Gareth Barry

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...on-t-stop-having-beer-game.html#ixzz3nS9cePgJ
It is only when you analyse the figures that Barry's durability and consistency becomes apparent. He has played more than 30 games in each of the past 13 seasons and his fitness record has been exemplary, a point reaffirmed by his strong display in the recent dismantling of Chelsea.

So what is his secret? Phil Neville, a former Everton captain, used to sleep every afternoon once he passed 30, while Steven Gerrard had his training programme tailored. Is Barry doing anything unusual? 'I'd love to tell you that I do stuff differently,' he says. 'But I can't say I've got a special routine or I am 100 per cent dedicated to my body and don't eat junk food. That's not true. I lead a normal life. 'What probably has helped recently is the international breaks. I am not representing England and I am getting a lot of benefit from not having that schedule. The more games you play as you get older, it gets harder to recover.

'Don't get me wrong, I've changed some things. I do an extra warm-up in the morning, I do yoga and look after myself a bit better on recovery days, but I wouldn't say there is a plan. It could be good genes off my mum and dad.' He is humble, but there is more to it than that. You don't play more than 700 games or survive the extraordinary changes that have swept through the English game without being talented, committed or smart. 'Off the pitch it's completely different now,' reflects Barry. 'When I started, you would just come in, train, then go home. Now you see everyone coming in 90 minutes before training. There is so much on offer in the treatment rooms and the gym, like the yoga sessions, to try and get the body right.

'There was a drinking culture back then. You'd get the odd foreign player who would despise drinking. But it was a big part of the English culture and the players would have a pint after a game and sometimes in midweek. Now it's not even spoken about.' Has he stopped drinking? 'I have a glass of wine or a beer after a game,' he says. 'But that's something I've always done and as I seem to be going all right, I'm not going to change it! I haven't changed too much between 17 and 34.'

Continues his fine form, has recaptured his first season form.
Yeah, not having Thursday/Sunday is helping him. If he plays like this no problem with him staying next season, just if we make europe they need to manage him better next season to keep him fresh.

Am I the only one who thought he wasn't that great today?

He made an error in the first half, again misplacing a pass that very nearly let them in. Made quite a few hit and hope 20 yard passes up to a red shirt when he didn't need to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back