Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Former Everton Managers discussion...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I totally agree, to a degree, its not great, but its not 11th, what was Moyes points total the year we got 4th?

Did anybody care?

What was our points total in 87?

Did anybody care?

As I said David, Ronnys remit this season was European football, his remit next season will be to make us compete, with our peers and try and win a shiny, lets see how that goes, lets see if hes backed for an assault above us.
Been over this a million times. If you want to know why points totals are important go and have a look at how many times 70+ points are required to secure a CL spot. It's a line we have to cross and it should be seen as a very important target for us.

We had a 'good season' this last one just gone...we missed a CL spot by 15 points.

Been over this a million times. If you want to know why points totals are important go and have a look at how many times 70+ points are required to secure a CL spot. It's a line we have to cross and it should be seen as a very important target for us.

We had a 'good season' this last one just gone...we missed a CL spot by 15 points.

At no point did I call it a good season, it was an acceptable 1 based on the previous 2 and the level of "backing" our manager was given.

At no point did I call it a good season, it was an acceptable 1 based on the previous 2 and the level of "backing" our manager was given.
I didn't day you did. Most people thought it was. My point is that a 'good' season fell short by 15 points....THAT is why running up another plus 70 point season is important. That's what will get us a CL spot. Points convert into top four places.

I didn't day you did. Most people thought it was. My point is that a 'good' season fell short by 15 points....THAT is why running up another plus 70 point season is important. That's what will get us a CL spot. Points convert into top four places.

66 points David, that was your magic number 2 seasons ago.

66 points David, that was your magic number 2 seasons ago.
I stated:

"have a look at how many times 70+ points are required to secure a CL spot."

The odd flukey occasion when sub-70 points get a top 4 spot are few and far between...and we'd have fallen short of that 66 mark with our 'good season' just gone by 4 points.

Ok, I'll handicap it: I'll give you Koeman reaching 68 points.* And if IIRC Moyes had a long run in the EL and still clocked up 65 points, so "the superstar manager" should have no trouble.

*If we get through to the main competition.
All things being equal, both managers have/had Europe to contend with in their 2nd season. So I will stand by my original bet that Koeman will do better than Martinez in the 2nd season. He will get more points and higher league position. Are you up for it?

All things being equal, both managers have/had Europe to contend with in their 2nd season. So I will stand by my original bet that Koeman will do better than Martinez in the 2nd season. He will get more points and higher league position. Are you up for it?
You want me to take a bet up that a manager of Everton should get over 47 points? It's ridiculous. Martinez should have done way better than that so isn't it reasonable to expect that the "better" manager Koeman would need a much higher bar to prove his worth?

As stated innumerable times: if he's worth having he'll knock 70 plus points out of the park...wont he?

Come back when you're prepared to back your hero to do something notable, then you'll have a bet on your hands.

He wont be. I can almost guarantee we'll do worse in the league next season.

I will have a £100 bet with you we have a better 2nd season under Koeman than we had under Martinez. All winnings to go to a charity of the winners choice.
TBH mate I think you are bottling it. My bet was that we will have a better 2nd season under Koeman than Martinez.
Is Koeman my 'hero' -no. Do I think he is better than Martinez -yes. You like Martinez and dispise Koeman, that is your opinion and I respect that, thst is why these forums are here.It would be a boring world if we were all the same.

TBH mate I think you are bottling it. My bet was that we will have a better 2nd season under Koeman than Martinez.
Is Koeman my 'hero' -no. Do I think he is better than Martinez -yes. You like Martinez and dispise Koeman, that is your opinion and I respect that, thst is why these forums are here.It would be a boring world if we were all the same.
You're asking me to bet £100 on us not surpassing 47 points next season. Do you think I'm daft?

I've already given you a generous offer of that bet on the basis that we reach the group stages of the EL and get 68 points in the PL (I accept it's unreasonable for this or any other manager of this club in the foreseeable to surpass 72 points again).

If you can't accept that challenge then you really don't have that much faith in a manager paid between £6m and £7m per year who is apparently in the "superstar" bracket. Can't be that good then really can he?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back