From Pundit to Manager?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was talk a long time ago we were going to get Andy Gray taking over as manager. It looks like we'll need a manager again soon enough and I wonder if we should consider this route?

There's some pundits out there that really know their onions like Owen, Lawrenson, Savage, Gray and Redknapp. TBH I couldn't have an Ex-RS manage us but there is one fella I think is brilliant.

Step forward Andy Townsend. The more I hear him speak the more I realise he knows the game inside out, would have the media onside and comes across as a likeable fella that players could respond to. Plus he's played at the very highest level and starred at the WC so he can handle pressure.

I think this could be the way forward for us. Think outside the box instead of the usual no marks off the merry go round.

serious.jpg

There was talk a long time ago we were going to get Andy Gray taking over as manager. It looks like we'll need a manager again soon enough and I wonder if we should consider this route?

There's some pundits out there that really know their onions like Owen, Lawrenson, Savage, Gray and Redknapp. TBH I couldn't have an Ex-RS manage us but there is one fella I think is brilliant.

Step forward Andy Townsend. The more I hear him speak the more I realise he knows the game inside out, would have the media onside and comes across as a likeable fella that players could respond to. Plus he's played at the very highest level and starred at the WC so he can handle pressure.

I think this could be the way forward for us. Think outside the box instead of the usual no marks off the merry go round.

Im sorry, ****ing Owen and Redknapp? I MEAN REDKNAPP? He's ****ing terrible.

I cannot stand Andy townsend, the master of stating the obvious in my opinion. Andy Gray would have been a great proposition.

Andy Gray was never going to be Everton's manager. He used us to leverage a better deal out of Sky. Punditry is easy money. I know he's had to take a pay cut since, but Hansen getting £40k a show was ludicrous. But why would anyone give that up for the uncertainty of a managerial job? Also, I used be based in Singapore and knew a lot of the ESPN pundits out there. One of them, Shebby Singh, I was amazed every time he was on - his lack of knowledge of the players, and even the game was legendary. We reckon it was cos he used to get McMahon's veins popping, that's why they used him.

Anyway we dodged a bullet with that misogynist Gray. If I had to plump for a pundit, I'd give Martin Keown a shout. Although Kevin Sheedy might want to keep quiet in his job with the youth!

The current incumbant, may however, go from manager to pundit.....and, in our case, that's about as close as those 2 words will be associated with The Club in any way shape or form.

not a sh1tshow

Yeah he did to be fair. Weird that he never did anything else after that.

Andy Townsend FFS. Hes slightly above Mark Bright on the pundit scale.

Fair point. Bright is good. I think him and Dion Dublin would work well together. Probably need to cut thier teeth at Championship level before a club our size considers them though.

Fair point. Bright is good. I think him and Dion Dublin would work well together. Probably need to cut thier teeth at Championship level before a club our size considers them though.

There is a massive amount of ground work you previously have to have under you're belt in order to be able to make an immediate tangible impression on PL football especially at a club such as Everton. Given the obvious high stakes and taking into account who he was following it would be a massive gamble to install someone with no managerial experience, it would be based solely on pure guess work with no visible track record to examine.

I just cannot see Everton taking that sort of gamble when the stakes are so high. Given their current unstable position and standing with the Everton faithful, Bill and his chums will be playing safe no question about it

Last edited:
There is a massive amount of ground work you previously have to have under you're belt in order to be able to make an immediate tangible impression on PL football especially at a club such as Everton. Given the obvious high stakes and taking into account who he was following it would be a massive gamble to install someone with no managerial experience, it would be based solely on pure guess work with no visible track record to examine.

I just cannot see Everton taking that sort of gamble when the stakes are so high. Given their current unstable position and standing with the Everton faithful, Bill and his chums will be playing safe no question about it

Just maybe after 11 years of standing still with mostly uninspiring football and boring interviews the board will dare to dream? No more playing safe.

Kenwright loves a fairytale. Picture this.

Andy walks in looking amazeballs in his shiny Burton gear and tells the worlds press nothing but the best is good enough for EFC.

"Forget 40 points we're going for 80."

"These players are capable of mixing with anyone in this league they've proven that by beating the top 2 last season."

"Plus they've got me. Master tactician, football icon and a man who's never said die in my whole career as a player or a pundit."

It'd be like Mourinho MkII. The press would be eating out of his hand. The fans would be absolutely buzzing and the players would feel 10ft tall.

Experience is over-rated!

At first I assumed this was a wind up but the more I think about this the more it makes sense. He has played at the highest level and under immense pressure. He clearly shows his tactical abilities on a weekly basis, some of the things he spots in games and the analysis of those things is second to none.

I don't think a lack of managerial experience would hinder him to much either, I think his motivational skills coupled with his tactical awareness could serve us well and compensate for the lack of experience, I don't think we should be so quick to palm this off as a daft idea. We need to ensure that we install an experienced assistant who he can bounce ideas off and help with the day to day running of the first team until he had learned the ropes, but I think he could have a big impact where it matters, performances on the pitch.

At first I assumed this was a wind up but the more I think about this the more it makes sense. He has played at the highest level and under immense pressure. He clearly shows his tactical abilities on a weekly basis, some of the things he spots in games and the analysis of those things is second to none.

I don't think a lack of managerial experience would hinder him to much either, I think his motivational skills coupled with his tactical awareness could serve us well and compensate for the lack of experience, I don't think we should be so quick to palm this off as a daft idea. We need to ensure that we install an experienced assistant who he can bounce ideas off and help with the day to day running of the first team until he had learned the ropes, but I think he could have a big impact where it matters, performances on the pitch.
But would the theory translate on to the pitch in practice?

Also, pundits have the massive benefit of instant replays and every camera angle, managers (like refs) don't have that and have to make snap decisions on one real time viewing.

But would the theory translate on to the pitch in practice?

Also, pundits have the massive benefit of instant replays and every camera angle, managers (like refs) don't have that and have to make snap decisions on one real time viewing.

He has a natural ability to spot those things mate, he then goes through it step by step on the replays for the benefit of the viewers, whereas he has spotted it as it happened and called it there and then. I appreciate he isn't most peoples first choice but like Ste says, it's all about thinking outside the box for the long term benefit of the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back