2022/23 Frank Lampard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dont be ridiculous. Lukaku would 100% change this team if he signed in January.
Willing to go out on a limb and say there's a less-than-likely percent chance we'll be signing a striker who went for about £100m a year so back and must be on best part of £400k a week. Even IF we sweetend the pot with Rondon in part-ex.

It's outrageous that.

Imagine that lot taking issue over getting howled at on the final whistle by their own fans. They were lucky it was just a shirt getting thrown at them - a brick would have been more in order..

There's something about this club that transcends all managers hired in the last decade: the team hit long periods of a season and simply amble about virtually downing tools.

I dont like the ginger get, but those players would fill their kecks if Moyes came back and demanded consistent effort.

We need to go back to that boot camp in Italy that Moyes put the wasters through...have them spewing up their cornflakes in the pre-season getting fit.

Think Lampard should try to balance the squad again.
If we play 9-0-1 every game and can keep until the last minute, we probably can stay up.
However, our backline is not steady to do that. We have to be brave sometimes and try to hold the ball more and deliver to the opposite penalty area.
I dont think we can improve a lot if we dont change our play style.

There was no change in the system form 1st to 2nd season. What happened was that opponents pressed us much more and the players we had at the back (apart from Stones) couldn't handle it.

He needed cash to upgrade the defence and the GK. His biggest fault in that 2nd season was buying Funes Mori and not VVD.
That's tosh mate, I recall the defeats to Leicester and Stoke at Goodison were because they sat back, waited for us to lose possession pushed up high on them and then break at pace, turning our stretched defence.

Teams were doing it to us season 1 as well, but we properly ride our luck at times. Villa away was one lucky win. Think we somehow got a 0-0 at Palace when they should have battered us.

Last edited:
That's tosh mate, I recall the defeats to Leicester and Stoke at Goodison were because they sat back, waited for us to lose possession pushed up high on them and the break at pace, turning our stretched defence.

Teams were doing it to us season 1 as well, but we properly ride our luck at times. Villa away was one lucky win. Think we somehow got a 0-0 at Palace when they should have battered us.
That was happening too, and it came down to a lack of appropriate personnel to deal with it.

That's tosh mate, I recall the defeats to Leicester and Stoke at Goodison were because they sat back, waited for us to lose possession pushed up high on them and the break at pace, turning our stretched defence.

We had a lot of luck that season, you’re right. Coleman shinning one in last minute against Cardiff when we were hopeless, Lukaku late winner against West Ham at home, we were terrible that day too, the Chelsea home game when we got out of our own half once and won 1-0. I’m not just saying this with hindsight either, I remember thinking at the time we were getting a lot of luck.

I think these stats prove that just getting a striker in isn't going to be the miracle cure some people suggest. It'd help of course, but if we can't actually get them the ball then it's not going to be transformative.
Categories like 'deep completions' and 'progressive passes'. Pffft!

Utter nerd-speak.

It's not crude to just refine it all down to not having a strike force, it's just common sense. If you have a couple of strikers worth more than a balloon to a team then everything becomes better behind it: midfielders' passes reach their targets, and getting on the scoresheet gives something to hang onto and tackles on the opposition and tracking the of opponents all increase massively.

We've all known and said the issue is lack of firepower. We knew it before the manager and the media started talking it up. Let's not make this over-complicated.

View attachment 191053
In black and white. 'Back him' is just suicidal for us.
Disclaimer: Rafael WAS THE WRONG PERSON TO HIRE. But here is his chart as a comparison .

1668443289390.png

Categories like 'deep completions' and 'progressive passes'. Pffft!

Utter nerd-speak.

It's not crude to just refine it all down to not having a strike force, it's just common sense. If you have a couple of strikers worth more than a balloon to a team then everything becomes better behind it: midfielders' passes reach their targets, and getting on the scoresheet gives something to hang onto and tackles on the opposition and tracking the of opponents all increase massively.

We've all known and said the issue is lack of firepower. We knew it before the manager and the media started talking it up. Let's not make this over-complicated.
Lack of fire power Dave, for sure, but, lack of creativity as well and that is the real problem. When we play against the teams we expect to beat, they will keep it tight and hit is on the break. We have no idea whatsoever how to unlock a team that sits off us and challenges us to find a way to break them down.

Disclaimer: Rafael WAS THE WRONG PERSON TO HIRE. But here is his chart as a comparison .

View attachment 191086
The two charts reflect the vastly different strengths of the teams then and now: last season the problem was defence; this season it's having no attackers.

Ergo: if we get a couple of attacking players in January the situation will bound to progress positively for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.