Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Farhad Moshiri

7+ Years On... Your Verdict On Farhad Moshiri

• Pleased

Votes: 107 7.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 1,290 92.3%

• Total voters
Completely agree that the player recruitment is the key issue for us these next few years, irrespective of how much they cost, hence why I stated that net spend isn't the be all and end all in my original post. What you do with whatever money you have is what counts.

However the issue I was trying to highlight which you state as well is that generally more money and more wages= better players the majority of the time. We can all name expensive flops (schevchenko) and amazing bargains (kante), but the overwhelming fact is that the more money you stump up the better your chances of signing a quality player. I'm not telling you anything you don't already know, it's some other posters who seem to be in denial about this.

The fact is I don't care too much about our net spend, so long as our money is spent properly. Some of our signings this window have been shrewd acquisitions- players in their early 20's yet to reach their full potential. I'm all for those signings. My concern is some short term thinking that still seems to be present in our business. Williams last year is a perfect example. A 32 year old centre half, who's spent his entire career in lower league or a bottom half premier league team. He looked average last year and is unlikely to be better this year. Similar short term thinking can be applied for Wayne Rooney. He was a legend and was a great player. know it was a free transfer, but his wages certainly aren't cheap. That allocation of our budget could have gone somewhere else. It's why we really shouldn't sign Giroud. 31 years old who could perhaps do something good this year, and maybe next. Then in two seasons we'd have to replace both him and Rooney. When you can't go out and splash loads of cash and have an ultra positive net spend you need to be smarter and plan ahead for the future seasons, not just the immediate present.
I agree with you that net spend is not the be all and end all. Christophe Samba was signed for 12m In the same week that Seamus was signed for 60k. One gives a great net spend, but the other is a much better player. I do acknowledge that this is the exception rather than the rule.
I do disagree with your implication about buying older players with little or no re-sale value. If those players can get us into the champions league rather than the europa cup, then the outlay was worth it, both financially and in terms of progressing the club. Sometimes short term thinking can lead to long term rewards.

My god....

I mean the seasons before and after he was here. He wasn't in his final season hence him being sacked.

So he did not destroy the club as once he left we reverted to our past standing in the league. If he destroyed the club/set us back 10 years we would still be struggling which we are not.

Well not yet anyway....
Agreed that comments about destroying the club are unnecessarily hyperbolic. No man under God destroys Everton football club. The damage, though, was very substantial and a huge opportunity missed - Martinez had us on a relegation trajectory by the end with an unfit, demotivated squad that needed a complete rebuild. Some of his buys were so bad they defied categorisation and had to be sent home on gardening leave, not something we're used to seeing at Everton. So we know what failure looks like.

The mirror image of that, success, would have seen steady improvement over the past four years under someone capable, and into the top four. Of course we can only speculate on how that might have happened, but it's not a crazy scenario. For every Martinez, there must exist an anti-Martinez. The point is, though, that it's completely wrong to look at the Martinez fiasco as two bad years and then we paid him off. It's far worse than that, and a principle reason why we're looking at a seriously big gap up to the CL places from where we are now.

Moyes was great at unearthing gems when he had to. With a bit of money he buys people like Beattie and Bily.

Holgate is potentially a gem. Galloway too but that is looking a bit less so now.
Every manager has flops. He also bought Fellaini and others.

Everyone went on about Galloway and it looks like he's not up to our standard so people should forget counting their chickens before they are hatched.

It's not a competition. I wish our current regime the best but Moyes is a hard act to follow.

Every manager has flops. He also bought Fellaini and others.

Everyone went on about Galloway and it looks like he's not up to our standard so people should forget counting their chickens before they are hatched.

It's not a competition. I wish our current regime the best but Moyes is a hard act to follow.
I would have loved Moshiri to have taken us over in the summer of 2009, when we had just finished 5th in the league and lost the FA Cup final. We had a much stronger base to our team, then when koeman took over. It would probably only needed a net spend of 50-100m for us to get top 4 and remember there was no fair play rules to abide by then. It went sour for moyes in the latter part of his career here and frankly it's been a nightmare for him since. But many don't seem to appreciate the excellent job he did here on a shoestring budget for a number of years.

Good post, some well made points. I think the Williams and Rooney thing is about taking us closer to the big money pots, meaning we can afford to replace them in two years time. Rooney has probably repaid his wages in shirt sales and such deals since his return already. Williams although cumbersome was partly responsible for us having a much better defence last year than the two previous years, so he has contributed. We went from 11th to 7th, so is that not enough prize money to justify the spend?

Whatever the truth of it all, it is not a quick fix, gone are the days when one club has all the cash and can pick the players they want (like Citeh, Chelski) - the money is big for all clubs now - Watford just spent 18 mill on a player, I mean Watford!

So I suspect people will continue to be frustrated, but the growth and development of the club is probably a 3-5 window fix to be at the level we all want, and from last year's debacle, I'd say starting from this year. Some very good players for 1st team and future bought this year.
We, nor any team, get money from shirt sales brother. Umbro will give us a set fee per year as with any club and that is pretty much that unfortunately.

Rooney helps raise the profile of the club worldwide, mind.

Good post though.

That has happened since the CL started. It will always happen. They want more money and to play for a glamour club, not CL football.

I don't think it ruined our rep at all. It could have I suppose. No potential signing will care if we finish 7th or 11th, they care about how much we will be paying them.
If 7th was Europe, they'd care
I'm not sure Koeman is the answer. We need the next young Moyes.
Next Simeone/Mourinho/Ferguson
Moyes was a good man, but never in a million years, a winner.

I would have loved Moshiri to have taken us over in the summer of 2009, when we had just finished 5th in the league and lost the FA Cup final. We had a much stronger base to our team, then when koeman took over. It would probably only needed a net spend of 50-100m for us to get top 4 and remember there was no fair play rules to abide by then. It went sour for moyes in the latter part of his career here and frankly it's been a nightmare for him since. But many don't seem to appreciate the excellent job he did here on a shoestring budget for a number of years.
Mate. Moshiri has no interest in investing in the team. We're sell to buy but he will help us with the stadium.

The reality is when he took over we had 5 top class players (although I know some disagree with Deulofeu) unfortunately instead of adding to them and replacing the aging players with other top class players he decided to sell them to rebuild the squad.

Now we have no top class players so even if he wanted to invest now we wouldn't be able to attract them.

In fairness the transfer market going crazy may have scared him.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back