Getting old

So let’s recap: hairy ears, elongated scrotums, bigger ears and nose, having to use apps to read labels, hot flushes, making loud noises when getting up off the couch and smelly dad poos.
Does anyone want to provide some negatives to all this to balance it out?
Retirement, couldn't give a fiz about politicians, the Oireachtas (Irish Upper and Lower Houses) press queries, pressure groups demanding meetings.

Oh how I miss them ? ? ? ?

I sometimes think like this but then think id rather of been a teenager when i was, seeing Everton win the league and lots of great bands like the Ramones, then be young and a teenager now with rubbish music and a crap team. Being old means you had a chance to witness good things.
Atleast the Tories are still in charge.

I was a barman in my college days. Knowing what crawled over crates of bottled beer in the store I would never drink from the bottle...
Unless I could thoroughly clean it first.
It's not just that it's the gas in the beer as you drink it out of the bottle - us oldies like to pour it in a glass , analyse the head in the glass on the beer - then sip it savouring it like a glass of wine lol

Had a chat with my older brother last night who is 74 years old about this thread on the GOT .....

He related to me when the old local social clubs & beerwas affordable before the breathalyser- he took turns as doorman at our local social club on the door -at the end of a busy night he was on the door making sure everything was ok ....

When he looked out the had been a hoar frost thick white ice on all the cars good style (de ice spray in those days a rarity) this guy came out got angry crap someone has boxed my car in it was a small car park - he scraped a small square of his windscreen off - asked my brother hey mate can you guide me out - my brother had just lit a cigarette up - this other older guy who was leaving well inebriated who knew my brother - stay there I will help him out ......

After a tight squeeze & a load of shouting - my brother heard glass breaking & and a loud bump .....l

The driver got out of the car park & roared up the road .....my brothers older mate shouted OK to my brother you never seen that - waliking back towards him wanting the toilet ...
Ok my brother said no problem ....

As he came out - my brother enquirer who's car got bashed anyway -not bothered the guy said .....

Then my brother heard a great big moan oh my god it my car he's hit I reversed him into my own ruddy car - headlights gone bumper smashed did you get his reg number .....

No I looked the other way as you asked my brother burst out with laughter ....

That's getting old lollol

Last edited:

Blimey. I was in that production of Oliver ffs! And remember the teachers very well. If the name David Rhys Jones rings a faint bell, he also commentated on bowls on the TV. He played with David Bryant (?) for years.

I was 10 or 11.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back