. We can all name expensive flops (schevchenko) and amazing bargains (kante), but the overwhelming fact is that the more money you stump up the better your chances of signing a quality player. I'm not telling you anything you don't already know, it's some other posters who seem to be in denial about this.

The fact is I don't care too much about our net spend, so long as our money is spent properly. Some of our signings this window have been shrewd acquisitions- players in their early 20's yet to reach their full potential. I'm all for those signings. My concern is some short term thinking that still seems to be present in our business. Williams last year is a perfect example. A 32 year old centre half, who's spent his entire career in lower league or a bottom half premier league team. He looked average last year and is unlikely to be better this year. Similar short term thinking can be applied for Wayne Rooney. He was a legend and was a great player. know it was a free transfer, but his wages certainly aren't cheap. That allocation of our budget could have gone somewhere else. It's why we really shouldn't sign Giroud. 31 years old who could perhaps do something good this year, and maybe next. Then in two seasons we'd have to replace both him and Rooney. When you can't go out and splash loads of cash and have an ultra positive net spend you need to be smarter and plan ahead for the future seasons, not just the immediate present.

Completely agree that the player recruitment is the key issue for us these next few years, irrespective of how much they cost, hence why I stated that net spend isn't the be all and end all in my original post. What you do with whatever money you have is what counts.

However the issue I was trying to highlight which you state as well is that generally more money and more wages= better players the majority of the time. We can all name expensive flops (schevchenko) and amazing bargains (kante), but the overwhelming fact is that the more money you stump up the better your chances of signing a quality player. I'm not telling you anything you don't already know, it's some other posters who seem to be in denial about this.

The fact is I don't care too much about our net spend, so long as our money is spent properly. Some of our signings this window have been shrewd acquisitions- players in their early 20's yet to reach their full potential. I'm all for those signings. My concern is some short term thinking that still seems to be present in our business. Williams last year is a perfect example. A 32 year old centre half, who's spent his entire career in lower league or a bottom half premier league team. He looked average last year and is unlikely to be better this year. Similar short term thinking can be applied for Wayne Rooney. He was a legend and was a great player. know it was a free transfer, but his wages certainly aren't cheap. That allocation of our budget could have gone somewhere else. It's why we really shouldn't sign Giroud. 31 years old who could perhaps do something good this year, and maybe next. Then in two seasons we'd have to replace both him and Rooney. When you can't go out and splash loads of cash and have an ultra positive net spend you need to be smarter and plan ahead for the future seasons, not just the immediate present.

Good post, some well made points. I think the Williams and Rooney thing is about taking us closer to the big money pots, meaning we can afford to replace them in two years time. Rooney has probably repaid his wages in shirt sales and such deals since his return already. Williams although cumbersome was partly responsible for us having a much better defence last year than the two previous years, so he has contributed. We went from 11th to 7th, so is that not enough prize money to justify the spend?

Whatever the truth of it all, it is not a quick fix, gone are the days when one club has all the cash and can pick the players they want (like Citeh, Chelski) - the money is big for all clubs now - Watford just spent 18 mill on a player, I mean Watford!

So I suspect people will continue to be frustrated, but the growth and development of the club is probably a 3-5 window fix to be at the level we all want, and from last year's debacle, I'd say starting from this year. Some very good players for 1st team and future bought this year.

I think you could understand it ruined our rep a bit. It was the start of all the young stars whining about having to play CL.
What it ruined was our best chance in a decade to break into the top 4 or at least win a trophy with 4 top class players and 1 world class striker.

That's criminal enough but honestly it hasn't hurt our progress.

What has hurt us is that although Lukaku made us decent money in 3 years Martinez barely made a profit of any of his other signings and since he left both Ron and Ross will be sold at below market value.

We are hoping Walsh corrects this but it will be hard. Moyes was great and unearthing gems and frankly neither this regime or Martinez have shown to be up to that standard.

I'm not sure Koeman is the answer. We need the next young Moyes.

I think you could understand it ruined our rep a bit. It was the start of all the young stars whining about having to play CL.

That has happened since the CL started. It will always happen. They want more money and to play for a glamour club, not CL football.

I don't think it ruined our rep at all. It could have I suppose. No potential signing will care if we finish 7th or 11th, they care about how much we will be paying them.

What it ruined was our best chance in a decade to break into the top 4 or at least win a trophy with 4 top class players and 1 world class striker.

That's criminal enough but honestly it hasn't hurt our progress.

What has hurt us is that although Lukaku made us decent money in 3 years Martinez barely made a profit of any of his other signings and since he left both Ron and Ross will be sold at below market value.

We are hoping Walsh corrects this but it will be hard. Moyes was great and unearthing gems and frankly neither this regime or Martinez have shown to be up to that standard.

I'm not sure Koeman is the answer. We need the next young Moyes.

Moyes was great at unearthing gems when he had to. With a bit of money he buys people like Beattie and Bily.

Holgate is potentially a gem. Galloway too but that is looking a bit less so now.

Hahahahaha wow what, how exactly were we best of the rest when he left us?

My god....

I mean the seasons before and after he was here. He wasn't in his final season hence him being sacked.

So he did not destroy the club as once he left we reverted to our past standing in the league. If he destroyed the club/set us back 10 years we would still be struggling which we are not.

Well not yet anyway....

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back