2022/23 Frank Lampard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plenty of people talked utter nonsense in 1992 mate. Let's not get misty-eyed and misrepresent kneejerk reactions and histrionics as a modern phenomenon.

Saw it with Moyes, I spent enough time trying to fight his side too and it was harder as it wasn't too far removed from FAC '95, but social media's sent everything in to the stratosphere now that everyone's trapped in their echo chambers.

I dont see how the two are linked there tbh just social media huff and puff.

Moyes worked miracles under Kenwrong including finishing 4th with Marcus Bent up top - he never needed a Lukaku or Haaland just good solid tactics and a team of hard workers who made themselves greater than the sum of their parts.

Ultimately you have to work with what you're given - if you can't manage that then step aside and let someone else have a go.

The difference is that Arteta stuck to a formation, Frank came in and flipped flopped between 4-4-2, 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1 and 5-2-3. This season he has picked the one with the worst return and ran with it, we even seen the difference the system makes by going 4-2-3-1 v Villa.

Another example was Howe at Newcastle who have a similar ability level as our squad, Howe cam in with them 10 points behind us and by the end of the season they finished 10 points above us, in 27 games they managed 20 more points than us just by sticking to a settled formation and team selection.

Leeds have stuck to this 4-2-3-1, how is that turning out for them?

Obviously time will tell but if we continue with the 5-2-3 we wont get anywhere, currentlu watching the Leeds v Chelsea game and they have the same issues we do and they have world class players. So that even further shows my point the system/formation is the issue.

Do you not realise why he kept changing formation last season?

You realise Newcastle spent £100mil last January right?

Moyes worked miracles under Kenwrong including finishing 4th with Marcus Bent up top - he never needed a Lukaku or Haaland just good solid tactics and a team of hard workers who made themselves greater than the sum of their parts.

Ultimately you have to work with what you're given - if you can't manage that then step aside and let someone else have a go.

That was 15 years ago and the Premier league was very different

ffs. behave lad

It is but the point is the same.

You can have a crap chairman and good manager or you can have a brilliant chairman and a crap manager.

The two are not mutually exclusive - why you would judge one on the other is EFC grifting nonsense imo.

All I'm saying is having a well drill side with Marcus bent up front these days isnt getting you 5th

All I'm saying is having a well drill side with Marcus bent up front these days isnt getting you 5th

The league's become more competitive but I don't buy that you need to have 11 quality players on the pitch every week to not lose 12 games out of 21.

I think to push for top 4-6 you do but I think Lampard would have won us more points on the board by having better in game management, subs, tactics etc.

Yesterday a prime example and Watford away last season happy to take a 0-0 with them already relegated and missing about 8 first team players.

Lukaku was with us under Martinez and we finished 11th & 11th after his first season mate !
That's true, but I do think Koeman was a better defensive manager than Martinez.

He ended up being far too stubborn on the striker that he wanted however so I have no sympathy with him that it all went wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back