Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Goats squad analysis thread 2018/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because it fits directly here and stops me from thinking more about it here is what I posted a few days ago on another thread:
"We HAVE to put the stall out on 2 - 3 players. Striker and a LB. We might not like it but we dont need another CB. Holgate, Keane and Jags can do a job. We have to go with the galactico method and buy less but far better players. A full team overhaul gets you nowhere. Put 10 on the back of Gylfi and let him pull the strings. The right side is sorted. If I put players in for next year that can challenge top 6 I would have:
Pickford
Coleman Holgate Keane ???
Walcott Gueye ??? ???
Gylfi ?????

balance of squad to be subs Vlasic Davies Rooney Lookman Dowell Tosun Baines Jags

For the record Vlasic is the closest of that bunch to making my 11, but should be getting a lot more game time.
I know the CB pairing can be criticized but organised they can a do a job. Our issue is a stunning lack of creating opportunities and the ability to pass the ball to a player at pace.

So for me we need 4 players as critical. I think that too many for one summer to buy of the quality required and have them gel? So slot in Vlasic as the Left Winger. Spend what ever we have on a Striker, the Central playmaker and then the LB. Every player must have pace. No more cart horses!
to be honest I think Sneiderlin has a higher ceiling than Gueye but has disappointed so doesn't deserve the spot."

I truly think we should live with the defence we have EXCEPT left side. Unless Jonjoe can do it or Antonee is ready.
If we head into a new season with a CB pairing of jagielka and the tin man we might aswell give up before we've started

Because it fits directly here and stops me from thinking more about it here is what I posted a few days ago on another thread:
"We HAVE to put the stall out on 2 - 3 players. Striker and a LB. We might not like it but we dont need another CB. Holgate, Keane and Jags can do a job. We have to go with the galactico method and buy less but far better players. A full team overhaul gets you nowhere. Put 10 on the back of Gylfi and let him pull the strings. The right side is sorted. If I put players in for next year that can challenge top 6 I would have:
Pickford
Coleman Holgate Keane ???
Walcott Gueye ??? ???
Gylfi ?????

balance of squad to be subs Vlasic Davies Rooney Lookman Dowell Tosun Baines Jags

For the record Vlasic is the closest of that bunch to making my 11, but should be getting a lot more game time.
I know the CB pairing can be criticized but organised they can a do a job. Our issue is a stunning lack of creating opportunities and the ability to pass the ball to a player at pace.

So for me we need 4 players as critical. I think that too many for one summer to buy of the quality required and have them gel? So slot in Vlasic as the Left Winger. Spend what ever we have on a Striker, the Central playmaker and then the LB. Every player must have pace. No more cart horses!
to be honest I think Sneiderlin has a higher ceiling than Gueye but has disappointed so doesn't deserve the spot."

I truly think we should live with the defence we have EXCEPT left side. Unless Jonjoe can do it or Antonee is ready.
Mate we were shipping goals like they were going out of style this season - literally setting records. We've steadied the ship somewhat in that department under Allardyce but you cannot say we don't need another CB. I think you're right that getting one proper quality player in is worth five OK players, but no variation of Holgate, Keane, or Jags can be said to do a job so action is needed.

Keane the most disappointing signing of them all in some ways, as it made total sense. Guy who looked solid at minimum and could even be very good, turns out horrific and he'll be lucky to be on the premises next season.

Being optimistic I remember Keown looking really bad when he first started for us, like properly mediocre. Went on to rule the defence. I think there's next to no chance of Keane doing similar but I guess stranger things have happened.

Things like HG arent a major factor, currently, but if we start shipping players, it may be something I look into.

At last count we had about 12.

I know young players don't count because they aren't registered (or something), but could you register them to count for HG status if needed? Asking for a friend.

GK -- Pickford / ???
RB -- Coleman / Kenny
RCB -- Holgate / ???
LCB -- ??? / Jagielka
LB -- ??? / Baines
DM -- Gana / Baningime
CM -- ??? / Davies
AM -- Sigurdsson / Vlasic
LF -- Walcott / Lookman
CF -- ??? / Tosun / DCL
RF -- ??? / Dowell

7 players needed. AM/LF/RF all interchangeable.

Will probably keep Stek as backup + Keane also so 5 players only needed as 1st choices.

I know young players don't count because they aren't registered (or something), but could you register them to count for HG status if needed? Asking for a friend.

Dont think players under the age of 21/22 can be added to the squad, as such, not the main squad, they are all added under a different list.

..not sure how to analyse players when we don’t know the style of play or system a new manager/DoF will want to play. My view is that we only have 5 players who could effectively fit most systems and get regular game time through change:

Pickford; Coleman; Gueye; Walcott; Sigurdsson.

Manager : Marco Silva

GK
Jordan Pickford

Joel Robles
Maarten Stekelenburg

RB
Séamus Coleman
Jonjoe Kenny
Cuco Martina
Callum Connolly

LB

Leighton Baines
Antonee Robinson
Brendan Galloway
Luke Garbutt

CB
Michael Keane

Phil Jagielka
Ashley Williams
Ramiro Funes Mori
Mason Holgate
Matthew Pennington
Tyias Browning

DM/CM/AM
Muhamed Bešić
Morgan Schneiderlin
Wayne Rooney
James McCarthy
Idrissa Gueye
Gylfi Sigurðsson
Davy Klaassen
Tom Davies
Beni Baningime
Kieran Dowell

Widers

Yannick Bolasie
Theo Walcott
Nikola Vlašić
Kevin Mirallas
Ademola Lookman

Strikers
Cenk Tosun
Oumar Niasse
Sandro Ramírez
Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Added Silva.

