Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Farhad Moshiri

7+ Years On... Your Verdict On Farhad Moshiri

• Pleased

Votes: 107 7.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 1,290 92.3%

• Total voters
Genuine question

Where do you think the "warchest" was meant to come from?
Based on the media hype leading up to summer 2016 which I suspect, but cannot prove, was at least partially orchastrated by Moshiri to raise club profile, sell tickets, help convince targets like Koeman etc it was supposed to come from Mosh with many suspecting Usmanov in reality.
It was not supposed to come from selling players and club borrowing. At least that's what the hype suggested and was fanned by 'itk's' like Esk who weaved a tale of a string of top singings without selling our own best players as well as a super stadium, top boardroom execs etc. Anyone who pointed out that the evidence didn't match the hype was labelled a bedwetter.
By the way I greatly appreciate the many good things the Mosh has done. I'm just not willing to swallow tripe that contradicts the actual evidence.

Based on the media hype leading up to summer 2016 which I suspect, but cannot prove, was at least partially orchastrated by Moshiri to raise club profile, sell tickets, help convince targets like Koeman etc it was supposed to come from Mosh with many suspecting Usmanov in reality.
It was not supposed to come from selling players and club borrowing. At least that's what the hype suggested and was fanned by 'itk's' like Esk who weaved a tale of a string of top singings without selling our own best players as well as a super stadium, top boardroom execs etc. Anyone who pointed out that the evidence didn't match the hype was labelled a bedwetter.
By the way I greatly appreciate the many good things the Mosh has done. I'm just not willing to swallow tripe that contradicts the actual evidence.

No, where was the cash coming from?

So if I'm reading this correctly, all the club is doing is getting it's hands on the Stones money City owe us early?

They're not going to give it us for free, so hopefully it's at a better rate than the £60mill facility open to us, unless that's been spent?
If not, then it's a bit weird.

At no point have I believed there was a 100m warchest, all I know is that we have spent more money in the last 18months than we ever have.

Show me the your working out, show me how we managed to spend the 60m overdraft, plus the improved commercial deals, when by your own words "We largely spent what we made by selling our players".

You are all smoke and mirrors my frandel.

For someone that never believed the great warchest hype of summer 2016 you sure were very enthusastic in your obnoxious manner towards, and child like name calling of, anyone who dared question it's veracity.
When you subsequently admitted you drank the kool aid that summer and referred to Fraud Toshiri and the smoke and mirrors you were obviously referring to a completely seperate phenomenon.
I can't prove we've spent £1 of the facility. I'm just an Evertonian who posts his opinions on a forum. I try to base them on the available evidence. Not wishful thinking, emotion, defensiveness on behalf of my team, suspect itk sources, manipulation of the media by vested interests etc.
We took out a £60m facility last summer to fund things like player purchase according to the Echo. We bought Sygy with Swansea demanding a huge down payment according to reports. We failed to sell Barkley despite best efforts. Approaching a new transfer window we've just taken out another loan. Conclusion; It's very likely we don't have the full £60m facility remaining.
It's easy to be obnoxious and name call someone rs or bedwetter or repeatedly dismiss thier opinion by posting lollollol in response. It only requires a child's IQ to do that. It takes intelligence to formulate and articulate a strong counter argument ya know.

For someone that never believed the great warchest hype of summer 2016 you sure were very enthusastic in your obnoxious manner towards, and child like name calling of, anyone who dared question it's veracity.
When you subsequently admitted you drank the kool aid that summer and referred to Fraud Toshiri and the smoke and mirrors you were obviously referring to a completely seperate phenomenon.
I can't prove we've spent £1 of the facility. I'm just an Evertonian who posts his opinions on a forum. I try to base them on the available evidence. Not wishful thinking, emotion, defensiveness on behalf of my team, suspect itk sources, manipulation of the media by vested interests etc.
We took out a £60m facility last summer to fund things like player purchase according to the Echo. We bought Sygy with Swansea demanding a huge down payment according to reports. We failed to sell Barkley despite best efforts. Approaching a new transfer window we've just taken out another loan. Conclusion; It's very likely we don't have the full £60m facility remaining.
It's easy to be obnoxious and name call someone rs or bedwetter or repeatedly dismiss thier opinion by posting lollollol in response. It only requires a child's IQ to do that. It takes intelligence to formulate and articulate a strong counter argument ya know.

lollollollol

Ok mate

xxx

There's also TV money and a Chinese facility (loan) taken out that simply wouldn't have been required if the £100m warchest had been real.

