Gareth Barry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was dreadful against Spurs last season as well, think their style of play exposes his weaknesses.

I think Pochetino gives them specific instructions to press him heavily and fast, they've identified it as a weakness. As he tires and particularly after cleverly went off (and his passing options were more limited) it really exposed him. Given the effect it had I'm surprised other teams aren't doing the same!

If we can't sign a decent advanced playmaker then a deep lying one who could replace Baz mightn't be a bad alternative.

I think Pochetino gives them specific instructions to press him heavily and fast, they've identified it as a weakness. As he tires and particularly after cleverly went off (and his passing options were more limited) it really exposed him. Given the effect it had I'm surprised other teams aren't doing the same!

If we can't sign a decent advanced playmaker then a deep lying one who could replace Baz mightn't be a bad alternative.
Excellent point about Cleverley's injury affecting his passing options, Barry hadn't looked that bad in the first half - lets hope his injury isn't as serious as it looked.

They have a lot of strong and quick players, and better movement than we do, so you might be right there.

The problem is that for all of Barry's strengths, his weaknesses are exposed a bit too often these days.

Though the fact that said strengths are ignored in the wake of that does irk me. His passing is superb, for example.
Respect your togger opinions, but barrys passing is poor and due to being the most one footed player ive ever seen his body shape and movement is pathetically predictable

Respect your togger opinions, but barrys passing is poor and due to being the most one footed player ive ever seen his body shape and movement is pathetically predictable

I guess I should have been more specific really. I meant Barry's ability to play long passes. Technically he's one of the best passers in the team, and one of maybe 2 or 3 who can play accurate 40 yard passes.

However he usually plays short passes and when having a poor game, like today, they may go astray. I would say a lot of this stems from his physical limitations though, not his actual passing ability.

One thing I don't like is that when he has a good game people don't really say anything, but when he has a bad one people come out in force. Seems unfair. Ultimately though I think people would get less frustrated if he was just used more sparingly by Martinez. No one likes players who seem un-droppable.

I guess I should have been more specific really. I meant Barry's ability to play long passes. Technically he's one of the best passers in the team, and one of maybe 2 or 3 who can play accurate 40 yard passes.

However he usually plays short passes and when having a poor game, like today, they may go astray. I would say a lot of this stems from his physical limitations though, not his actual passing ability.

One thing I don't like is that when he has a good game people don't really say anything, but when he has a bad one people come out in force. Seems unfair. Ultimately though I think people would get less frustrated if he was just used more sparingly by Martinez. No one likes players who seem un-droppable.
I would agree that he suffers from the same situation as the cleverly transfer, most critics probably knew cleverly was not utterly useless, but they could smell another martinez favourite, and after the moyes years that level of objectivety when it suits the manager, is massively frustrating. For example martinez clearly knows barkley will develop better in a deeper role but simply wont break up his chosen two.

As for barrys passing, i simply have to disagree, i find his long range passing far too straight most of the time, which makes it very hard for the striker, and as i alluded to his short game is hampered by his lack of speed but more so his one footedness, you literally know which way he will turn the moment he gets thr ball. Therevare many players i would say are superb passers, to put barry in there company,im afraid not

I would agree that he suffers from the same situation as the cleverly transfer, most critics probably knew cleverly was not utterly useless, but they could smell another martinez favourite, and after the moyes years that level of objectivety when it suits the manager, is massively frustrating. For example martinez clearly knows barkley will develop better in a deeper role but simply wont break up his chosen two.

As for barrys passing, i simply have to disagree, i find his long range passing far too straight most of the time, which makes it very hard for the striker, and as i alluded to his short game is hampered by his lack of speed but more so his one footedness, you literally know which way he will turn the moment he gets thr ball. Therevare many players i would say are superb passers, to put barry in there company,im afraid not

Well fair enough, like. I still think Barry's a great passer of the ball and a brilliant reader of the game. Alas he's old and slow, so that is blunted somewhat.

And ultimately I still remember Phil Neville's agonising last few years here, so Barry's age-based decline is absolutely nothing by comparison!

Well fair enough, like. I still think Barry's a great passer of the ball and a brilliant reader of the game. Alas he's old and slow, so that is blunted somewhat.

And ultimately I still remember Phil Neville's agonising last few years here, so Barry's age-based decline is absolutely nothing by comparison!
Good summary that....he 's poo tho....might scrape a last payday in the U.S.

This is what we can call Osman-Syndrome. Osman got a lot of stick for playing poorly the past two years especially when he was on the wings, deeper in the mid field where his defensive limitations were highlighted or played more than 30 minutes. However, once RM started to use him as a super sub to unlock packed defenses his actually quality was able to show through and the stick he got was toned down. As you are alluding too, a lot of the crap Barry gets (deserved and undeserved) would be eased up if Martinez used him in the correct matches rather than everyone or recognized when he is hurting the team and took him off.

This is what we can call Osman-Syndrome. Osman got a lot of stick for playing poorly the past two years especially when he was on the wings, deeper in the mid field or play more than 30 minutes. However, once RM started to use him as a super sub to unlock packed defenses his actually quality was able to show through and the stick he got was toned down. As you are alluding too, a lot of the crap Barry gets (deserved and undeserved) would be eased up if Martinez used him in the correct matches rather than everyone or recognized when he is hurting the team and took him off.

Absolutely agree, at his age he simply has to be rotated. Martinez just seems unflinching in his belief that Barry must always play, it baffles me.

I feel if he came on in the last 20-30 minutes to lock down a game people would have no problem with him. I feel that Martinez doesn't trust our other central midfielders in terms of game management

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back