Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Fathers of GrandOldTeam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best of luck. Hopefully she is an easy baby for you both. Just try your best, that is all that anyone can ever ask of you and be as patient as you can as remember they didn't ask to be brought into this world. Forgive yourself in the moments where you feel that you are doing a lousy job, I think every new parent feels this...something to do with the extreme tiredness no doubt.

I swear that my daughter was created by the Russians/Chinese as the ultimate torture device (Up to the age of 4 anyhow...you probably think I'm joking but to add to not sleeping she used to pinch our hands expertly in all the pressure points) but that said I still wouldn't change anything.

Lads, my wife is due this week with our little girl. I'm proper excited and under no illusions about how tough parenthood can be, but I wondered what advice you all have?

If you could go back and do anything different again with your first, what would it be? I have my bag packed for the hospital and it's all getting very real now!

I'm genuinely intrigued to get any advice and hear about your own experiences. Fire away.
Enjoy the moment - have a go with the gas and air if present at birth, and bare in mind they grow up so quick it flies by - good luck to you, and your beloved, and you have a bonny Baby;)

Newborn poo is beyond disgusting. Never stop breathing through your mouth for one second.
Never think you're taking too many pics. Mine are almost 5 and you'll see pics in a few years that'll be things you've forgotten even though it was so recent and involved your kid.
Nap. This kid has no concept of blocks of sleep, grab it while you can.

Congrats and good luck mate.

Congratulations, @Adam-GOTTV

Take as much time off as you can.

Spend as much time with them as you can.

Keep paying attention to them as much as you can.

Only use the phone to snap memories, never to work, play or talk when the baby is around. Better still if you've got a boss camera instead, you can snap without the distractions.

Routine. Kids love it even if you seem like a schedule nazi it will be better for you in the long run. For a while there I used to get annoyed when parent-friends would say "have to get home for baby nap" but you don't realise until you've been there in the 4.30pm too-late-not-late-enough limbo time. Bedtime routine is the easiest to establish and the most important. We do bath-book-bed.

Get on the same page with the missus ASAP when it comes to sleep, and sleep training. Are you co-sleepers? Crib in room or out? Cry-it-out or no-cry? Whatever you decide don't be afraid to switch it up if it isn't working. Not all kids cry-it-out for three days then sleep forever, and not all kids need or want their parents nearby. Get a white noise maker (we got a marpac Dohm-DS and it literally goes on holidays with us.

Same with food. Purees or baby led weaning?

When they're really little, learn how to swaddle and swaddle them tight. Babies LOVE being little burritos, especially because they can't stop jerking movements in their sleep.

Lastly, make sure, for the sake of all that is holy, that she doesn't become a RS.

.....for some reason I have always been happiest in the company of my two kids from when they were born to now. I don’t know if that’s part of the reason why they have both turned out so well. Both have outstanding careers (consultant surgeon and an IT Analyst) but who they are has always been more important than what they are.

My advice is just be yourself and try and enjoy their company. Teach them the right values of respect and the difference between right and wrong.

Congratulations.

Biggest mistake I've seen with kids at a young age is making your life easier by giving them YouTube as an easy outlet for entertainment. A crying child begging to see a phone/tablet is so sad.

I am not a father, so maybe I am wrong. My perspective is from the loving uncle view.

Congratulations.

Biggest mistake I've seen with kids at a young age is making your life easier by giving them YouTube as an easy outlet for entertainment. A crying child begging to see a phone/tablet is so sad.

I am not a father, so maybe I am wrong. My perspective is from the loving uncle view.

I remember before I had kids, my veiw on how to raise them was perfect, 3 kids later it's 'here's PJ masks on mummy's phone' (not using my phone like)

Congratulations.

No advice. You’ll work it out just like the rest of us.......

My older brother got some girl pregnant when they were both 16, I remember being sat in the living room with them two watching a game (Bolton vs someone) and my brother - out of nowhere said:

"Dad, I'm scared. What if I mess this up?"

And he gave the exact same advice, and we all continued watching the game in silence.

Stuck with me, that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back