Goats squad analysis thread 2023/24

Anyone wanting to keep more players would need to explain why?

We dont need a squad of 25. A squad of 20 would be enough.

In fact its better to have a smaller squad with Dyche. Forces him to play certain players and not his favourites.

Less numbers / higher quality.

£70mil for these 4:
× LB/CB
1 × DM/CM
1× RW/ACM
1× CF

Plus 3 loans & wed be saving a packet on wages.
I think we have found a lack of depth can cost us in the dying minutes. We need depth.

Holgate and Keane listed as sell - that will be difficult considering how little they have contributed and how much they are sat on each week. No team will look at Holgate on 70k a week and think "yeah,I could use a bit of drama every other week".

Are they all going to be bionic men who never get injured or suspended?

Bearing in mind the multiple positions backups listed can play, im not sure what the issue you have is?

We need A LOT more than 4 players.

Of course but thats really the minimum i think we can get away with is to focus on quality over quantity.

I think we have found a lack of depth can cost us in the dying minutes. We need depth.

Holgate and Keane listed as sell - that will be difficult considering how little they have contributed and how much they are sat on each week. No team will look at Holgate on 70k a week and think "yeah,I could use a bit of drama every other week".

Thats a lack of quality rather than depth with Holgate & Keane cases in point.

Bearing in mind the multiple positions backups listed can play, im not sure what the issue you have is?

Of course but thats really the minimum i think we can get away with is to focus on quality over quantity.

We can’t get away with just 4 transfers, Zat.

Said it yesterday in the yooths thread - we could probably do with a bit more promotion from within next season. Needs must IMO.

My points are unrelated. We need more depth as a team for tired legs. We also need to rid Keane and Holgate from the team but unless we buy out the rest of their contracts, they aren't going anywhere

Holgate would need his contract paid up I'm afraid to leave full time, certainly on these shores.

Wasn't his debut at Southampton a 5-0 loss to Sunderland. They were poor defensively for a few weeks, he loses his place and then they go on a long winning run.

Wilder then decides to take him and he produces that terrible challenge on Mitoma so probably won't play again for Sheffield United.

If Branthwaite goes really need his replacement to be a hit as Holgate, Godfrey and Keane will still all be back ups in August so there's only so much Tarks can do having to cover all their regular mess ups. Two of them can also cover full back so going to be near impossible to keep as many clean sheets next season, Dyche isn't that much of a miracle worker.

You can only promote if they're any good. Otherwise you may as well just stick some kids from the park on the bench.

Without any points off it would've been good to give Onyango say the last 5 games of the season just to see what he offers. He's been on the bench regularly this season so maybe it's just a case of making the numbers up but Dyche perhaps sees potential (or his size).

In a position needing more dynamism he's worth a look. Huge gamble though if he just replaces Onana without much of a run out.

Stan Mills was doing well at Oxford before a bad injury so in ideal world you'd get him out to the championship if he's fit by September.

Dobbin should've been given more minutes in the last few months. Not sure he's ever going to be a serious prem player but he can cover the wide positions and would probably chip in with a couple of goals.

Basically the kids are probably not even where Branthwaite was at end of 21/22 season. That's why the PSV loan was such a good move as he was playing for big club with pressure and also experienced European football so he really kicked on and was probably ready for week in week out prem football by the time Jan 2023 came round.

Also think key what we do at cm with it looking like onana will go could need 3 players really to cover gomes onana ali

If were sticking with Dyche for one more season until his contract expires then we'll have 2 DM/CM + 1 ACM position.

Expect we go with Garner + Doucoure + Gana (trigger one year extension) so if Onana is sold we'd need those 3 positions covered -- may be able to get away with 2 players incoming so 5 players for 3 positions.

The main concern is RW as we have nothing there.

Hope to keep either one of Branthwaite or Onana, but both are rumored for offers around 80m. It's basically necessary to sell at least one of them to get some funds to finance new transfers.

A lot of ppl forget about that Gana Gueye is running out as well. I would keep him, if he accepted a big pay cut as he is on 130k and still see him as a squad player.

Too many changes in the squad are not conducive.

Liverpool have rebuilt their midfield last summer. Not going badly for them -- but as much as id like him replaced, it may make sense to keep Gana one last season...

Because I don't look at our squad and say "we're 4 players off being fine".

I dont think i wrote that. I was inferring we could get away with 4 quality players...its a risk but a risk worth taking if it meant e.g 8 out but 4 young quality high potential replacements in.

My points are unrelated. We need more depth as a team for tired legs. We also need to rid Keane and Holgate from the team but unless we buy out the rest of their contracts, they aren't going anywhere

I still think we could find buyers for both...tiny amounts but pretty much all profit on Keane and all profit on holgate.

Holgate would need his contract paid up I'm afraid to leave full time, certainly on these shores.

Wasn't his debut at Southampton a 5-0 loss to Sunderland. They were poor defensively for a few weeks, he loses his place and then they go on a long winning run.

Wilder then decides to take him and he produces that terrible challenge on Mitoma so probably won't play again for Sheffield United.

If Branthwaite goes really need his replacement to be a hit as Holgate, Godfrey and Keane will still all be back ups in August so there's only so much Tarks can do having to cover all their regular mess ups. Two of them can also cover full back so going to be near impossible to keep as many clean sheets next season, Dyche isn't that much of a miracle worker.

Pity he didnt move in Jan to Italy for £15mil. Hopefully Godfrey brings in similar offers this summer but if not we'll need to extend by 1 or 2 years for numbers.

Lukaku
Mahrez
D.Luiz
Achraf Hakimi

feel better?

The thing is, were not using Holgate, Maupay or Keane. Harrison isnt good enough + Gomes rarely plays, Coleman and Young are finished. Also DCL + Beto can be replaced with one CF.

If we moved on all of them thats 9 players already out.

4 quality young players coming in for them isnt a loss.