Goats squad analysis thread 2017/18

Status
Not open for further replies.
To expand on the above, take the midfield area.

Tom Davies, is he an attacker or a midfielder? Is he a number 6 or a number 8? I would call him a number 8, but defo a midfielder.

Then take Barkley, he has played mostly as a number 10/ACM, but if he stays, I suspect he will be expected to play as a number 8 in midfield and maybe as a "wingforward" at times.

Klassen, is he more Davies or is he Barkley? Is he a midfielder or an attacker?

Hence me sticking all the players I consider a midfielder in the midfield section, for now.

Surely Barkley is on the right of a front 3?

GK
Jordan Pickford*
Joel Robles
Maarten Stekelenburg

RB
Séamus Coleman [+]
Jonjoe Kenny

LB
Leighton Baines*

CB
Ashley Williams*

Phil Jagielka*
Ramiro Funes Mori
Brendan Galloway
Mason Holgate

DM/CM
Morgan Schneiderlin
Muhamed Bešić
Idrissa Gueye
Tom Davies
Gareth Barry*
James McCarthy*

ACM
Ross Barkley*

Davy Klaassen

Wingers

Ademola Lookman
Yannick Bolasie [+]
Kevin Mirallas

Strikers
Dominic Calvert-Lewin
Romelu Lukaku*

Well the window is open and it seems the best time to have a look at which areas we need to improve.

The GK area has been dealt with, hard to say if Robles and Stek will both stay at this point, but I think we can all agree that numbers wise and probably quality wise its probably all ok.

RB is a possible point of concern, Coleman is a long term injury and Kenny is a bit of a "gamble", we could probably do with a cheapish player here, just as cover, somebody with Premiership experience ideally, answers on a Cucu Martinacard.

LB is also a minor concern, Baines isnt getting any younger and might find the stress of Thursday/Sunday a little straining, I keep forgetting that Luke Garbutt is even a thing, will he be considered? Will Galloway? Hard to say here, ideally we need somebody else, unless the 2 players mentioned can do a job? Watch this space.

CB, we could do with another CB for sure, of course the boy Keane is likely to come in, do we need another 1? We would have 6 if Keane is bought, but question marks must be over Jags age wise and I suppose Galloway and Holgate also age wise, but of course the other way round, there is of course Pennington and Browning who I havent named in the above squad. Again I suppose its something to look at over the next 2 months.

DM/CM/AM, we have enough numbers wise here, but there is possible injury concerns over Besic and McCarthy, age concerns with Barry, again somebody else that would really struggle with the thurs/sun games, we might consider shifting a body out here and bringing in somebody else, but its probably the 1 area outfield where we are pretty stacked.

Wingers, Yala is blates goosed leaving us with only Lookman and Mirallas, Sandro is likely to come in and I know hes a "striker", but will be putting him in the winger section for now, lets see how it goes, Sandro aside I think we probably need AT LEAST another wide player, possibly 2 ideally, defo 2 "attackers", whether its 2 SS 2 wingers or a mixture.

Strikers, the spectre of Lukaku hangs over the club like a smelly rat exposed in the sun, Lukaku aside, we need currently 1 Striker, if Lukaku is to be moved on then we DEFO need 2 Strikers IMO.

Conclusion :

GK (tick)
RB (1)
LB(1)
CB(1)
DM/CM/AM(tick)
Wingers (2)
Strikers (2)

So I conclude we need between 5-8 new players, depending on sales, not including purchased from this date forth.

Last edited:
GK
Jordan Pickford*
Joel Robles
Maarten Stekelenburg

RB
Séamus Coleman [+]
Jonjoe Kenny

LB
Leighton Baines*

CB
Ashley Williams*

Phil Jagielka*
Ramiro Funes Mori
Brendan Galloway
Mason Holgate

DM/CM
Morgan Schneiderlin
Muhamed Bešić
Idrissa Gueye
Tom Davies
Gareth Barry*
James McCarthy*

ACM
Ross Barkley*

Davy Klaassen

Wingers

Ademola Lookman
Yannick Bolasie [+]
Kevin Mirallas

Strikers
Dominic Calvert-Lewin
Romelu Lukaku*

Well the window is open and it seems the best time to have a look at which areas we need to improve.

The GK area has been dealt with, hard to say if Robles and Stek will both stay at this point, but I think we can all agree that numbers wise and probably quality wise its probably all ok.

RB is a possible point of concern, Coleman is a long term injury and Kenny is a bit of a "gamble", we could probably do with a cheapish player here, just as cover, somebody with Premiership experience ideally, answers on a Cucu Martinacard.

LB is also a minor concern, Baines isnt getting any younger and might find the stress of Thursday/Sunday a little straining, I keep forgetting that Luke Garbutt is even a thing, will he be considered? Will Galloway? Hard to say here, ideally we need somebody else, unless the 2 players mentioned can do a job? Watch this space.

CB, we could do with another CB for sure, of course the boy Keane is likely to come in, do we need another 1? We would have 6 if Keane is bought, but question marks must be over Jags age wise and I suppose Galloway and Holgate also age wise, but of course the other way round, there is of course Pennington and Browning who I havent named in the above squad. Again I suppose its something to look at over the next 2 months.

DM/CM/AM, we have enough numbers wise here, but there is possible injury concerns over Besic and McCarthy, age concerns with Barry, again somebody else that would really struggle with the thurs/sun games, we might consider shifting a body out here and bringing in somebody else, but its probably the 1 area outfield where we are pretty stacked.

