Gareth Barry

Status
Not open for further replies.
been a few games since we won a midfield battle, the system or the players?

A mixture of both perhaps, that and being too safe at home. That and too many attacks breaking down quickly because our forwards play with rubber legs in some games, putting the dm's under more pressure than they should ideally have to cope with.

A mixture of both perhaps, that and being too safe at home. That and too many attacks breaking down quickly because our forwards play with rubber legs in some games, putting the dm's under more pressure than they should ideally have to cope with.
the dm's play so flat, they pretty much surrender the space in front of them, I also don't buy Barry's creativity, massive hindrance when only one player out of six going forward is really comfortable on the ball

the dm's play so flat, they pretty much surrender the space in front of them, I also don't buy Barry's creativity, massive hindrance when only one player out of six going forward is really comfortable on the ball

I wouldn't say he's creative. What he does add is nous. He's intelligent and still puts himself about and is good at breaking up attacks even at the chance of getting booked. However he gives the ball away far too often in dangerous areas for me.

I think McCarthy has stagnated although I still rate him. I think a rotation of Cleverly or Besic in the CM needs to happen more often personally.(when fit obviously)

I wouldn't say he's creative. What he does add is nous. He's intelligent and still puts himself about and is good at breaking up attacks even at the chance of getting booked. However he gives the ball away far too often in dangerous areas for me.

I think McCarthy has stagnated although I still rate him. I think a rotation of Cleverly or Besic in the CM needs to happen more often personally.
I completely agree with that, I do wonder if McCarthy is operating to instructions though, I can't believe someone with his energy would play so flat alongside another dcm otherwise, one thing we have seen under Martinez is that a lack of genuine competition, not through the squad but down to manager preference is not healthy

I completely agree with that, I do wonder if McCarthy is operating to instructions though, I can't believe someone with his energy would play so flat alongside another dcm otherwise, one thing we have seen under Martinez is that a lack of genuine competition, not through the squad but down to manager preference is not healthy

Yeah, They both seem un-droppable at times even when playing badly.

I honestly thought after McCarthy's first season learning off GB and being such an effective partnership that he would have kicked on and really started controlling games. Whether it's tactics or not holding him back who knows.

Yeah, They both seem un-droppable at times even when playing badly.

I honestly thought after McCarthy's first season learning off GB and being such an effective partnership that he would have kicked on and really started controlling games. Whether it's tactics or not holding him back who knows.
That's a big complaint for me, apparently Barry has been wonderful this season, yet it's been some time since we dictated the midfield and controlled the tempo of a game

McCarthy will never be the type to control a game though. He's there to get about, hassle the opposition and look to play the ball quickly to players who have a better passing range and are more effective going forward. This season he's probably just been a bit wasteful on the ball.

Barry is in there to provide 1) experience and 2) sharp feet and passing in tight areas.

McCarthy will never be the type to control a game though. He's there to get about, hassle the opposition and look to play the ball quickly to players who have a better passing range and are more effective going forward. This season he's probably just been a bit wasteful on the ball.

Barry is in there to provide 1) experience and 2) sharp feet and passing in tight areas.
Well then that combo is a problem when you select naismith and lennon as well

For me though the way we set up with non wide players out wide, we need someone in the middle who can pick a pass and we don't have that at the moment. If we are playing 2 proper wingers then have 2 holding players by all means.

We don't though and especially at home I'd like to see a different approach. I'm not slating either player by the way, just the fact i feel we could do with freshening it up now and again, give the opposition something different to think about.

Well then that combo is a problem when you select naismith and lennon as well

I really think that has been down to injuries/fitness, though. Cleverley will give us another option and I think having him back will give Martinez the confidence to play Mirallas/Del from the start, on the right, which is the best place for both.

Though I do expect Kone to start at Arsenal, like.

For me though the way we set up with non wide players out wide, we need someone in the middle who can pick a pass and we don't have that at the moment. If we are playing 2 proper wingers then have 2 holding players by all means.

We don't though and especially at home I'd like to see a different approach. I'm not slating either player by the way, just the fact i feel we could do with freshening it up now and again, give the opposition something different to think about.

I reckon yeh, against teams we need to take the onus against, play two wingers or move Barkley back into CM to get on the ball more. But, Man Utd game aside which was just a bad day at the office all round, I don't think there's been much wrong with RM's team selection over the last few weeks, given the injuries/suspensions we've had.

I reckon yeh, against teams we need to take the onus against, play two wingers or move Barkley back into CM to get on the ball more. But, Man Utd game aside which was just a bad day at the office all round, I don't think there's been much wrong with RM's team selection over the last few weeks, given the injuries/suspensions we've had.

The main qualm I have with his selections are him sticking with Naismith but that's for a different thread lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back