Gareth Barry

Status
Not open for further replies.
He has been good this season but we need to be grooming a replacement for him. I worry he is going to do a Distin and go from decent to abysmal in an instant. Hope Besic can be the man.

http://www.[Publication is blacklis...agues-most-error-prone-player-this-se/page/1/

There we are in black and white yet still the cult of denial continues. Barry has been ok this season (apart from Spurs when he was abysmal). But the fact remains that when he is in the side we fail to break teams down until one of him or McCarthy are removed from the midfield. You also have to play a certain way to compensate his lack of pace and as we can see he makes a lot of errors. Is he good enough to accept all them caveats? Not in my book. Gibson should have seen game time on Sunday as we had Liverpool where we wanted them yet we couldn't land a telling blow unlike the week before when Gibson comes on and we score two away from home against a Pulis side. Progressive forward thinking attacking passing from the midfield gives your wingers and strikers the balls they thrive on to unlock teams. Barry and McCarthy cannot offer that.

There we are in black and white yet still the cult of denial continues. Barry has been ok this season (apart from Spurs when he was abysmal). But the fact remains that when he is in the side we fail to break teams down until one of him or McCarthy are removed from the midfield. You also have to play a certain way to compensate his lack of pace and as we can see he makes a lot of errors. Is he good enough to accept all them caveats? Not in my book. Gibson should have seen game time on Sunday as we had Liverpool where we wanted them yet we couldn't land a telling blow unlike the week before when Gibson comes on and we score two away from home against a Pulis side. Progressive forward thinking attacking passing from the midfield gives your wingers and strikers the balls they thrive on to unlock teams. Barry and McCarthy cannot offer that.

Have you even read the article?...

Barry, 34, has been a regular for Everton this season, and has made positive contributions towards his side's rise to seventh place in the table, although he is yet to score or register an assist.

He played a key role in the draw with Liverpool at the weekend, winning three tackles and creating two goalscoring chances, touching the ball 70 times, more than any other Everton player apart from Ross Barkley (74).

Have you even read the article?...

All I can see there is that he'd played a lot, has no goals or assists, and took loads of touches in the Derby. That's no surprise, he takes far too many touches all the time which is the reason our game is so slow.

Barry suits some games, and he has been tidier this season but he shouldn't be playing every game. Indeed Martinez said last season that if we hadn't have had injuries he wouldn't have played all the time. That's obviously a lie because Gibson Osman Cleverley Besic and Barkley cannot get a look in (when fit) in either of the two central midfield positions. We've played well v Southampton and Chelsea, every other game our good patches have come when one of McCarthy of Barry is moved out of midfield. Watford when Barry went to left back, WBA when McCarthy went to right back. For the former Barkley dropped deeper and against WBA Gibson came on. We then proceeded to gain 4 points from those changes. The McCarthy Barry axis is just too negative. One of them needs to drop out and for me I'd rather keep the 24 year old than the 34 year old.

All I can see there is that he'd played a lot, has no goals or assists, and took loads of touches in the Derby. That's no surprise, he takes far too many touches all the time which is the reason our game is so slow.

Barry suits some games, and he has been tidier this season but he shouldn't be playing every game. Indeed Martinez said last season that if we hadn't have had injuries he wouldn't have played all the time. That's obviously a lie because Gibson Osman Cleverley Besic and Barkley cannot get a look in (when fit) in either of the two central midfield positions. We've played well v Southampton and Chelsea, every other game our good patches have come when one of McCarthy of Barry is moved out of midfield. Watford when Barry went to left back, WBA when McCarthy went to right back. For the former Barkley dropped deeper and against WBA Gibson came on. We then proceeded to gain 4 points from those changes. The McCarthy Barry axis is just too negative. One of them needs to drop out and for me I'd rather keep the 24 year old than the 34 year old.

So even though Barry and McCarthy played as a holding pair in our best two performances of the season to date, in games that were expected to be though and hard fought but we actually dominated and scored 6 goals, playing some wonderful attacking football, and forgetting the article you praised for putting it "in black and white" that Barry's makes 'positive contributions' and 'played a key role' on Sunday, you're doggedly sticking to a tired agenda that's been proven wrong countless times?

So even though Barry and McCarthy played as a holding pair in our best two performances of the season to date, in games that were expected to be though and hard fought but we actually dominated and scored 6 goals, playing some wonderful attacking football, and forgetting the article you praised for putting it "in black and white" that Barry's makes 'positive contributions' and 'played a key role' on Sunday, you're doggedly sticking to a tired agenda that's been proven wrong countless times?

How has it been proved wrong countless times? The entirety of last season backs up the view that our midfield was not good enough. We've had two good performances out of 8 and in some ways they make sense as Southampton and Chelsea came at us playing into Barry and McCarthys hands, they can sit deep then Spring our forward players on the counter, I fully expect us to do United this way as well. The other games we've genuinely stuggled to break teams down unless one of Barry or McCarthy has been moved out of the midfield.

They are a decent pairing for certain games. I just don't understand why when we have the players I've listed on the bench we never ever change the middle 2 regardless of opposition. Barry will tire this season as all 34 year olds do but judging from the evidence of the last 3 seasons we will continue to play him. It just baffles me.

I think Barry has done good defensive work and he's okay at being the pivot in the middle of the park. I just think in the derby, we desperately needed someone that could link the back to the front more consistently. With two defensive-minded fullbacks and two defensive midfielders, the guys up top were completely on their own. The longballs were low percentage passes and very rarely served any purpose.

This isn't really Barry's fault and he's pretty good at what he does. He's just not a great passer and when we have to funnel so much play through him, he's more liable to make mistakes.

He has been good this season but we need to be grooming a replacement for him. I worry he is going to do a Distin and go from decent to abysmal in an instant. Hope Besic can be the man.

Interesting that point, there are some advocating releasing Besic.

Barry has been real good for Everton this season, not sure what that article says, could be pro, could be negative, but i can judge with my eyes on what i have seen, and he has done well. Vast inprovment on last season, played a roll in games that have kept Everton in the right half of the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back