Provide one then, where was the warchest cash (or any amount of transfer budget above sales for that matter) supposed to come from if not from increased revenues & borrowing?

Provide one then, where was the warchest cash (or any amount of transfer budget above sales for that matter) supposed to come from if not from increased revenues & borrowing?

There was supposed to be investment in the playing squad from Moshiri, whether it be in the form of a loan or otherwise. He has loaned us 80 million, but this has only been used to transfer our debt balance from previous creditors to Moshiri. He has the ability to loan us further money that could be used to invest in the playing squad, but taking out a 60 million pound overdraft and this further loan announced today suggests that he is avoiding that option.

People mention that we have never spent as much in the last 18 months, but we have never generated as much revenue in the last 18 months either. The only club in the world that has received more money in player sales over the last 18 months would be Barcelona if they actually did receive the Neymar cash, otherwise it is Everton who have received the most amount of money in player sales in world football. Then you have the record TV deal that is allowing every club in the league to spend more than they ever have, and a 60 million pound overdraft, and a further 13 million loan announced today.

Last edited:
There was supposed to be investment in the playing squad from Moshiri, whether it be in the form of a loan or otherwise. He has loaned us 80 million, but this has only been used to transfer our debt balance from previous creditors to Moshiri. He has the ability to loan us further money that could be used to invest in the playing squad, but taking out a 60 million pound overdraft and this further loan announced today suggests that he is avoiding that option.

People mention that we have never spent as much in the last 18 months, but we have never generated as much revenue in the last 18 months either. The only club in the world that has received more money in player sales over the last 18 months would be Barcelona if they actually did receive the Neymar cash, otherwise it is Everton who have received the most amount of money in player sales in world football. Then you have the record TV deal that is allowing every club in the league to spend more than they ever have, and a 60 million pound overdraft, and a further 13 million loan announced today.

The lads point was increased borrowing is another sign that we didn't have a sizable transfer kitty when in reality anything spent can only be from revenue or borrowing anyway.

The increase in TV Revenue doesn't cover the increase in transfer spending (£44m vs ~£65m for 2017) thats before you get to the increased wage bill etc.

We've gone from loans with BVI companies getting signed off by car dealers in Ireland to Loans with the Worlds biggest bank & Santander.

We've gone from loans with BVI companies getting signed off by car dealers in Ireland to Loans with the Worlds biggest bank & Santander.

Indeed. But what we do not have is Moshiri lending the club money in order to facilitate spending in the transfer market, which is what the media and many blues would have you believe. Instead, the expenditure in the transfer market has been facilitated by Everton’s own revenues, comprising the sale of our best players, a record breaking TV deal, and a significant amount of credit from commercial banks.

That’s what the available evidence is suggesting at the moment anyway. There is little evidence to suggest that Moshiri has been providing us with additional loans on the downlow. If he has, then the club’s debt will have increased to a point that it could be approaching or exceeding the club’s value.

Indeed. But what we do not have is Moshiri lending the club money in order to facilitate spending in the transfer market, which is what the media and many blues would have you believe. Instead, the expenditure in the transfer market has been facilitated by Everton’s own revenues, comprising the sale of our best players, a record breaking TV deal, and a significant amount of credit from commercial banks.

That’s what the available evidence is suggesting at the moment anyway. There is little evidence to suggest that Moshiri has been providing us with additional loans on the downlow. If he has, then the club’s debt will have increased to a point that it could be approaching or exceeding the club’s value.

Hes already lent us 80m, that we know of.

Why would he "give" us anymore when he only owns 49%?

Why would he increase the shareholding of everybody else on his own dime?

