• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

George Green

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting loan, I'd wager that Martinez is letting him experience League 2 to toughen him up and so that it motivates him to come back and work hard for the prize of getting to play in the premier league. Green's had a cushy few years at Goodison with excellent facilities. Martinez is letting him see how the rest live so to speak.

Wasnt he part of the side that won the U 18 Championship last season, if i remember correctly he was tearing it up in the final months of last season from a goal scoring perspective.

Martinez:

"I think George Green is at what I call stage one of the development. He needs to go through stage two and then just underneath the first team. I love George Green because he is a player that relies on his talent. We need to help him a little bit, because to get into the first team he needs to master a position. At the moment he is a player who will win you the game for the Under 18's but he is a bit of a free spirit. That's with the talent he has. So he's in stage one"

Wasnt he part of the side that won the U 18 Championship last season, if i remember correctly he was tearing it up in the final months of last season from a goal scoring perspective.

Martinez:

"I think George Green is at what I call stage one of the development. He needs to go through stage two and then just underneath the first team. I love George Green because he is a player that relies on his talent. We need to help him a little bit, because to get into the first team he needs to master a position. At the moment he is a player who will win you the game for the Under 18's but he is a bit of a free spirit. That's with the talent he has. So he's in stage one"

Martinez has also said Howard has had a phenomenal season.

You know when Martinez is lying, he opens his mouth.

I see Ashtonian is still convinced that these younger players are just not cut out to play. I know he has posted in the Odegaard thread. Heading off to find the Ryan Gauld thread. Who else do we have ?

Before i head off to the Gauld thread, im popping in Safari. Ashtonian is defo SteKelly.

Instead of all the posturing and arguing from both camps (pro-Green and the write off clan), why not merely wait and see how he performs.

If he performs well at Tranmere then it may benefit his development, and show that it's possible that he'll one day contribute to the senior squad.

If so fantastic... another Premiership quality player to come from the Everton academy. Still...

On the other hand, it may highlight the fact that he may not be up to the task. Again, if so it's unfortunate, but it's not the end of the world.

Either way, we'll only really be able to gauge it properly after his loan whether his original 'hype' was warranted. Right now it's just speculation.

The real problem here though is the often extremely high expectations we place on our academy lads: they're all expected to be world beaters!

Rooney certainly made it; Barkley could. However for everyone one who is a star, there is a raft of players who are mediocre at best. That's life.

Vaughan was the next super star - well it didn't really end up like that. Baxter was meant to be amazing... there just two names of many.

Green may make it and I sincerely hope he does, but the odds are against him. If he doesn't, then it shouldn't be an opportunity to spout criticism.

There's already talk of Galloway being our next centre half next season... how many people have actually watched him play? It's ridiculous.

Instead of all the posturing and arguing from both camps (pro-Green and the write off clan), why not merely wait and see how he performs.

If he performs well at Tranmere then it may benefit his development, and show that it's possible that he'll one day contribute to the senior squad.

If so fantastic... another Premiership quality player to come from the Everton academy. Still...

On the other hand, it may highlight the fact that he may not be up to the task. Again, if so it's unfortunate, but it's not the end of the world.

Either way, we'll only really be able to gauge it properly after his loan whether his original 'hype' was warranted. Right now it's just speculation.

The real problem here though is the often extremely high expectations we place on our academy lads: they're all expected to be world beaters!

Rooney certainly made it; Barkley could. However for everyone one who is a star, there is a raft of players who are mediocre at best. That's life.

Vaughan was the next super star - well it didn't really end up like that. Baxter was meant to be amazing... there just two names of many.

Green may make it and I sincerely hope he does, but the odds are against him. If he doesn't, then it shouldn't be an opportunity to spout criticism.

There's already talk of Galloway being our next centre half next season... how many people have actually watched him play? It's ridiculous.
'Could'? Barkley is playing in the richest league in the world. So he has made it already. The only question is how much further he can go.

Galloway, I think, signed for 3 years. One of them has gone.

He has said publicly that he thinks he is ready for first team footie. He has to be introduced next season or he will be off.

Browning who gave the useless Hibbert a lesson in aggression in the short time he played at Anfield is another who has to brought in.

'Could'? Barkley is playing in the richest league in the world. So he has made it already. The only question is how much further he can go.
The use of could was in reference to my aforementioned sentence where I stated that fans believe all our young players are 'world beaters'.

Maybe he has made it financially, as you mention it's the richest league, but he is still to prove to many that he will be one of the best.

