Gareth Barry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given we don't have to pay any transfer fees, 50k for two season (3rd is based on gamed played ie if he turns poor we don't have to extend) sounds a great deal to me. To replace not only his skill but also 'big game' experience would cost much more in combined transfer fees+wages.

Think he will be really useful if we get into Europe next season and his coaching of the younger players in how to read the game invaluable.

Think the question is will he take 50k a week?

Think he will be able to get much more elsewhere but we are able to offer the following:
Not moving family either within UK or abroad - think he has two young kids and moving schools/friends can cause problems
A team he is settled in with a playing style that matches his skills
A manager that rates him highly and who showed faith in him - Barry strikes me as a pretty loyal guy.
Regular playing time and a high profile when he performs well - lots of non city fans have rated him this year which must be good for his ego

Think it depends on how important getting the most amount of money for his family in his final years is to him versus non financial aspects

Martinez said during the last summer window that he was after more "leaders" in the dressing room, and with that I think he was hinting at the Barry signing. Although it was done late in the window, Martinez had been to see him at his home earlier in he summer so it had been lined up for a while.

He'll bring more than what he does on the pitch to the club as a mentor to some of the younger squad members, and long term is he someone Martinez may want to join the coaching staff?

He's pretty good and worth keeping for an extra season but as usual is overhyped by our fans somewhat

Two year deal max, for me.

He's sound now but you never know when a player's body will give up the ghost, it gets far more likely as you get into your early thirties.

I don't see any reason for us to give him a three year contract, he won't get it at any other club competing where we are in the league.

He's a good player and this will be his last big payday. At least when he is around young McCarthy can learn his game around Barry. By the time his contract is up maybe Barkley will have matured and can replace Barry in the midfield

Pace all of 0% of his game. I'd rather have 2yrs at 50k but 3 is fair considering I could see another club matching or exceeding that. He can play until 36. He's pretty durable and doesn't get or make tackles. Plus his workload wasn't really taxing at City.

He's sound now but you never know when a player's body will give up the ghost, it gets far more likely as you get into your early thirties.

I don't see any reason for us to give him a three year contract, he won't get it at any other club competing where we are in the league.

I feel uneasy agreeing with Brenz to much but he has nailed it here

I would imagine he can't play in a match against City in the FA Cup - unless he's been completely released from his contract at City. If that were the case he could also play in the league game(s) against them.

At first glance three years seems a bit much, but considering the massive wage reduction Barry would be taking it makes sense.

I think he may end up going somewhere else. Tottenham are due an Anglicising of their squad after the AVB disaster, so I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up there.

The deal I have seen reported is 2 years with a 3rd dependant on him having a certain number of games in the previous years. Doesn't that help shield us as bit if he turns gash?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back