Goats squad analysis thread 2023/24

Surely “getting away with it” and “being fine” are just the same?

If you murder someone. But then take a few risks at the trial and the verdict is not guilty of murder but guilty of lesser crimes.

You got away with murder but arent exactly fine...

I think we have found a lack of depth can cost us in the dying minutes. We need depth.

Holgate and Keane listed as sell - that will be difficult considering how little they have contributed and how much they are sat on each week. No team will look at Holgate on 70k a week and think "yeah,I could use a bit of drama every other week".
Possibly teams coming up or teams going down. Price is everything

Branthwaite can't be allowed to leave.
1. Without Tarks and him this season we'd be relegated, even without the points deduction.
2. Can anyone trust the shower upstairs to replace him.
3. We'd likely be left with Dyche seeing a new signing competing with Keane, Godfrey and Holgate for that spot = relegation
4. Hes developing well but going to a new club doesn't mean he'd d develop better than where his is. There's big money there whether it's this year or whenever.
5. Dyche is making do this season with poor recruitment but if you get the same next year without Branners, well...as we know money ain't always the solution.
6. Sell Onana if need be and actually start making some low cost quality signings.
More like Garner.

We've got the best CB and goalie axis in the league behind the rest of the team. Sense would say this is the confidence needed from which to build a new side.

Time to build from the ashes. We need someone with the right vision to see this through, before spunking any money around.

Get player in, then get rid.

1. Without Tarks and him this season we'd be relegated, even without the points deduction.
3. We'd likely be left with Dyche seeing a new signing competing with Keane, Godfrey and Holgate for that spot = relegation
4. Hes developing well but going to a new club doesn't mean he'd d develop better than where his is. There's big money there whether it's this year or whenever.
5. Dyche is making do this season with poor recruitment but if you get the same next year without Branners, well...as we know money ain't always the solution.
6. Sell Onana if need be and actually start making some low cost quality signings.
More like Garner.

We've got the best CB and goalie axis in the league behind the rest of the team. Sense would say this is the confidence needed from which to build a new side.

Time to build from the ashes. We need someone with the right vision to see this through, before spunking any money around.

I would feel bad for the lad if he has to stay here.

Hes a real talent and he shouldnt be wasting his career at Drain FC.

More like Garner.

If we had good offers for Branthwaite, Onana & Pickford and only needed to sell one--to reinvest...the obvious one would be Pickford.

Both Branthwaite & Onana have over a decade in them while Pickford only around 5 years. Meaning its expected two values to increase while Pickfords will decrease due to his age.

There is a risk where we hold onto Onana & Branthwaite and injury may occur. So its very difficult when to know to take the money.

What we know is that we have to "build from the ashes" as you wrote.

For me, its one of three options:

1: We move on a high number of lower quality players while replacing with a small amount of u21s of a high potential and with lower league experience e.g two players for the right linked: RB/RCB Van De Ven (Boro), RW Asprilla (Watford).

-- Dyche rarely uses subs and so a small squad of e.g 18 + youth players could be fine for next season. Low incomings with high outgoings.

2: Similar to (1) but also sell one of Pickford, Branthwaite or Onana.

For me of the three, id sell Pickford as his value will be at its peak. I would have done this last summer and brought in Verbruggen (now Brighton) or Mamardashvili (still at Valencia).

This summer id be looking at the likes of Mamardashvili or Trafford (Burnley). This should be seen as bringing in a young player of a high level who can also become superior to Pickford. While also generating enough funds for another outfield signing.

-- Im sure we would all love to keep Pickford but as weve seen at RB with Coleman, holding onto players for too long sees their value plummet + can leave us short in quality in comparison to the ageing player.

3: Full on carpet bombing of the squad selling all three of Pickford, Branthwaite, Onana and bring in a new GK, CB, DM/CM, ACM, CF. A new spine and also several new players for other positions as well (e.g new right side).

A massive gamble but on the other hand the team and squad may benefit from a major refresh. It may give the team a new identity and under Dyche for a season before the new stadium it could be the perfect time and perfect manager with low risk tactics.

