Financial Fair Play investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Help me out here lads/ladies.. I keep reading that the wage bill is the reason we are in this mess, but if 4 years ago we had decided to get rid of half our playing squad say 16 players, say they are all on £80k a week (they arent), then we would have saved £66m a year.
Even with this saving we would still be way over the allowed £105m based on the previous 3 years books.
I realise Covid made a massive impact but it hadn't hit us for 2019 accounts and lockdown wouldve affected last 3 months only 2020 yet we recorded losses of £139m and £111m.
As its completely unrealistic to reduce the wage bill in half, and as it stands we are near powerless to increase Revenue by any great shout, can someone explain to me
1. How we get ourselves back within £35m/year losses without needing to make a profit on player sales every year?
2. How other clubs aren't going to be over the threshold, especially the teams with lower revenues that don't run a net positive transfer policy?

With the way even the promoted clubs are throwing money around nowadays a transfer embargo would leave us fighting for survival again next year (if we stay up this season). How many windows can it be enforced as well? We need to hope it’s a fine.
It was 1 for Chelsea in the end...and for trafficking young players...29 cases of it. It was practically an assault on human rights.

We'll be lucky to survive this season. Add in a transfer embargo for summer and winter and we are sunk without trace.

This impacts on everything. Youth recruitment. First team recruitment. Stadium financing. Sponsorship.

Our owner is the width of a rizzla from sanctions. No one with any sense of a future is going to touch us with a barge pole.

Dyche ball for the next decade.
lol lol lol lol

The other point in this, is that next years accounts show a profit, and back within the rules.

If the club are smart, they release those accounts publicly next autumn. Our board are thick and they wont, but they should.

The context of sentencing, if a club is back into profitability, and within the rules will seem very odd if its anything more than a warning for a first offence.

I do get the conspiratorial stuff over this, but honestly the PL could have buried us earlier if they wanted to. We have basically navigated the worst years.

One final thought, is that the club and the PL were working closely on this. I wonder if the PL would want the details of those discussions being made public for the government and everyone else to see?
I agree. It'll be a hefty fine or an outside chance of a transfer window embargo.

What I dont get though is the club's forceful letter in response to the PL statement. If youlre working hand in glove with the PL then you just say that you'll continue to abide by the process and are confident of your case. Saying that you're "disappointed to hear of the Premier League’s decision" to refer the case cuts across that.

If found guilty Toffee Tv reckon that it should be a fine. A juicy fine but a fine,

If points are deducted then it will affect next season not this one so if we get relegated
then we will avoid the fine. You got to think positively.

Think you've hit the nail. They can't really do anything the back lash from years gone would be huge.

How we got ourselves into this mess is simple. Crap advice Crap guidance Crap board

I just think to them, we’re a nothing club (they’d probably be right on current affairs).

But there will be more damage done than good, if you give us a points deduction, because other teams will follow. But if the likes of City, Chelsea can spend freely, then all you’re going to end up with is lawsuits everywhere, and ultimately if that happens you’ll have a watered down product like La Liga, which is mindnumbingly boring.

I’d say a points deduction is probably fair, but that would have to be consistent throughout and UEFA have not done it, and PL didn’t with city, so I’d expect a transfer embargo and a fine at worst, I feel.

It won't be a point deduction, if they do they are setting themselves up for what they then have to fine city, city have supposedly done what we have but x100 so if they deducted us points they'd have to relegate them.

Not even mention what Chelsea have done in the last year or so, so when the time comes wtf punishment are they going to receive?

I agree. It'll be a hefty fine or an outside chance of a transfer window embargo.

What I dont get though is the club's forceful letter in response to the PL statement. If youlre working hand in glove with the PL then you just say that you'll continue to abide by the process and are confident of your case. Saying that you're "disappointed to hear of the Premier League’s decision" to refer the case cuts across that.

Agreed.

I know what they’re trying to do. They’re trying to show they’re fighting, almost I the Everton ethos that isn’t it? But they’ve just got it wrong, so wrong once again, it’s staggering how inept they are.

Do feel like they can't really punish us that harshly given we've effectively been punishing ourselves under PL supervision for 2 seasons. We sold our best player and Brazils 9 for 20 million less than we would've got to meet an arbitrary deadline. We spent 1.7 million on transfers in one summer effectively being a transfer ban. 1

It won't be a point deduction, if they do they are setting themselves up for what they then have to fine city, city have supposedly done what we have but x100 so if they deducted us points they'd have to relegate them.

Not even mention what Chelsea have done in the last year or so, so when the time comes wtf punishment are they going to receive?
Feel like it can't be just a fine though because then everyone will just break the rules and take the fine on the chin. Chelsea haven't broken any rules because their contracts are 100 years long

The one thing this news will do, is ready half a dozen other clubs in and around the relegation spots speaking with their lawyers and contingency planning, developing strategies and trying to build in what Burnley and Leeds did last year. whether there is a case to answer or not, this really couldn’t have come at a worse time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back