From Pundit to Manager?

Status
Not open for further replies.

steken1

Player Valuation: £70m
There was talk a long time ago we were going to get Andy Gray taking over as manager. It looks like we'll need a manager again soon enough and I wonder if we should consider this route?

There's some pundits out there that really know their onions like Owen, Lawrenson, Savage, Gray and Redknapp. TBH I couldn't have an Ex-RS manage us but there is one fella I think is brilliant.

Step forward Andy Townsend. The more I hear him speak the more I realise he knows the game inside out, would have the media onside and comes across as a likeable fella that players could respond to. Plus he's played at the very highest level and starred at the WC so he can handle pressure.

I think this could be the way forward for us. Think outside the box instead of the usual no marks off the merry go round.

He gets the Scouse culture, a full understanding of the game, and he's got drive and determination from listening to his commentary.

Could see this happening, we gave Moyes a chance from the lower leagues, and we were going to give Gray a go, why not start someone off on an exciting managerial career?

Would take a while for him to adjust to management, perhaps Moyes could stay on in some capacity to help him along?

Good shout this actually. He's been there and done it. Very knowledgable and well respected and connected throughout the game. Not as silly as it sounds.

How about that Ron Atkinson? He's been a pundit AND a manager.

Don't see him doing much of either these days for some reason though.

If you'd have said Gary Neville with Pip as his sidekick then you'd have got away with it, but Townsend is on a par with Barry Chuckle in terms of his credibility :)

I'm not so sure you could go from being a pundit to a manager these days.

When Peter Johnson sounded out Andy Gray, that era, it may have been possible but the game is so far advanced from that now, I don't think it's possible.

I'm not so sure you could go from being a pundit to a manager these days.

When Peter Johnson sounded out Andy Gray, that era, it may have been possible but the game is so far advanced from that now, I don't think it's possible.

It's still 11vs 11 mate. He's an innovator when you think who introduced Pro-Zone to a wider audience and you can tell he's got a way with words. I'm not sure there's much more to the job than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.