2022/23 Frank Lampard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a criticism mate but i think it important we manage our expectations a bit. Hes doing well, all so far is hopeful, evidence of building and progression, we will all bite your hand off for that after last season. He has areas hes excellent at and others he needs to develop, club and us need to give him the time and space to develop those - always said leave him alone for 3 years regardless.

Truth is though, if we go on a run of 5 consecutive losses, people start shifting in their seats, thats the game he will know it better anyone so personally id keep the declarations on him fair and realistic, there will be inevitable lows and periods of bad form this season, - i think with perspective we can see hes a developing manager doing a lot well and improving the club situation, as we go on though expectations will get higher and he will have to rise to it - thats just the game and often familiarity breeds contempt, i dont necessarily believe in that myself, but they are the margins of engagement for any manager.

The real test for us as fans comes when he looses 3 or 4 on the trot.

I agree, results matter which is why the two wins we have had recently have been vital. If we didn't win those the media would have been given a very different and easy narrative to use against him and bring back some toxicity back to the club. We have to make sure we help the side navigate those rough patches, which will happen, he's learning as much as the club and some players are which is good. He has arrogance but he also has a bit of humbleness about him.

Im open minded mate, no point in talking in absolutes, but im more then happy to go with what we have until the end of the season, im more excited about this team blending and players developing then i am by the prospect of another addition, as i say id like to discern rather then be desperate, id be looking at how Dominic Calvert-Lewin fitness works out between then and now, overall im not a big fan of deals in Jan - when you look at what we did last Jan in Dele, DVB and El Gahzi overall it was massive waste of resources.

Agree totally on be discerning though, but for the first time in a very long time I think that's the model now

He's probably the best manager we have had since Moyes, not due to his ability, but due to his fit for the club. Ancelotti was quite clearly the best but there was still that detachment with him and the club.

For Ancelotti its a shame Covid happened and he never really got to forge any connection with the fans with the lockdowns.

I agree Lampard is a good fit on paper but I wouldn't say he is any better a fit than El Loco who seemed to get the club he was just crap at management. All honestly I dont feel a connection with Lampard but maybe its because of him being a Tory I don't know. Still want him to do well here same with every manager who sits in the dugout.

Go back to Moyes time though which I'd say is the nearest fit for the recruitment we've seen.

We did occasionally pick up a very good player in January, not often we used the Jan with him but did so well several times.

This season is about development though more than anything, players, style of play etc

To be fair to Moyes he was a bit of a genius at it, Mikel and Donavon loans - think Jela came in to think he dropped some clangers also, though id suggest they were the exception rather then the rule and i do think the Jan market has gotten worse in terms of opportunity since Moyes time, i dont like it at all - thats just my take though.

Not a criticism mate but i think it important we manage our expectations a bit. Hes doing well, all so far is hopeful, evidence of building and progression, we will all bite your hand off for that after last season. He has areas hes excellent at and others he needs to develop, club and us need to give him the time and space to develop those - always said leave him alone for 3 years regardless.

Truth is though, if we go on a run of 5 consecutive losses, people start shifting in their seats, thats the game he will know it better anyone so personally id keep the declarations on him fair and realistic, there will be inevitable lows and periods of bad form this season, - i think with perspective we can see hes a developing manager doing a lot well and improving the club situation, as we go on though expectations will get higher and he will have to rise to it - thats just the game and often familiarity breeds contempt, i dont necessarily believe in that myself, but they are the margins of engagement for any manager.

The real test for us as fans comes when he looses 3 or 4 on the trot.

I don't really like business in January, but I think you should always be looking to add 1 new face. Even a good loan deal for someone who can score 5+ goals could make a big difference.

There are far more games from January this season than a normal season, so I can see quite a lot of business being done by clubs.

I don't really like business in January, but I think you should always be looking to add 1 new face. Even a good loan deal for someone who can score 5+ goals could make a big difference.

