Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Farhad Moshiri

7+ Years On... Your Verdict On Farhad Moshiri

• Pleased

Votes: 107 7.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 1,290 92.3%

• Total voters
That above could have been exactly what Spurs fans were saying 10 or so years ago. Mistakes will be made when throwing a load of money around. I wonder how many supporters would have kicked out Levy if they had the chance then compared to how many would now.
Spurs and Everton are different propositions. Spurs could always attract investment, the corporate world have faith in them. We have a history of being flakey on stadium schemes. We really should be a pariah club in terms of advancing more schemes, the amount of time we've see our intentions being pulled by our club owners.

To be of any relevancy to this discussion they'd have to be still struggling to get funds together even with a council loan that's designed to hand over 2/3rds towards it.

I dont know how you can see a council first saying they wont put cash into a project under any circumstances (and just act to aid Everton and facilitate investment the club attracts), and then having to rip that plan up and commit those funds itself to the project to keep it alive.

It beggars belief you cant join up the dots on that...especially when you hear the Everton CEO stating that funding is a challenge and a bigger one than first thought.

Have a think about it.
But dave mate I'm not discounting your view but is any proof to what your saying or is it assumptions mate

I have to agree with the scepticism on this sadly, the recent direction of travel, reading between the lines, seems very clearly to have gone south.

It’s hard to escape that as a conclusion with the council having gone from funding guarantor to principal funder themselves. This was not part of the plan last March.

Not saying it won’t be done, and I earnestly hope it will be, but the plates have shifted on this.

It astounds me how so many (a large minority, as per the poll above) are still hoodwinked by Moshiri despite all the evidence of his incompetency in overseeing the governance of the club (including the hiring of clueless managers), his quite obvious continuation of the Kenwright policy of sell to buy + tv cash to use on squad building, and his terrifying plan to load at least £600M debt onto Everton with that BMD stadium scheme.

It's an article of faith now though surely?

It's established beyond doubt that he's an embarrassment to Everton and his tenure has coincided with us plummeting out of the reckoning in terms of clubs that command status and respect. We've become a cautionary tale in how not to spend money and last Autumn's marathon chase for another club's manager which ended in failure and the installing of a manager like Allardyce underlined how far down into the gutter we've sunk.

But that's not the worst of it - the worst is yet to come. We'll see a lot more sales than we will purchases in the summer I fear. Other clubs around us in midtable will consolidate and one or two will threaten our place there. And that stadium scheme is going to hit some serious headwinds. Last summer with a 7th place finish and spending spree thereafter was as good as it'll get for us for quite some time. IMO this feller is completely disinterested in Everton as a football outfit and is here as long as the BMD scheme still has a shot at coming to fruition. I'd be surprised when it does get stuck in the quagmire (and it will) that he'll tolerate that or be around very much longer after it does.
I think your concerns relating to Moshiri are well worth raising. As you say, he’s not putting any of his own money in so he’s leaving a gigantic debt on the club. I’m more optimistic that it will go through but agree if we do hit a significant hurdle he will bail and we will sink. I also think you are right to highlight his general competence or lack of(compare him to the way the reds are run). Defo a time for fingers crossed.
Don’t agree about Sam, he took over when we were headed for the knackers yard thanks to that unspeakable Dutch gimp, but now we are 4 points off where we were last season, and I think he’s bought well, unlike RonRon

To be of any relevancy to this discussion they'd have to be still struggling to get funds together even with a council loan that's designed to hand over 2/3rds towards it.

I dont know how you can see a council first saying they wont put cash into a project under any circumstances (and just act to aid Everton and facilitate investment the club attracts), and then having to rip that plan up and commit those funds itself to the project to keep it alive.

It beggars belief you cant join up the dots on that...especially when you hear the Everton CEO stating that funding is a challenge and a bigger one than first thought.

Have a think about it.
The council have decided to act as the lender because they can get more money via. interest payments this way. They would have been carrying the same risks by guaranteeing the loan, instead of being the lender. It makes logical sense.

I've heard Joe Anderson say that Moshiri himself will be funding the other 1/3 of the project. I've heard Moshiri say we will have a stadium. I've heard the architect saying this WILL happen. But you know better than all of them, don't you?

