Match Thread Fleetwood Town v Everton, Wednesday 23rd September, 7.45pm

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just noticed while we have two games in about three days, West Ham have an even tougher schedule

Sunday 7pm (home at least) but Vs Wolves

Monday us away at 7.45

What sort of team will Covid United be putting out? They'll have to rotate everyone, but then their second team has been better than their first choice so far.

Moyes will want to focus on the league but will not want to lose to us either. I am guessing it will be strong teams for both.
He rarely played weak teams in the cup when he was our manager, we used to want him to try something different at times too

A great result only marred slightly by Pickfords display in nets, he was not great against WBA either and last seasons stats put him as 2nd worst in the league.

Positives though, Iwobi, Nkounku, Bernard
Richarlison scored 2 and Kean scored again. Looking forward to West Ham in the next round. Heard their owner whining about having to pay £50k to fly the players up here for the game. What a moron, that's half a weeks wage for some of his players and he is complaining about being in a competition most of his supporters would love to win.
Hope we beat them COYB's

A great result only marred slightly by Pickfords display in nets, he was not great against WBA either and last seasons stats put him as 2nd worst in the league.

Positives though, Iwobi, Nkounku, Bernard
Richarlison scored 2 and Kean scored again. Looking forward to West Ham in the next round. Heard their owner whining about having to pay £50k to fly the players up here for the game. What a moron, that's half a weeks wage for some of his players and he is complaining about being in a competition most of his supporters would love to win.
Hope we beat them COYB's

Put them on a train then in economy.

Went Bernard. Said for a wee while that he's too small to be a prem winger and I'd like to see him in a CMish position a la the other mini Bernardo Silva at Citeh. For a first dash there think he did a fine job.

Nkounkz tho. What a baller

What's happening to us? I'm scared

Went Bernard. Said for a wee while that he's too small to be a prem winger and I'd like to see him in a CMish position a la the other mini Bernardo Silva at Citeh. For a first dash there think he did a fine job.

Nkounkz tho. What a baller

What's happening to us? I'm scared

Alan Ball did a good job too.

No, in the past Nev has very much done the whole 'goalkeepers union' thing and seems to make excuses, also the whole thing with him and Blue Bill means that ain't ever happening imo.
Certainly will never happen. Big nev has come out in support of pickford today so what you say is right. But I do think he would criticise him in private if he was the coach

Pickford needs to be dropped. Fighting his way back in to the first team would do him the world of good.

Same thing happened with Southall in his early days. Kendall didn't hesitate to drop him, he worked his way back into squad, and the rest is history.

Pickford has that potential, as the Spurs game showed, and is still young for a keeper. He's by no means the finished product.

Ironically, I don't think being England's no.1 is helping him at all. I wonder if it's putting pressure on the Club to keep him as our 1st choice. Because if he loses his England spot due to being benched by us, so losing both at the same time, that could have a detrimental effect on his confidence.

Nothing ironic about it. The fanfare has gone to his head and he believes his own hype.

I've said this before. International play is such a different animal. The teams are much less cohesive than clubs because they play together infrequently. They don't know each other that well and they know the opposition less well or barely at all. The quality of the football is not nearly as good as the top sides in top leagues. The games are on a huge stage. There are fewer games - a WC winner will have played all of 7 matches in the finals before lifting the Cup. Add it all up and the whole thing runs on emotion and adrenaline, more than football schemes and skills. In that setting it's very easy for a player - especially a keeper, since they're always in the spotlight - to make a name for himself by making one or two huge plays. That's exactly what JP did and he seems to thrive in that atmosphere, where he can jump around, be showy, pump his fists in front of a crowd of 100,000 people, billions watching around the world, and not have to worry overmuch about sticking with a plan, since there isn't much of one.

Much different than, say, staying within yourself and executing on your manager's scheme again and again and again over the course of a long domestic season, including the proverbial rainy night at Stoke - or, here, a Wednesday night cup tie away to lower-league opposition (without a crowd, no less). Spotlight near zero, second-string squad in front of him, raining, in a small town, nobody cares that much, another league game coming up at the weekend, another cup tie a couple days after that, etc. etc.

The attention wanders. And here we are.

Someone's probably mentioned this but last night was the first time we've scored 5 in two consecutive games since September 1964. Then we beat Valerengens of Norway 5-2 away in the old Inter-Cities Fairs Cup, with goals from Pickering (2), Harvey, Temple and Scott, and then won at Birmingham 5-3 with goals from Scott (2), Pickering (2) and Morrissey.

The game before we won 4-0 at The Pit - not a bad week to be a Blue!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back