Fiorentina v Everton - 6th March

Status
Not open for further replies.
Playing Carsley and Neville central is a big, big mistake.

You are effetively isolating Pienaar, Osman and Arteta. They link up well when together with some sharp passes, tonight they had no chance to do that.

Sadly i agree, i'd love us to turn this around but i just can't see it happening.

Me neither but I'll always have hope.
I feel that today highlighted our European inexperience. We've been awesome up till now but against inferior opposition. I feel Fiorentina are a similar team to us(not on todays showing) and we looked scared and therefore played poorly

So on a lighter note, how good was cahills dissallowed goal? it was a great skill to do that with the ball coming from such height, shame it was offside!

I'm in two minds as to how to react to tonight.

On the one hand every single player stank tonight. Carsley and Neville showed just how limited they can be. Lescott showed why he'll not be an England player. Osman and Pienaar were muscled out of the game and Yobo/Yak returned to old form by being shaky and lazy respectably. It was a shocking performance, an absolute shocker. If this is a reflection of our current state then we don't appear anywhere near ready to join the top four on a regular basis. Best of the rest maybe but not top four class.

Of course having said that it may be a one off. I hope to God it's a one off. We've played some reasonable teams in Europe and generally improved as the tournament has progressed. We showed tonight glimpses of our performance against Metalist. We have shown in recent weeks some really good football. Was tonight an off night or testimony to the oft stated fact that Premier League football is no preperation for the rigours of international competition? Was the finicky referee a factor in putting us off our game by not allowing any physicality in the match?

Like I said, I don't want to read too much into it as every team has an off night, but we were so, so bad it's hard not to feel bloody deflated. Hopefully professional pride will see us give Sunderland a good kicking.

The most frustrating thing for me is I just wanted one big european night at Goodison. This game would have been it..

Really would have fancied us if we got a draw or even a 1-0 defeat in the first leg.

We only need to win 2-0 next leg, our best hope if is fiorentina dont have a goalie on the bench, and their goalie gets injured...leaving the goal basically empty...the chances? about 100000/1 sadly...

2-0 at home doesnt sound like much, but against this team it will be near impossible

We only need to win 2-0 next leg, our best hope if is fiorentina dont have a goalie on the bench, and their goalie gets injured...leaving the goal basically empty...the chances? about 100000/1 sadly...

2-0 at home doesnt sound like much, but against this team it will be near impossible

We need to win 3-0 Dom :unsure: - because we wont go through on pens...

I would have fancied us to have a good chance of a 2-0 win if we lost 1-0. But all Fiorentina will do now is sit back and pick us off on the break.

On a seperate, pointless note, I would have liked to have seen Faddy out there tonight. He would have got stuck in and scored from 55 yards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back