Wingers, Yala is blates goosed leaving us with only Lookman and Mirallas, Sandro is likely to come in and I know hes a "striker", but will be putting him in the winger section for now, lets see how it goes, Sandro aside I think we probably need AT LEAST another wide player, possibly 2 ideally, defo 2 "attackers", whether its 2 SS 2 wingers or a mixture.

Strikers, the spectre of Lukaku hangs over the club like a smelly rat exposed in the sun, Lukaku aside, we need currently 1 Striker, if Lukaku is to be moved on then we DEFO need 2 Strikers IMO.

Conclusion :

GK (tick)
RB (1)
LB(1)
CB(1)
DM/CM/AM(tick)
Wingers (2)
Strikers (2)

So I conclude we need between 5-8 new players, depending on sales, not including purchased from this date forth.
Pretty much agree with that list but what would you put in order of priority?

I'd say striker (especially if Rom goes), winger, CB, 2nd winger/striker, LB with RB a distant last place.

Btw are you assuming that Ross stays?

GK
Jordan Pickford*
Joel Robles
Maarten Stekelenburg

RB
Séamus Coleman [+]
Jonjoe Kenny

LB
Leighton Baines*

CB
Ashley Williams*

Phil Jagielka*
Ramiro Funes Mori
Brendan Galloway
Mason Holgate

DM/CM
Morgan Schneiderlin
Muhamed Bešić
Idrissa Gueye
Tom Davies
Gareth Barry*
James McCarthy*

ACM
Ross Barkley*

Davy Klaassen

Wingers

Ademola Lookman
Yannick Bolasie [+]
Kevin Mirallas

Strikers
Dominic Calvert-Lewin
Romelu Lukaku*

Conclusion :

GK (tick)
RB (1)
LB(1)
CB(1)
DM/CM/AM(tick)
Wingers (2)
Strikers (2)

Any of the Ute's to plug and place?

That scene and the owl scene kill me.

It seems like we've actually got a bit of a bumper crop of younguns with a real chance.
All of those who played for England between the 2 tournaments have a shot plus Galloway and Davies. Some of them will come good no doubt

Pretty much agree with that list but what would you put in order of priority?

I'd say striker (especially if Rom goes), winger, CB, 2nd winger/striker, LB with RB a distant last place.

Btw are you assuming that Ross stays?

Im currently assuming Ross is staying, as well as the signings I think we should make, we should operate a 1 out 1 in policy with regards every player currently in the squad thats sold, Lukaku aside, I feel he would probably be a 2 player replacement.

Priority, again assuming Ross stays and Rom goes, plus Sandro and Keane, would most def be Striking options, in the form of CF, SS, WF and any other funky players that either put the ball in the net or help others.

So yes, I pretty much agree with your list.

Big fan of the [+] for injured

Can you put a "100" next to Lukaku?

Came to me last night that [+], I was quite pleased with it myself tbh, thanks for noticing it.

Next update I will think of something to stick next to Ratukus name.

Any of the Ute's to plug and place?

Hopefully, the boy Kenny was added on request, im hoping hes given a chance as are hopefully a few others just on the outside of the "squad", its going to be quite hard to gauge, few of the young uns are away after England, plus we have the Europa game in a few weeks, so its going to be very hard to see who from the yoot is going to make a push, should certainly become clearer by the time the window SLAMS SHUT and the squad is finalised.

if we add the probable/possible signings to what we have atm (this is a with rom staying scenario), our squad has massive depth. I know players will leave but still, i just want to show how good our squad depth really is, that we could have a 3rd's team that could quite possibly be competitors in the prem/higher end championship.

Like said, certain players will leave ala deulofeu (who would just be replaced by onyekuru below), but i can't see many more than him going this summer. Even if we do sell rom, we will probably actually buy a player more than those bolded below. Baring in mind through sales others like walsh, williams, dowell, garbutt or connolly who have had a good success in the youth team would then be able to step up as well, it is a bit exciting, and why i can't stress enough how strongly i disagree with people who say we don't have a squad that compares with the top 6. I couldn't even name a liverpool 2nd team, nevermind a 3rd team complete with premier league experience.

1st Team

Pickford
Coleman Keane New CB Baines
Gueye Snides Klaassen
Sandro Siggrdsson
Lukaku

2nd Team
Robles
Martina Williams Jagielka New LB
Mirallas Davies Barry Bolasie
Barkley
2nd Striker

3rd Team

Stekelenburg
Kenny Holgate Mori Galloway
Lennon McCarthy Besic Lookman
Deulofeu
Calvert-Lewin

Wingers, Yala is blates goosed leaving us with only Lookman and Mirallas, Sandro is likely to come in and I know hes a "striker", but will be putting him in the winger section for now, lets see how it goes, Sandro aside I think we probably need AT LEAST another wide player, possibly 2 ideally, defo 2 "attackers", whether its 2 SS 2 wingers or a mixture

to be honest, i don't think wingers will feature too much this season, so i wouldn't be surprised if we didn't buy another one. We do have 5/6 very good wing options on paper, but sadly ones crocked, one's going back to barca, one is homesick, one is unavailable for selection and the other has been sent back to belgium on loan before we can even see him.

You'd think with splashing £20m on two young wingers though that maybe in the next couple of seasons we'll be changing system to make them more focal, but for this season at least i think it'll be inside forwards and bombing full backs. We'll surely get a new left back, even if he doesn't start straight away?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back