2022/23 Frank Lampard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moyes brought stability. Got us into Europe pretty much season after season and was draining every inch of quality from a group of average players.

Martinez achieved our all time highest PL points total.

Koeman was sacked when the going got tough at the start of his second season.

Moyes second season was 17th and our lowest points tally ever. His first season was 7th achieving nothing. By your criteria Allardyce should have never left.

Not really too much to take away from that but his in-game management isn’t exactly great.

Set up fine first half but ultimately we have some of the worst attackers in the league and the full backs are even worse going forward. Part of me thinks not much any manager could do when you have Maupay, Gray, Mcneil and Gordon, throw in Coleman and Mykolenko and you’re never going to score goals regularly or play good football as you can’t keep the ball and the players just can’t find space well enough.

Bit that worries me is that I can’t recall any games under him (apart from Leeds) where we’ve come out of it thinking we deserved a win then or were better than the opposition.
You’re never more than three games away from a crisis in this league and the aim is to never be it, so a result against Newcastle would be timely. Hopefully come World Cup we’re about 12th or so.

Moyes brought stability. Got us into Europe pretty much season after season and was draining every inch of quality from a group of average players.

Moyes was also one of the highest paid managers in the game at the time and had a large backroom team, Kenwright could never have afforded to sack him and his team it would have put the club under.

A few tweaks and we’re not that far away in my opinion from a decent 11. I’d move Onana back to holding mid and play Garner instead of Gueye. Bring Patterson and Gordon back in on the right side, and DCL upfront. That 11 wins enough games for me to be mid table.

It’s the problems that arise as soon as we dip below that 11. We don’t have quality cover for any of the three forward positions. Garner is the only midfielder we have who can pick a decent forward pass, and if Mykolenko and Patterson are missing our fullback options are grim.

Moyes came 17th and we sensibly stuck with him. I see absolutely no one out there who is better than lampard and realistic. Ancelotti couldn't fix this mess quickly so anyone who is our manager will need time and patience. There are absolutely no easy fixes, especially not while Moshiri and the board remain in post.

Moyes came 17th and we sensibly stuck with him. I see absolutely no one out there is better than lampard and realistic. Ancelotti couldn't fix this mess quickly so anyone who is our manager will need time and patience. There are absolutely no easy fixes, especially not while Moshiri and the board remain in post.

I’m not disputing the fact there are no easy fixes at all mate. I’m just questioning whether Lampard really is that long-term fix. I have my doubts is all.

Moyes came 17th and we sensibly stuck with him. I see absolutely no one out there is better than lampard and realistic. Ancelotti couldn't fix this mess quickly so anyone who is our manager will need time and patience. There are absolutely no easy fixes, especially not while Moshiri and the board remain in post.

One manager who my opinion has changed on who you mentioned last season is Mr Frank.

Doing a very good job with an average Brentford side minus Toney. Head to head our GK, defence and midfield are better than theirs imo but he has them playing some good stuff.

Fair to say he's had time at Brentford to do that but yeah think he's decent him.

Moyes was lucky to have a good owner

Lampard has improved almost every player we have. There comes a point when some limitations are not down the manager.

The two chances we created are almost identical positions to the two United chances. 80 million Antony and one of the greatest strikers of all time but both away though. 1.5 million pound Gray and a defensive midfielder thrust into an attacking midfield slot didn’t even hit the target. That’s the difference between a good performance and a statement win and another loss.

The margins are so fine in this league but there’s a world of difference between competing and being edged out, and not competing at all and being dismantled. Some of the bearings we’ve taken away at top grounds recently have been dismantlings. The two recent losses haven’t been. We’re being edged out because at the top end we don’t have enough quality, we all know this.

I’m not disputing the fact there are no easy fixes at all mate. I’m just questioning whether Lampard really is that long-term fix. I have my doubts is all.
That's fine but we are 10 games into his first full season. The only way someone could possibly think he's under pressure is if their expectations are far too high.

Expectations should be low because the owner and board forced them to be really low. If people are upset they should protest against them. They have continued on this year like nothing happened last year and its a farce.

My issue with Everton at the moment is that I just kind of expect losses and am pleasently surprised with 3 points. Rafael has done so much damage to this club its unbelievable. I was happy with the two wins with Lampard so far but we are still conceding a lot of big chances which suggests that our defense/Pickford is on a great streak of shot stopping, and doesn't point to an overall cohesion in the team of nullifying opposition. Yesterday I didn't give us a shred of a chance. Which leaves a sour taste in my mouth because exactly a year or so before under Ancelotti, I fancied us going into any game. A fully fit DCL will show if we can push on to those levels again, but I feel the 'expected loss' mentality has even seeped into the team. Are their winners in that team that are gutted about losing yesterday? I don't think so, because of what nearly happened last year. That's now our comparison.

Lampard has improved almost every player we have. There comes a point when some limitations are not down the manager.

The two chances we created are almost identical positions to the two United chances. 80 million Antony and one of the greatest strikers of all time but both away though. 1.5 million pound Gray and a defensive midfielder thrust into an attacking midfield slot didn’t even hit the target. That’s the difference between a good performance and a statement win and another loss.

The margins are so fine in this league but there’s a world of difference between competing and being edged out, and not competing at all and being dismantled. Some of the bearings we’ve taken away at top grounds recently have been dismantlings. The two recent losses haven’t been. We’re being edged out because at the top end we don’t have enough quality, we all know this.
I think we played much worse last week. The game was there for the taking and we handed it on a plate to a mediocre United side. We need our home form to be far better.

He's improving those players individually which is great to see, but if it doesn't affect the overall teams output, then it's worth very little. Funny because the focus on the 'individual', dare I say, is a very tory mindset. Get Jezza in the dugout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back