Goats squad analysis thread 2017/18

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally think Gylfi is best as a 10; however, I believe he will play on the left as Ronny fancies Rooney as his 10.

With this in mind who plays on the right?
1. Bolasie (Injured)
2. Sandro (Best up top or on the left)
3. Mirallas (Has he played well on the right?)
4. Lennon (I don't rate him)
5. Lookman (best from the left)
6. DCL (puts in a shift; could work out, but better up top)

You know he hasn't started or played Rooney once as a number 10 in the opening 3 games yet?

so whilst everyone's fuming, we're going to have to get by for four months only with the current striking options. It can still be sorted then, and isn't set in stone for the full season. We're going to possibly struggle for goals, but we still have a great team and squad which will beat most in this league and be hard to beat in the others.

We definitely have more creativity compared to last season and when they gel a bit better i think we'll still create changes. Basically have to have Rooney, sandro and DCL rotating in that striker position instead of having two of them playing at once all the time.

If we look at the options behind them, when fully fit, we can have Siggurdsson, Klaassen, Davies, Bolasie, Mirallas, Barkley (heaven forbid), Lookman, Vlasic and Lennon to share the two or 3 positions behind the striker.

It's still very strong and definitely not lacking in quantity.

Just need to look positively at things, we've shown so far that we're solid at the back and won't be conceding many, unless we get more bad luck and even more players get injured.

GK
Jordan Pickford* GOOD
Joel Robles TOSH
Maarten Stekelenburg TOSH

RB
Séamus Coleman [+] CROCKED
Cuco Martina BEYOND TOSH

LB
Leighton Baines*PAST IT

CB
Michael Keane* DECENT
Ashley Williams* TOSH
Phil Jagielka* PAST IT
Mason Holgate TOSH
Ramiro Funes Mori [+] CROCKED AND TOSH

DM/CM/ACM
Morgan Schneiderlin* GOOD BUT OUT OF FORM
Muhamed Bešić TOSH
Idrissa Gueye GOOD
Tom Davies GOOD
James McCarthy* WHO?
Ross Barkley*[+] CROCKED

Davy Klaassen TOSH
Gylfi Þór Sigurðsson* TOSH SO FAR

Wingers
Yannick Bolasie [+] CROCKED

Ademola Lookman NOT READY YET
Aaron Lennon* DECENT
Kevin Mirallas TOSH
Nikola Vlašić ???

Strikers
Dominic Calvert-Lewin NOT READY YET
Sandro Ramírez NOT READY YET
Wayne Rooney* PAST IT
Oumar Niasse BEYOND TOSH

LOL

Not good is it?

We may also have the worst 2 players in the league

Martina is getting a lot of flack but he's inexperienced in the prem and is really exposed defensively because we're playing every game without a right midfielder. The space he was expected to cover against Spurs was bonkers. Not saying he's a world-beater, or even a good player for that matter, but Spurs benefiting from all the space on our right hand side was a midfield problem as well as a defence problem.

Martina is getting a lot of flack but he's inexperienced in the prem and is really exposed defensively because we're playing every game without a right midfielder. The space he was expected to cover against Spurs was bonkers. Not saying he's a world-beater, or even a good player for that matter, but Spurs benefiting from all the space on our right hand side was a midfield problem as well as a defence problem.
Holgate had that week in week out!

I'm obviously not a pro coach but in my head a way we could make it work maybe, going with what we have is something like this

GK- Pickford
RB - Kenny
CB - Keane
CB - Holgate
LB - Baines
RM - Rooney (Kenny will give us width & pace Rooney will give him cover and can cut inside on the attack. Also the only reason I'd shoehorn Rooney in here is because Mirallas doesn't play well on the right and Vlasic is a number 10 apparently )
CM - Gueye
CM - Schniederlin (on form) but at present Davies
LM - Lookman (for width and pace, Baines can cut in abit more and doesn't need to bomb forward as much)

And I'd either go Sigurdsson at Number 10 and Mirallas or DCL up top or Mirallas and DCL both playing CF in a 442.

Right I'm off to play footie manager lol

Point is we need to change something that suits the players

It's almost like Ronnie plays the Everton Best XI vs the Everton Worst XI in training and thinks his tactics are working

In all seriousness I was thinking about this the other day.

What's the point in our attack training against our defence? And vice versa.

They won't improve as they're both crap.

In all seriousness I was thinking about this the other day.

What's the point in our attack training against our defence? And vice versa.

They won't improve as they're both crap.

Maybe you've already seen/heard this, but Alexi Lalas was doing the Fox commentary yesterday and spoke of Rooney, "He's the only one who has stood out in the first half... and that's not good... [he looks] like a first team player getting match time with the U23s... "

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back