2021/22 Frank Lampard

Status
Not open for further replies.
He can finally start the real work - which is to make this his team. It's been firefighting up to now, but I have been impressed with his pragmatism and, as you rightly remind us, his ditching of the blame game stuff that came across as very defensive at the time. I mean, we knew things were bad when he came here - that's why he was asked to come here! That stuff betrayed a man spooked by the realisation that this task was enormous, the responsibility massive.

But he has come through and conducted himself superbly. While I liked Roberto's positivity and demeanour, Frank strikes me as authentic. He says it as he sees it. I like the, Frankness, so to speak. Roberto would dress up the undressable. That grated. Frank now embraces the challenge. I think he ran from it a bit in shock after the honeymoon collapsed.

He has been open to the emotions of this club. I'm much happier with him now than I was when he was appointed. He has cut his teeth as Everton manager. I am cautiously optimistic now - but November is a river that needs to be crossed. If we do not get the player turnover we need this summer and start the season badly, Moshiri's trigger finger will be twitchy during the break for the World Cup. Let's just hope this kind of talk is banished forever after some good transfer business this summer.

Moshiri will be keeping his head own for the foreseeable IMO.

I think 2 things are going to be important - one is we need to stick with Frank for a good while as the club needs some managerial stability, and the other is we need to set out a proper 5 season plan, and not come into each summer with a disjointed transfer and development plan.

This crux of the issues of Moshiri’s reign has been him consistently trying to rush success, instead of building slowly and sustainably

Compare and contrast Lampard against this twerp.

Sounds like Big Oil.

Marsch believes his players can take inspiration from historical and sporting figures and quoted Gandhi to them before Sunday’s defeat at Arsenal. Pacifist Gandhi may seem a strange choice to motivate Leeds, and his words are hardly Churchillan, but history graduate Marsch felt his quote about self-belief was apt.

The father of Indian independence said: “If I have the belief that I can do it, I shall surely acquire the capacity to do it, even if I may not have it at the beginning.” Marsch read out this saying to his players in the dressing room before they went out to face Arsenal in an attempt to make them believe more.

The Leeds head coach explained: “I use so many figures. I’ve used Muhammad Ali a few times, Michael Jordan is a guy I’m inspired by, Phil Jackson, I would start dating myself if I went back to Vince Lombardi! In the past I have gone back to the 1998 France football team, the 2008 Road to Redemption gold medal basketball team. I love basketball culture, the way they combine university graduates with inner-city kids. There are also historical figures like Gandhi, Mother Teresa, presidents like JFK who have meant something to where we are in the world.

“I have 52 excerpts of books that I sometimes give players when I want to reach them and then hundreds of quotes. I love quotes, I love learning from people of the past, sports figures, historical figures, whoever. The key is learning which messages to use at the right time. Here we are in the stress of relegation, trying to stay strong in our commitment, just trying to find ways to motivate our collective mentality.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back