Transfer Rumour Gabriel (Lille)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a pity we didn't refuse to increase our offer above £25m for other players.

We have to be more cautious now because of past mistakes by Walsh & Brands and that makes things trickier.

We have other issues that are higher priorities that need sorted urgently.

Is this like a parody?

The next Thiago Silva?

We are absolutely right to walk away from the deal if we don't think it is worth it. For too long we've just paid out what everyone else wants hence the price we paid for Sigurdson, Bolasie etc.

The irony is, the people on this forum moaning we haven't matched Arsenal's bid will be the same people who would say we shouldn't have paid the money if he turned out to be pony.

you do realise we had agree a larger fee before Covid dont you?

Its not a case of Brands not rating Gabriel otherwise we wouldn't be in for him anyway its down to the following:

1. Brands being a smart arse trying to renegotiate a deal in which other parties then became interested in which he goes crying to the media for leaking stories

2. If the funds aint there - maybe thats down to Brands pishing away over £100 million last summer on largely crap players.

Giving us the benefit of the doubt, I think it's gone something like this.

We only had Holgate, Mina and Keane as CBs and started negotiations for Gabriel. Covid hit and affects finances, restart happened and we realised how bad our midfield options are and that Branthwaite is promising so we have cover. Priorities have changed and we reduced our offer.

If it was really straightforward he would have already gone elsewhere.

Also, a bit like Zaha stories last summer, most transfer rumours are pure fiction. Probably started by agents to increase their profits.

Can’t understand the criticism of Brands on this one. If he doesn’t think the player is worth the money then we move on to our next target. If we had done this in the past then we would not be in the position of having spent colossal sums of money on a mid table squad.
I have no doubt that when clubs see our interest in a player they up the asking price, they know our history. We need to get a bit more savvy in the transfer market, if we loose the odd player along the way that is unfortunate but necessary.
Bring in a midfield, get ourselves up the table and make ourselves more attractive to players,

As already said by a few. We have 3 cbs plus branthwaite and maybe Gibson too. If Gabriel wanted to come here he would have been here already. He wants champions league footy. The main priority has got to be at least 2/3 midfielders. As usual brands is trying to get rid of the crap big earners we are stuck with to try and get some money off the books.
It wasn't his making but he's been left to clear up the mess. Havnt even seen this Gabriel guy play so can't comment on what he is like. But I'm happy to see us take a stand on transfer fees rather than pay the inflated fees for players that we have done the last few years

Saying that an all mighty balls up by Brands this one.

Had the next Thiago Silva in his hands then tried being a smart arse to save a few quid which has back fired on him.

After this and last summer is there any further proof that this fella is out of his league in the Premier League?

Stick to signing 750k players in Holland.

mate, are you actually a real human being? Why do you make stuff up like this? You are like an over dramatic version of the Daily Sport.

bet you’ve never even seen him play.

mate, are you actually a real human being? Why do you make stuff up like this? You are like an over dramatic version of the Daily Sport.

bet you’ve never even seen him play.

Well if he wasn't very good why were we in for him in the first place?

Surely a 6 month chase for sod all if he was another busted flush?

Lets not be Kopites and have 237 pages wanting a player then when he goes to Arsenal play the "he probably was crap anyway" line its embarassing.

you do realise we had agree a larger fee before Covid dont you?

Its not a case of Brands not rating Gabriel otherwise we wouldn't be in for him anyway its down to the following:

1. Brands being a smart arse trying to renegotiate a deal in which other parties then became interested in which he goes crying to the media for leaking stories

2. If the funds aint there - maybe thats down to Brands pishing away over £100 million last summer on largely crap players.
We have higher priorities.
We don’t really need a CB. We are desperate to sort out mid field and right back / right wing.
This one had the feel to me of when we signed Vlasic along with Klassen and Rooney all in the same position.
The transfer policy needs to focus on what we really need first - CM, RB, RW, LB ang GK. If we managed anything close to that we would be doing well. Spending our budget on a CB Right now seems an error to me, especially with Branthwaite and Gibson coming through,

Fine with this if true. He would have been a nice-to-have, but we don't have an unlimited pot of money and if paying over the odds for this lad means we can't afford the midfield reinforcements we desperately need then we move on.

I really don't think Brands or the fee was the issue, when you see the likes of Valencia selling off their squad for peanuts, I think we are well within our rights to renegotiate.

The main issue is Gabriel was clearly holding out for another club and would have strung us along all summer if necessary. Nothing Brands can do about that other than massively overpay and thats a mistake were isnt sustainable and we've trying to erase from our transfer strategy. Happy how this has been handled tbf, walk away and pursue Plan B. At least it's happened this early so we don't end up with Zouma pt II.

We have higher priorities.
We don’t really need a CB. We are desperate to sort out mid field and right back / right wing.
This one had the feel to me of when we signed Vlasic along with Klassen and Rooney all in the same position.
The transfer policy needs to focus on what we really need first - CM, RB, RW, LB ang GK. If we managed anything close to that we would be doing well. Spending our budget on a CB Right now seems an error to me, especially with Branthwaite and Gibson coming through,

My issue isn't that mate - its the fact we had this deal all but sorted and Brands cocks it up trying to renegotiate.

Had Arsenal and Napoli blown us out the water back in Feb then fair enough- but they didnt they came in 6 months later whilst Brands is trying to save a few quid.

This fella is out of his depth.

I knew soon as Ancelotti came in we would find a way to mess things up we are officially a banter club alongside the likes of West Ham, Newcastle, Sunderland, Watford - existing purely to give a good chortle to the teams around us.

You can already see where this summer window is heading - hope for next season officially gone.

Not looking good @matty1878 lad.

Saying that an all mighty balls up by Brands this one.

Had the next Thiago Silva in his hands then tried being a smart arse to save a few quid which has back fired on him.

After this and last summer is there any further proof that this fella is out of his league in the Premier League?

Stick to signing 750k players in Holland.
We will never know exactly what’s gone on behind the scenes.

but he/we will constantly miss out on our top targets every window, if he sticks to a figure and won’t budge. That’s the only slight advantage we have over the teams at t top , is to push the boat out. And quickly, not for every player, but if it’s your top target I don’t think it’s a big issue

I always remember Middlesbrough signing the Yak from Portsmouth very early one summer. Had they haggled and waited, probably I big team wouid have come in for him later in the window.

Well if he wasn't very good why were we in for him in the first place?

Surely a 6 month chase for sod all if he was another busted flush?

Lets not be Kopites and have 237 pages wanting a player then when he goes to Arsenal play the "he probably was crap anyway" line its embarassing.

what’s embarrassing is you claiming him to be the next Thiago Silva when you’ve never even seen him playlol get a grip man FFS!

Status
Not open for further replies.