2021/22 Frank Lampard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not. There seems to be this idea that we either had to go down or barely survive and that wasn't and isn't true.

Right...

Couple of questions then:

1) Is it fair to suggest that in the aftermath of the worst 14 game run of form in the club's entire 144 year history, it wouldn't be easy to turn our form around instantly?

2) If we look at the second half of his 18 games, would it be reasonable to suggest that his return of 1.55 points per game was a decent return given the strength of our squad?

Last edited:
Right...

1) Is it fair to suggest that in the aftermath of the worst 14 game run of form in the club's entire 144 year history, it wouldn't be easy to turn our form around instantly?

2) If we look at the second half of his 18 games, would it be reasonable to suggest that his return of 1.55 points per game was a decent return given the strength of our squad?
Just to piggyback on point 2, if poor reffing decisions in the Brentford, City and RS games hadn’t occurred that return could look closer to 1.8 PpG which is a very solid return given how limited our squad is

When you inherit a side on their worst run in PL history, with 1 win in 14, then time is always going to be needed. It should be no surprise to anyone that we got better over time with Lampard and won more games later in the season. The idea he was going to turn around that side overnight is ludicrous, and the complaints from some of our fans that he wasn't able to do that, are equally ludicrous.

Right...

His answer to number 1 is that a decent manager would manage it. That's what he told me yesterday anyway.

His answer to number 1 is that a decent manager would manage it. That's what he told me yesterday anyway.

Eddie Howe managed 1 point more over his first 9 games, and Newcastle's form was 4 points in the 10 games before he joined them.

We had 5 points in the 10 games before Lampard joined. The two situations were fairly similar

Howe absolutely got more of a tune out of Newcastle after those first 9 games than Lampard did from us (but he also had time to prepare for the transfer window), but 1.55 ppg is still decent form. It's typically enough (over the course of a full season) to get top 8

Agreed but why is context only given to Lampard?

Benitez walked into a job where over half of the fanbase hated the fella - to say that wouldn't have rubbed off on the players is laughable. The atmosphere wasn't a patch on what it was under Lampard which again gives the players a kick up the arse.

The reality is both managers came into difficult jobs but only one is given any context and the other laughed off "pfftt 9 injuries, £1.7 million budget and an angry fanbase why didn't he have uz top half!"

Ok fine, how’s this:

One of the managers came in, did reasonably well for a short spell, and got dramatically worse as time went on.

One of the managers came in, did reasonably poorly for a short spell, and got significantly better as time went on.

I know which one I’d rather have.

Eddie Howe managed 1 point more over his first 9 games, and Newcastle's form was 4 points in the 10 games before he joined them.

We had 5 points in the 10 games before Lampard joined. The two situations were fairly similar

Howe absolutely got more of a tune out of Newcastle after those first 9 games than Lampard did from us (but he also had time to prepare for the transfer window), but 1.55 ppg is still decent form. It's typically enough (over the course of a full season) to get top 8
Would have got 6th place last season as it works out at 58.9 points.

Its a mad argument. You shouldn't rely on your keeper.

Liverpool relied on Allison to make 76 saves last season. (Pickford made 117 for reference). But they should have just not played a keeper, I'm sure they would have stayed 2nd.

It's not like we set up to rely on pickford. It's that our defence isn't good enough to protect him. Ederson was still needed to make 60 saves.

so 3 saves a match, is that all? not loads tbh. i thought it would be 5+ each game

(please stay away stat nerds)

I’m in no way sold on Lampard and my opinion is still that this will end in tears (slightly lessened by him keeping us up) but he absolutely needs to be allowed to put his own spin on things.

The Benitez comparisons and apologists have gone beyond disgraceful and are now just a parody, your man came in, was absolutely useless like everybody said and has left hated. You got it wrong which being an adult is absolutely normal just admit it and move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back