Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Goats squad analysis thread 2018/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
I try and steer away from speculation as much as possible in this thread.

I see a role for him currently, either as a 6 in :

DM - Gana
CM
Or at a push as an 8 in :

DM
Gana - CM
Will certainly be interesting to see how it all unfolds.

Reckon he ideally wants one player to do it himself personally.

Willy C
Iceland Maddison

Carvalho
Gueye Sigurdsson​

that’s our midfield next season imo

Gana cant play as a sole DM so we'd need to play 2 DMs with him in the side.

Gueye is rubbish in that position though.

Yes, he's never a box to box player.

So keeping Gana in the first 11 means 2 DMs.

I was hopeful of Dowell getting minutes this year but I don’t think 4-3-3 will suit him. He doesn’t have the searing pace needed to be one of the wingers and his best chance may be as rotation to Siggurdsson as one of the number 8s maybe.

Strange, I think 4-3-3 will suit him better in fact! If you think of David Silva in Man City’s identical formation; he plays as one of the two CM’s and is hardly blessed with pace.

You could use Sigurdsson as the “De Bruyne” in that situation and Dowell as the David Silva. Obviously much lower in quality than both but the premise and idea remains.

Using just the players we have at the moment:

GK: Pickford
RB: Coleman
LB: Baines
CB: Holgate
CB: Jagielka
DM: Schneiderlin
CM: Sigurdsson
CM: Dowell
RW: Walcott
LW: Lookman
ST: Tosun

In some games we’ll want added protection for the defence which will call for 2 holding midfielders - for example some away games or games against teams we’re likely to struggle to win possession against. For anyone suggesting Gueye won’t fit I think he’ll still have a big part to play.

Formation or system and tactic are not the same thing. Formation is like foundation. Tactic is more resilent. lol

In some games we’ll want added protection for the defence which will call for 2 holding midfielders - for example some away games or games against teams we’re likely to struggle to win possession against. For anyone suggesting Gueye won’t fit I think he’ll still have a big part to play.

Totally agree. He’ll be perfect as a second holding midfielder in a 4-2-3-1.

I think the opinions are centred around Silva’s comments regarding his preferred formation; namely 4-3-3.

However, as you say, there’ll be times when we need added protection and Gana definitely provides that.

I’m just happy that it seems as though we have a plan going forward and might even have our playing identity to go with it!

Totally agree. He’ll be perfect as a second holding midfielder in a 4-2-3-1.

I think the opinions are centred around Silva’s comments regarding his preferred formation; namely 4-3-3.

However, as you say, there’ll be times when we need added protection and Gana definitely provides that.

I’m just happy that it seems as though we have a plan going forward and might even have our playing identity to go with it!

I just hope we stick to the 3 attackers and play them that way for the vast majority of games like Liverpool and city do. I don’t want to see 4-3-3 become 4-5-1.

Walcott and lookman and hopefully someone like Lozano would be perfect for wide attacking roles. Less so if they’re being asked to defend all game.

Gueye is rubbish in that position though.

Yeah I wonder if his place is under threat to be honest... I cant see him being pushed forward he just doesn't have the tools to do that role, passing and shooting just not good enough.

Wonder if a shock sale is on the cards....

I was hopeful of Dowell getting minutes this year but I don’t think 4-3-3 will suit him. He doesn’t have the searing pace needed to be one of the wingers and his best chance may be as rotation to Siggurdsson as one of the number 8s maybe.
Doesn't he usually play on the right for England? A 4-3-3 where he is the right sided forward and given freedom to roam inside might work for him, especially if he doesn't need to do as much defensive work as he did for Forest.

Doesn't he usually play on the right for England? A 4-3-3 where he is the right sided forward and given freedom to roam inside might work for him, especially if he doesn't need to do as much defensive work as he did for Forest.
Does he have the pace for the counter attacking plan that Silva seems to adopt?

He would have to track back though given Silva’s confirmation that he wants a high press.

I do hope he finds a place in the team but I don’t think it will be out wide.

Pickford
Coleman Holgate Mori(NewCB) NewLB
NewCDM Klaassen Sigurdsson
Walcott Tosun Lookman

Steklenburg
Kenny Keane NewCB(Mori) Baines
Gana Davies Vlasic
Dowell Niasse DCL

Others: New winger, Beningime, Robinson, Bolasie (if we are forced to keep), and whomever I missed, Martina (can see this happening)

Relevant outs: Rooney, Schneiderlin, Sandro, Mccarthy (eh), Bolasie (eh), Mirallas, Williams

Using just the players we have at the moment:

GK: Pickford
RB: Coleman
LB: Baines
CB: Holgate
CB: Jagielka
DM: Schneiderlin
CM: Sigurdsson
CM: Dowell
RW: Walcott
LW: Lookman
ST: Tosun
Completely agree with this 100% ! Many will think you crazy with Schneids but when he was in form he was amazing. Was a next level player... I'm willing to see what he can do under new management!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back