There are far more games from January this season than a normal season, so I can see quite a lot of business being done by clubs.

Personally wouldnt myself mate, i dont think recruitment is the be all and end all, in fact i think you can over do it and create to much instability and change. Im open minded on it, i wouldn't be absolute, but if we are safe enough or looking so by the end of Jan id sit on my hands. We also need to be mindful of our budget and losses, we are far from free spending.

I do think this Jan market will be quite different, i think it will be fairly active given the WC and i can see clubs working on deals when domestic leagues finish up in Nov, really Nov - to the end of Jan is going to be active (we are only 6 weeks away from that) and different to most years. Once the wheel turns on one deal money will start to circulate and i can see it being a busy window overall for football in general. Still not a fan of it myself,

Personally wouldnt myself mate, i dont think recruitment is the be all and end all, in fact i think you can over do it and create to much instability and change. Im open minded on it, i wouldn't be absolute, but if we are safe enough or looking so by the end of Jan id sit on my hands. We also need to be mindful of our budget and losses, we are far from free spending.

I do think this Jan market will be quite different, i think it will be fairly active given the WC and i can see clubs working on deals when domestic leagues finish up in Nov, really Nov - to the end of Jan is going to be active and different to most years. Once the wheel turns on one deal money will start to circulate and i can see it being a busy window overall for football in general. Still not a fan of it myself,

Good players generally aren't available at the right price in January, but there can be good loan options available. I think we are short up top and should be open to bringing someone in if we get the chance. Especially if DCL's fitness hasn't improved by Christmas.

One thing with the Jan window, is every 2nd season, there is a Euro or World Cup (WC). So players are wanting playing time to make respective squads. Loans are usually more available, but due to the timing of this WC, who knows what will happen.
It may just increase the prices of players who stand out, currently at lower clubs.

He's probably the best manager we have had since Moyes, not due to his ability, but due to his fit for the club. Ancelotti was quite clearly the best but there was still that detachment with him and the club.
Spot on, I always had the feeling that Carlo was just passing through, we were a decent gig for him while he waited for a top job to come along. He was never a good fit for Everton, but, just for a while, it looked like it was working.

Or not shove players into positions they’re not great at? There are other formations in that scenario.

So you’d rather change formation completely than play Iwobi for a few games in the position he played his entire career in before Lampard moved him? Ok.

So you’d rather change formation completely than play Iwobi for a few games in the position he played his entire career in before Lampard moved him? Ok.

You mean play him in a position he played in his entire career badly before Lampard moved him? Yes, I would change formation. Or do I need to go into the vaults and find you slating Iwobi whenever he played in said position you'd move him to?

For Ancelotti its a shame Covid happened and he never really got to forge any connection with the fans with the lockdowns.

I agree Lampard is a good fit on paper but I wouldn't say he is any better a fit than El Loco who seemed to get the club he was just crap at management. All honestly I dont feel a connection with Lampard but maybe its because of him being a Tory I don't know. Still want him to do well here same with every manager who sits in the dugout.

Yet you felt a connection with an absolutely raging kopite who hates us, disgraceful.

? ? ? ? ?

Spot on, I always had the feeling that Carlo was just passing through, we were a decent gig for him while he waited for a top job to come along. He was never a good fit for Everton, but, just for a while, it looked like it was working.
It was good though, whilst it happened.

I still smile at the thought that for a while, Ancelotti was our actual manager

I agree, results matter which is why the two wins we have had recently have been vital. If we didn't win those the media would have been given a very different and easy narrative to use against him and bring back some toxicity back to the club. We have to make sure we help the side navigate those rough patches, which will happen, he's learning as much as the club and some players are which is good. He has arrogance but he also has a bit of humbleness about him.
I think Frank will be acknowledging the help he is receiving from his DOF Mr. Thelwell who has made some astute signings in my opinion with more to come in future transfer dealings and I think Garner will add greatly to Everton’s midfield in the very near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.