We increased every single 1 of our commercial deals last year, from kit sponsor, to sleeve sponsor, to the 75m deal signed with USM, plus the massive increase in TV money, so yes, we are "spending our own money", but none of it would have been possible without the 80m injection from Moshiri, which for the record saved us at least 4m a year in interest payments alone.

It baffles me what else people think this fella should do, he honestly must be sitting there wondering how utterly dim the majority of Everton fans are, people dont look at the bigger picture at all, they just form an opinion based on headlines such as "Koeman was a bad manager" and my old favourite "sell to buy".

In the last 18months we have spent 240m on players. its close to around 100m NET, in 18months, since the Premier League was formed we have spent LESS than that amount on players, Moshiri comes in and we spend massive money on players, hes not a scout, he doesnt pick the players, he just backed the manager, well, tried to.

Anyway, im gonna stop going on, people have already formed their views, nothing I can say will change that view, sadly.

Please feel free to feast on the misery you provide.

Hes already lent us 80m, that we know of.

Why would he "give" us anymore when he only owns 49%?

Why would he increase the shareholding of everybody else on his own dime?

We increased every single 1 of our commercial deals last year, from kit sponsor, to sleeve sponsor, to the 75m deal signed with USM, plus the massive increase in TV money, so yes, we are "spending our own money", but none of it would have been possible without the 80m injection from Moshiri, which for the record saved us at least 4m a year in interest payments alone.

It baffles me what else people think this fella should do, he honestly must be sitting there wondering how utterly dim the majority of Everton fans are, people dont look at the bigger picture at all, they just form an opinion based on headlines such as "Koeman was a bad manager" and my old favourite "sell to buy".

In the last 18months we have spent 240m on players. its close to around 100m NET, in 18months, since the Premier League was formed we have spent LESS than that amount on players, Moshiri comes in and we spend massive money on players, hes not a scout, he doesnt pick the players, he just backed the manager, well, tried to.

Anyway, im gonna stop going on, people have already formed their views, nothing I can say will change that view, sadly.

Please feel free to feast on the misery you provide.

It’s all well and good referring to expenditure but our income needs to be looked at as well. Moshiri has arranged a 15 million pound a year sponsorship of Finch Farm by a company turning over 6 billion pound a year. I believe this is what constitutes Moshiri’s real investment into the club, both because he basically owns USM and because we would never get such a deal if the sponsorship was put out to the market.

But to say Moshiri is solely responsible for our increase in expenditure is like crediting Kenwright for breaking our transfer record on five occasions in 10 years due to the expensive additions of Lukaku, Fellaini, Yakubu, Johnson and Beattie etc. To do so means you are ignoring the huge revenues that the club brings in off its own back, mainly through player sales and absolutely massive TV revenues.

Every club in the league are in receipt of record breaking revenues, and nearly all of them are having record breaking levels of expenditure. Calculations of net spend seem to only be based on player trading, and the use of club generated revenues is ignored, leaving some people to equate net spend with investment.

I hold the opinion that the purchase of 49.9% of shares was strategic, and there is not, and never has been, anything preventing Moshiri from purchasing the additional shares that would see him gain control.

It is not unusual for a club to be debt free following a takeover, as this happens when the debt is included in the purchase price. Do you think the purported Newcastle deal includes the debt? Or do you think that there are people out there who are willing to pay £250 - £300 million pound for a club that would remain in about 130 million pound debt following a takeover? I believe the Newcastle deal includes the debt, and that they would become debt free upon a takeover.

Everton did not become debt free upon the de facto takeover from Moshiri. The debt remains in place but the creditor has changed. Moshiri gains de facto control of Everton for about 80 million, with the 80 million pound loan still owed to him.

Think back to when takeovers were being discussed before Moshiri’s arrival, the figures being talked about were circa £160 million but they included the debt. The deal has been structured so Kenwright also gets to remain involved and maintain a shareholding that can be purchased at an agreed price when Moshiri sees fit, but he is not obligated to purchase the shares. Moshiri could have bought the club outright for £160 million, but both he and Kenwright chose to structure the deal which sees him purchase 49.9% instead.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back