You join up the dots. As I've said many, many times before - you are not privy to the finer details of what is happening with this deal, by all means speculate, but don't spin your dour agenda as a set-in-stone fact.

Spurs and Everton are different propositions. Spurs could always attract investment, the corporate world have faith in them. We have a history of being flakey on stadium schemes. We really should be a pariah club in terms of advancing more schemes, the amount of time we've see our intentions being pulled by our club owners.

That's not only what I meant. Spurs too looked to be a selling club, far behind it's neighbours, was getting through a lot of managers and spending too much on players they didn't need and just to complete the mirror image a DOF who looked totally out of his depth. If they ripped out the ownership structure at that point do you think it would have helped? Wouldn't any incoming party have to learn how to run a club? Should we have fired Howard Kendall at the first sign of trouble etc.?

You expect them to make perfect decisions. They are not going to i'm afraid. They made some for what on the outside looked ok but for many a reason haven't come off. They have also made some more obvious ones too regarding bringing in a striker to replace Rom and a left back and that is fine to criticise on those points. But that is the human element, there will always be something wrong due to a mistake or oversight because we can't get the highest calibre of players, we fish in a different pond to the clubs above us. You can't just expect it to click and go, it will take time.

The council have decided to act as the lender because they can get more money via. interest payments this way. They would have been carrying the same risks by guaranteeing the loan, instead of being the lender. It makes logical sense.

I've heard Joe Anderson say that Moshiri himself will be funding the other 1/3 of the project. I've heard Moshiri say we will have a stadium. I've heard the architect saying this WILL happen. But you know better than all of them, don't you?

You join up the dots. As I've said many, many times before - you are not privy to the finer details of what is happening with this deal, by all means speculate, but don't spin your dour agenda as a set-in-stone fact.
Easier to put on ignore like many others on here

You dont have to do any guesswork, it's right there in front of you. LCC are being asked to step in when the original plan was to use a SPV to attract the whole investment fund required from the corporate world.
Yeah but working with the council wouldn't it mean a sweetener regarding planning etc and they get more profit to spend on the city with all these governments cuts they need to make money to spend on the city like

That's not only what I meant. Spurs too looked to be a selling club, far behind it's neighbours, was getting through a lot of managers and spending too much on players they didn't need and just to complete the mirror image a DOF who looked totally out of his depth. If they ripped out the ownership structure at that point do you think it would have helped? Wouldn't any incoming party have to learn how to run a club? Should we have fired Howard Kendall at the first sign of trouble etc.?

You expect them to make perfect decisions. They are not going to i'm afraid. They made some for what on the outside looked ok but for many a reason haven't come off. They have also made some more obvious ones too regarding bringing in a striker to replace Rom and a left back and that is fine to criticise on those points. But that is the human element, there will always be something wrong due to a mistake or oversight because we can't get the highest calibre of players, we fish in a different pond to the clubs above us. You can't just expect it to click and go, it will take time.
I see two fundamental things happening here at Everton:

1/ a club on the pitch that's imploded - and after having spent £300M.
2/ a club off the pitch that is being prepared like a fatted calf to have £600M shoved down its gullet in order that someone can feast off its eventual sale.

Incredibly, I'm more concerned about how we are as a club now than when Kenwright was in control of our fortunes. We look like a basket case in terms of overall governance.

I see two fundamental things happening here at Everton:

1/ a club on the pitch that's imploded - and after having spent £300M.
2/ a club off the pitch that is being prepared like a fatted calf to have £600M shoved down its gullet in order that someone can feast off its eventual sale.

Incredibly, I'm more concerned about how we are as a club now than when Kenwright was in control of our fortunes. We look like a basket case in terms of overall governance.

I get the general grievance regarding point 1. We will always disagree on point 2 as it goes hand in hand with the club doing well.

It's only half time. Let's see how the rest of the game plays out.

a club off the pitch that is being prepared like a fatted calf to have £600M shoved down its gullet in order that someone can feast off its eventual sale.

For the gazillionth time, the fortunes to be made will not be from selling Everton. It will be from the(ir) involvement in the wider docks development.

My take on it anyrate, cos IF he saddles us with a debt you seem to know all about, not a chance any one would stump up cash to buy us anyrate.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back