Thelwell has some major decisions to make.

The following is our current squad depth for the 24/25 season. I made a few comments on what I believe is most likely to happen to round out the squad.

GK:
1709927826992.png

No changes here.

LB:
1709927786755.png

We will likely sign a new LB to compete.

CB:
1709927911397.png

One of these 5 will be sold, and Reece Welch will be promoted to the senior team.

RB:
1709927985667.png

Seamus Coleman will get a 1 year extension.

LM:
1709928055580.png

No changes.

CDM:
1709928134983.png

Idrissa Gueye will get a 1 year extension, and Lewis Warrington will be promoted to the senior team pending his recovery from a knee injury.

CAM:
1709928206188.png

Tyler Onyango will be sold and we will bring in a new player on loan.

RM:
We currently have no one. I think it is likely we will sign Jack Harrison to a permanent, and promote Stanley Mills from the U21s after he returns from loan at Oxford United.

CF:
1709928331462.png

Maupay will be sold and Chermiti will go out on loan.

This will leave us with 23 footballers in the squad. With 9 contracts set to expire in the summer of 2025.

Prepare yourself for:
1. Overhyping and inevitably writing off the 1 of the 3 young boys who is getting minutes in the senior team.
2. Cautious optimism that our loan signing will contribute goals and link up play to relieve our Doucoure dependency prior to said loan player's season ending injury.
3. Being regularly exploited by the opposition at RB.
4. Continuing into yet another season without any attacking threat from the Right Wing.
5. General anguish & suffering.

Attachments

• 1709927723767.png
    1709927723767.png
    13.3 KB · Views: 7
Just looking at the Man. United team....Johnny Evans feels a nailed on signing dosen't he?

Branthwaite out, Johnny Evans in as LCB who can cover full back is basically Everton in summer 2024.

So did the squad actually fly out to Portugal today yeah? not heard/seen anything. Was hoping we'd at least hear who he took.

Must keep:
Pickford, Virginia, Myko, Tarks, Jarred, Patterson, Garner, McNeil, Dobbin, DCL, Chermiti

Will keep:
Godfrey, Gana, Doucs, Beto

Need to sign:
CB, RB, LB, (backups)
CM, CAM, CF (good enough to start)

Topped up with some youth players.

Everyone else needs punted. I include Onana in this as while I don’t want either him or Jarred to leave, we will sell one of them and personally think we would risk too much breaking up the pairing of Jarred and Tarks.

Last edited:
The following is our current squad depth for the 24/25 season. I made a few comments on what I believe is most likely to happen to round out the squad.

GK:
View attachment 248295
No changes here.

LB:
View attachment 248294
We will likely sign a new LB to compete.

CB:
View attachment 248296

One of these 5 will be sold, and Reece Welch will be promoted to the senior team.

RB:
View attachment 248297

Seamus Coleman will get a 1 year extension.

LM:
View attachment 248298

No changes.

CDM:
View attachment 248299

Idrissa Gueye will get a 1 year extension, and Lewis Warrington will be promoted to the senior team pending his recovery from a knee injury.

CAM:
View attachment 248300

Tyler Onyango will be sold and we will bring in a new player on loan.

RM:
We currently have no one. I think it is likely we will sign Jack Harrison to a permanent, and promote Stanley Mills from the U21s after he returns from loan at Oxford United.

CF:
View attachment 248301

Maupay will be sold and Chermiti will go out on loan.

This will leave us with 23 footballers in the squad. With 9 contracts set to expire in the summer of 2025.

Prepare yourself for:
1. Overhyping and inevitably writing off the 1 of the 3 young boys who is getting minutes in the senior team.
2. Cautious optimism that our loan signing will contribute goals and link up play to relieve our Doucoure dependency prior to said loan player's season ending injury.
3. Being regularly exploited by the opposition at RB.
4. Continuing into yet another season without any attacking threat from the Right Wing.
5. General anguish & suffering.
We're not promoting any of those, or at least nothing more than bench warmers/5 min cameo on a good day.