Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Fathers of GrandOldTeam

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife is expecting our 4th child in 8 weeks.

My advice is to not just take loads of photos of your children as they grow up but to actually do something with those photos. Print them and get them on the wall. Update the photos regularly. Keep a folder on your computer specifically for special photos of your kids. Looking back on those photos in years/decades to come is one of the best things you'll ever do.

My wife is expecting our 4th child in 8 weeks.

My advice is to not just take loads of photos of your children as they grow up but to actually do something with those photos. Print them and get them on the wall. Update the photos regularly. Keep a folder on your computer specifically for special photos of your kids. Looking back on those photos in years/decades to come is one of the best things you'll ever do.

Back them up too.

Congrats @Adam-GOTTV some funny posts in this thread, some brilliant ones as well.

My wife is due in the next month or so, with our first. We’re having a boy (Little Oumar), can’t wait to be a dad, but I’m very nervous that I’m going to be looking after a tiny human!

Hope this makes you feel more confident!
My first house, a semi, was on the side of a steep hill. We were the bottom semi so there were several steps up to the front door. The gutters were normal height plus about 8 feet. I had borrowed an extension ladder to do some work on the guttering above the concrete drive. Her indoors had gone shopping and left me in charge of our two and a half year old son. I was up the ladder and son was riding his tricycle up and down the drive. I was concentrating on sorting out a difficult bit of the job when I sensed some movement on the ladder. I looked down and my son is on the rung immediately below my feet, 20 feet above the drive. In a panic, I looked to see if there was anyone about to help but the street was deserted. I had to talk him down, rung by rung, which seemed to take forever. When I finally got him down safely I had to go inside and sit down for an hour. I still get cold sweats thinking about it now!

Congrats @Adam-GOTTV some funny posts in this thread, some brilliant ones as well.

My wife is due in the next month or so, with our first. We’re having a boy (Little Oumar), can’t wait to be a dad, but I’m very nervous that I’m going to be looking after a tiny human!
As if she'd let you get away with that. Then again, we used to have two cats called Amokachi and Ferguson,

A daughter will love you desperately until the age of about 10.

Without you changing one iota, you will then have to endure 8 years of being the the most embarrassing prick on the planet.

She will then go back to loving you desperately

Hope this makes you feel more confident!
My first house, a semi, was on the side of a steep hill. We were the bottom semi so there were several steps up to the front door. The gutters were normal height plus about 8 feet. I had borrowed an extension ladder to do some work on the guttering above the concrete drive. Her indoors had gone shopping and left me in charge of our two and a half year old son. I was up the ladder and son was riding his tricycle up and down the drive. I was concentrating on sorting out a difficult bit of the job when I sensed some movement on the ladder. I looked down and my son is on the rung immediately below my feet, 20 feet above the drive. In a panic, I looked to see if there was anyone about to help but the street was deserted. I had to talk him down, rung by rung, which seemed to take forever. When I finally got him down safely I had to go inside and sit down for an hour. I still get cold sweats thinking about it now!

I was getting cold sweats reading about it mate! Glad he got down alright!

Sell your Playstation/Xbox. The most fun thing in the world is about to be bestowed on you.

Teach them to have fun outside, regardless of the weather. Allow them to choose what to do a lot of the time and no matter how odd, making mud pies, painting your faces green etc..... do it and enjoy the laughter.

Don't spend your time cleaning behind them (unless its Nappy changing time) You can clean up better when they are asleep. Don't be afraid to make noise when they are asleep, they have to get used to it.

You are now an official tag team partner with your better half. Learn to share the load.

Make a height chart and measure them regularly marking their height as they grow.

There should be a small ink stamp on their left hip, sometimes it is on the right side though. Read it carefully as it gives information on the return policy. Usually you have two weeks to return the child to a local fire department--no questions asked. But make sure to read the "terms and conditions" and warning labels that come with the infant.

Congrats, and remember, you can always drop them off at the fire department or hospital within two weeks if you don't find them as cute as you thought they would be.

Lads, my wife is due this week with our little girl. I'm proper excited and under no illusions about how tough parenthood can be, but I wondered what advice you all have?

If you could go back and do anything different again with your first, what would it be? I have my bag packed for the hospital and it's all getting very real now!

I'm genuinely intrigued to get any advice and hear about your own experiences. Fire away.
Put everything you can on hold
If you can afford to turn down overtime do so
Give up extra curricular activities
Spend as much time as you can with your daughter
You have 13/14 yrs at most
After that you are an embarrassment and a taxi service with a built in ATM

You'll be fine
Before we had our first I couldn't pick up a baby cos I was petrified.
But once he came along I took to it like a duck to water
When it's your own it's natural.
Same with your wife
Don't worry you'll' both be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back