• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

George Green

Status
Not open for further replies.

George explaining basic truths to one of the S'ton lads...

@George_Green10: 3-0 already get in the lads!!!@Everton

@sammcqueen123: @George_Green10 we're gonna win 4-3! Come on the boys!!

@George_Green10: @sammcqueen123 hahahahaha your funny man blue is better than red
Twitter...WUM heaven...

He has been a bit of a man excelling in a boys game. By that I mean he has a very impressive record and set of performances in youth football but that really hasn't translated as yet into reserve team football (or men's football). Martinez's comments about him last year indicate as much, that he has great ability to dominate a game amongst his peers but can he transfer those skills into being a functional member of a team whereby he isn't the star man.

I think this is what a lot of writers and journalists (also fans) can miss with young players. The skill set required to dominate an under 18's game is often different to that required to produce in men's football. Our very own Jose Baxter had this whereby he was a long away ahead of his peers but lacked the physicality to make the same sort of impact in the men's game.

I worry about Green going the same way. In his own age group he is a fantastic dribbler with a powerful shot, often beating 3 or 4 players with his added strength. However he was always a bit of a maverick and given a bit of a free role and didn't track back much. Obviously as defenders get quicker and stronger as men his advantages become nullified and he his lack of team play becomes a liability.

When I've seen him I have always felt he lacked blistering pace. Unfortunately there are very few Wayne Rooney's who are ready as teenagers to dominate games. As a young player you have to adapt and be able to fit into what the team needs. Browning is an excellent reverse of this, never particularly outstanding in his age group, but has the physicality to mean he is a viable option.

This loan has come at the right time for George. I have been quite harsh on him and he is a nice lad by all accounts. I think he needs a cold dose of reality though that can't come from the protective environment of academy or even reserve football. He probably needs a 30 year old pro grabbing him by the throat at full time to remind him he needs to track his runner. Or a volley of abuse from the crowd for trying to beat one too many men instead of crossing.

Tranmere are currently awful. Normally I'd be very wary of a loan to them at the current stage but I think given their predicament and the fact it's league 2 it will do Green the world of good. I know my analysis sounds harsh, but it's only harsh because it's plain to see he does have lots of ability. He needs to work out how to use it in men's football though and I think this will be really good for him. He will probably be the most technically gifted footballer Tranmere will have and there's a real opportunity to shine for him.

I saw his name in the squad to go America is he now not going or will he join Tranmere after. My concern is that no team higher up wanted Green which makes me suspect the club are loaning him out to help him find a club next year as they plan to release him.

I saw his name in the squad to go America is he now not going or will he join Tranmere after. My concern is that no team higher up wanted Green which makes me suspect the club are loaning him out to help him find a club next year as they plan to release him.
either that or we are loaning him to a team local to us which gives him some playing time away from the reserves/youth for a couple of months.

He might not be top of his class in his team but still may just be a helping tranmere out best we can thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back