Gerard Deulofeu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking ar Depay nosediving form i wonder how he would do on the left for us under Martinez.

Not sure how Depay would turn out but im hard pushed to think of a Right Winger better than Deulofeu in the league right now or of a similar age in Europe.

Same could be said for Stones, Barkley and Lukaku etc etc....we just need to keep adding to this group.

As others have said, he reminds me of a Ronaldo type and we should see big things from him now and in the future...especially pleasing is how we signed him and his attitude since returning.

One of the most exciting players we have had in decades.

It was interesting listening to Norcroft on Toffee Tv earlier this week. He said he had Greame Hunter (well connected at Barca) and they always felt Deulofeu was a natural replacement for Ronaldhino. That may shock most of us because we associate his skills being his pace, dribbling ability, crossing and finishing skills as his main attributes. However it was said his ability to thread balls through was the thing that stood out above them.

We are only just seeing that skill now, but there is every chance Deulofeu could become our much fabled number 10. I think he has everything in his game to be devastating if he moved inside. His finishing needs a bit of work but he does try to pass the ball in which is always a good sign. I'd like to see him put his boot through the ball ah la Arsenal away a couple of years ago. If you consider from a central position the amount of opportunities he'd get to get into the box and match that with his shot power, it is a deadly combination.

At the start of the season I said this lad was better than Depay and I lot laughed. I stand by that assertion. He has exceptional ability and would terrify defences if played centrally. When you consider what some of his peers cost, Markovic, Sterling, Martial, Depay I really don't think Deulofeu's name looks out of place on that list. You could easily make a case for him to be the best player on the above list. Like all of them he is not the finished article but has a lot going for him. I think he is a better finisher than Sterling. A better dribbler than Martial and a better crosser than Markovic.

I think it shows we have essentially added a 30 million type player for 4 million in the summer. All of the above were purchased for between 20-50 million (Markovic 20 million a year ago when prices have continued to rise). It gives some context to how well we have bought. Despite not spending huge amounts of money to say we've added Deulofeu, Mori, Cleverley and Lennon to our squad for less than 20 million is brilliant business.

For the Spanish U21s he usually to play right wing and as their captain you'd assume he gets to play in his preferred position for them - what makes you think he should play central at this point in his career?

He seems naturally happy to stay out wide, certainly compared to say Mirallas or Naismith, he appears to really enjoys burning his marker for pace and the defensive duties as a winger are often slightly less than playing centrally.

He can get his head up and play absolutely inch perfect beautifully weighted through balls the like of which no-one else in our squad has produced in years is the main reason

He's not using his pace because he's not being a headless chicken now. Raheem Sterling is the knock and run merchant; Deulofeu is developing into a class well beyond that.

I think you're understating Sterling's ability there. Two very different players, and I've actually enjoyed Sterling and Silva's partnership from what little of it I have seen this season. Think they are a very dangerous combo.

I think you're understating Sterling's ability there. Two very different players, and I've actually enjoyed Sterling and Silva's partnership from what little of it I have seen this season. Think they are a very dangerous combo.

Sterling will always be dangerous because of his pace, so he'll stretch games. When you have a little magician like Silva, doubly so, as he'll spot the runs in behind and he's away.

I think Deulofeu could/should go on to be the much better overall footballer. I actually think he is now.

He can get his head up and play absolutely inch perfect beautifully weighted through balls the like of which no-one else in our squad has produced in years is the main reason
He does, as we've seen though he can sometimes drift in and play a central role from his current position, especially if we are on the break.

At this point in his career think he's best staying out where he seems happiest and we continue to look for a player whose natural game is those through balls from a central position - would be superb if we had a couple of sources of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back