Gareth Barry

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Barry has done good defensive work and he's okay at being the pivot in the middle of the park. I just think in the derby, we desperately needed someone that could link the back to the front more consistently. With two defensive-minded fullbacks and two defensive midfielders, the guys up top were completely on their own. The longballs were low percentage passes and very rarely served any purpose.

This isn't really Barry's fault and he's pretty good at what he does. He's just not a great passer and when we have to funnel so much play through him, he's more liable to make mistakes.

Just not true mate:

Gareth Barry has completed 353 passes this season with a pass accuracy of 81%, of which 90% were forward passes.
Read more at http://www.squawka.com/players/gareth-barry/stats

Just not true mate:

That doesn't really prove he's a great passer. It just means he can do a decent job if needed to. He's pretty good at turning and making a 15 yard pass to an open guy. I just don't want him to be the one in charge of triggering our attack. Ideally he should be passing to a Gibson type or have Barkley drop back, pick up the ball and run at people. Barry should be the deep guy making sure we get the ball out of our side of the pitch.

From http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/...eek-9-everton-gareth-barry-tracking-data.html

Friday 16 October 2015

Evergreen Barry putting in the yards for Everton
Midfielder, at the age of 34, still ranks in top five for distances covered in Barclays Premier League

Gareth Barry is showing that age is no barrier to maintaining an all-action style in the middle of the field for Everton.

Tracking data shows that the 34-year-old is fifth in the rankings of distance covered by players Barclays Premier League this season, and the midfielder is also one match away from a landmark moment.

Barry has covered 91.9 kilometres this term, ranking behind Liverpool's James Milner, AFC Bournemouth's Andrew Surman and Matt Ritchie and Aaron Ramsey of Arsenal. The only other player aged 30 or over in the top 10 for distance covered is West Bromwich Albion's Darren Fletcher, who has run 90.2km.

The next-highest 34-year-old in the rankings is West Brom defender Gareth McAuley, who has run 30.7km fewer than Barry.

Most distance covered in 2015/16
Player (Club) Distance
Milner (LIV) 99.9km
Surman (BOU) 96.2km
Ritchie (BOU) 95.4km
Ramsey (ARSl) 93.6km
Barry (EVE) 91.9km

He might not be the fastest, in fact, I'm sure he's not the fastest, but this season Gareth Barry has been running, running, running all over the pitch ( Soz James ), which just shows how deceptive some players can be.

:coffee:

plays really well against teams with deeper and slower center mids, but against faster ones he struggles.

That said plays well in bigger games and has know how, would look to replace in the summer and either allow someone like besic to come through or bring someone else in, but think he'll do alright this season if used properly.

Played really well in some games so far, badly in others but he is a older guy.

Important pro for the crop of young'ens we have

plays really well against teams with deeper and slower center mids, but against faster ones he struggles.

That said plays well in bigger games and has know how, would look to replace in the summer and either allow someone like besic to come through or bring someone else in, but think he'll do alright this season if used properly.

Played really well in some games so far, badly in others but he is a older guy.

Important pro for the crop of young'ens we have
Which have the bad games been?

As I just pointed out in another thread, I saw an interesting stat yesterday about GB on Sky Sports news.

Gareth Barry is 5th in the 'players who have covered the most ground stats'. No sign of McCarthy in that top 5 either.

So for those saying his legs have gone, just think about that. The mistakes he makes are a different debate, but he can still cover ground with the best of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back