And wanted to take a little look at things now that Marco has stated the following :

New boss Marco Silva will set Everton up in a 4-3-3 formation.
“Depending the profile of my No6, I can play one and two or I can play two and one behind the striker depending on the profile of our No6,"

Now in the interview he name checked Morgan as 1 player who could play the number 6 on his own, but theres quite a few stories suggesting Morgan might be looking to move on. But looking at the squad, the following players, IMO, could play number 6 on their own Morgan, Gana, Beni(POSSIBLY), McCarthy(POSSIBLY), now Beni is very young and would be a LOT to ask of somebody so young, as I said Morgan is possibly looking to get away and of course Jamo has a pretty nasty injury to overcome. So that might ONLY leave Gana, currently, something to keep an eye on.

Regarding the 2 number 8s needed, currently we have Davies, Besic, Iceland, Klaassen and at a push Dowell possibly.

Davies and Iceland I would be ok with, but not totally optimal, the others in an ideal world we would probably need a little extra.

All in all a very interesting summer, not only will some players have to adapt to a new manager, but a new style, new system and new tactics.

Learn the basic ideas of the 4-3-3 Soccer Formation

This attacking formation has been used by national sides of Brazil (62), and more recently Portugal and Holland. Amongst the more notorious of coaches it has been effectively deployed by Jose Mourinho, Zdenek Zeman and Jesualdo Ferreira and Ajax, Rosenborg and Chelsea are included in the many club sides that have used this system of play. So what is it, how is it normally used, what benefits does it have, and what are its draw backs?

4 3 3 Set Up
4 – 3 – 3 is normally set up in the following line up: Goalkeeper, Right back, 2 Centre backs, Left back, 3 Central midfielders (one holding), 3 Attackers including a Right and Left wing and a central striker.

4-3-3.png
This formation favors teams boasting a good central defensive midfielder who is able to hold their position, disrupt the oppositions attack and maintain possession offering support in front of the defensive line and support behind the two other central midfielders and attackers. The defensive central midfielder should be able to read the phases of play effectively and have good awareness of passing options and they must be disciplined in maintaining and organizing shape, balance and depth to their team.

Wingers in the 4-3-3
Teams that use the 4 – 3 – 3 formation typically have 2 lively wingers who provide width in attack and defensive support when not in possession. The 2 wingers should like to run with the ball and like to dribble but in addition should they be comfortable dropping back to support the defensive line when needed. The wing position in this formation can be a physically demanding role and also demands a high quality end product so its effectiveness can be limited by the personnel a coach has available.

Central Striker in the 4-3-3
The central striker can play several roles in this system depending on their strengths as an individual and the tactics and weaknesses of the opposition back line. Some use the striker as ‘touch the net’ player who will create depth to the side making their runs between the 2 centre backs and keeping these 2 players occupied. This creates space for the 2 wingers to attack the full backs in 1 on 1 situations. Using this ‘touch the net’ run creates an immediate outlet when possession is regained and suits a strong robust striker.

One potential drawback with the 3 attackers
One potential drawback with the 3 attackers occurs when the ball is switched to the wide players and the central player can become isolated in and around the penalty area when the cross is delivered. In this scenario it is imperative that the opposite winger joins the central striker in the danger areas as does at least 1 of the two attacking midfielders, whilst the other attacking central midfielder will look for pull backs and knock downs a little deeper than the attacking runs which are higher up into the penalty area.

What if the opposition holds their defensive line high up
If the opposition back four hold their defensive line high up the pitch and do not allow the central striker to create depth then a combination of the striker coming short to draw a centre back further up field, the two wingers keeping wide to stretch the back line and forward runs form the 2 attacking midfielders beyond the defensive line can be used to open the defense. If in this scenario the centre back does not follow the striker then the striker can turn on the ball and play through to either attacking centre midfielder or behind the full backs for the wingers to attack. Due to the numbers of players who can become involved in the attacking third this system of play can become a very attacking formation.

The Back Four
The back four essentially play a traditional role when not in possession denying space and pressurizing in key areas but with the defensive central midfielder on hand to help with 2nd balls and compacting the oppositions midfield play. For more information on defensive shape and organization please refer to the forthcoming articles on defensive principles. When in possession and the ball has switched wide to winger the opposite full back should push forward to fill the space left by his own winger who will make attacking runs inside to support the central striker. As this occurs the defense will slide across to maintain balance and shape.

Key to a successful 4-3-3 formation
When not in possession the 4 – 3 – 3 formation almost becomes a 4 – 5 – 1 system as the 2 wingers should ‘sag’ back in to the middle third to compact the opposition’s midfielders. If the opposition is playing a 4 – 4 – 2 system there is also opportunity to press for the ball higher up the pitch in the attacking third. This can force the opposition to play more directly through to their forwards and allow more chances to regain possession. The key to a successful 4 – 3 – 3 formation occurs in the moment of transition in play between the opponents possession and regaining the ball. Immediately possession is gained the team must be prepared to create width, depth and support at pace and can sometimes be seen as a counter attacking tactic against strong teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back