I do not doubt at all that he'll make an impression upon and remain within the the Premier League, whereas others eventually dropped down.

Although, I still have concerns and doubts that he will be as fantastic (best in Europe?) as some suggest, based on large swathes of this season.

Barkley certainly has the potential to be a top player (and I hope he does), but turning potential into reality is not always guaranteed.

Maybe it stems back to your original comment: is just playing in Premiership the mark of success? Are the financial incentives too significant?

Back to the original topic though; unhealthy expectations of these lads is harmful. It's the same with Green as it is with Ross.

The use of could was in reference to my aforementioned sentence where I stated that fans believe all our young players are 'world beaters'.

Maybe he has made it financially, as you mention it's the richest league, but he is still to prove to many that he will be one of the best.

I do not doubt at all that he'll make an impression upon and remain within the the Premier League, whereas others eventually dropped down.

Although, I still have concerns and doubts that he will be as fantastic (best in Europe?) as some suggest, based on large swathes of this season.

Barkley certainly has the potential to be a top player (and I hope he does), but turning potential into reality is not always guaranteed.

Maybe it stems back to your original comment: is just playing in Premiership the mark of success? Are the financial incentives too significant?

Back to the original topic though; unhealthy expectations of these lads is harmful. It's the same with Green as it is with Ross.
I stand corrected. I'd agree with everything posted here and I sincerely hope Barkley does progress -- I am though beginning to doubt it. For all his faults to date, Barkley at least always used to give the impression that he knew what he was going to do with the ball. Can't say that now. I wonder how the hell our highly paid coaching staff have failed to develop the lad in recent years, correct his faults, improve his decision making etc. All they seem to have done is cloud his mind.

I see Ashtonian is still convinced that these younger players are just not cut out to play. I know he has posted in the Odegaard thread. Heading off to find the Ryan Gauld thread. Who else do we have ?

Before i head off to the Gauld thread, im popping in Safari. Ashtonian is defo SteKelly.
Then you would get stalked by the beast and your bones found as remains.

There is no way @Ashtonian is Ste Kelly sir. Absolutely no way.

Galloway, I think, signed for 3 years. One of them has gone.

He has said publicly that he thinks he is ready for first team footie. He has to be introduced next season or he will be off.

Browning who gave the useless Hibbert a lesson in aggression in the short time he played at Anfield is another who has to brought in.

Galloway signed on a five year deal and he's only 18. He'll probably go out on loan next year to the Championship and then, all things going well, start moving into the first team squad the year after that.

Can't say that now. I wonder how the hell our highly paid coaching staff have failed to develop the lad in recent years, correct his faults, improve his decision making etc. All they seem to have done is cloud his mind.
Who to blame (if there is actually someone to blame) is difficult, as I'm still unsure where the problem actually lies.

Some people will state that his knee-injury during pre-season and his earlier leg break have clearly affected his desire to get stuck in.

Ross very rarely tackles and is prone to backing out of challenges or fifty-fifty balls, which makes it easy for players to drift past him during play.

People compare him with Gazza due to his technical ability, but Gascgoine combined his skill with strength and guile. He was a dirty player!

He was just as able to tackle and challenge with a player as he was to skilfully drift past them with the ball. Ross misses this attribute.

Yet, I do not think you can attribute all of this simply to injuries. I do not like to use the word lethargic, but his work rate can be questionable.

How often this season has Ross simply drifted through games? You do not have to be the most physical player, but you need to work hard.

Sometimes I fear he may believe his own hype: that his ability enough will make him a superstar player thus his work ethic isn't what it is.

Decision making is a difficult one to measure. Experience is obviously a key aspect to this, although confidence can be a key factor.

People often talk about his mazy runs which are often ineffective, as Ross appears reluctant (or unwilling) to pass or shoot where required.

Personally, what concerns me most is his posture when collecting the ball: often with a back to goal, with closed shoulders and head down.

It's as if he is looking for the simple pass or that he is worried regarding what to do with the ball. The concerns are multi-faceted.

Now the coaches should certainly be helping him develop all the areas you mentions, but equally Ross has to help himself with many of them.

It may sound as if I am slating the lad with all the observations, but that's not my intention. In fact I am a big admirer of Ross.

I just worry that if he is to make it to the higher echelons then he has a lot to learn and develop, some which can't be quickly coached.

You have to want to win the ball... be willing to tackle... have the composure on the ball. If you do not have them, all the ability is useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back