Golf 2024

Nick Faldo 100% right there. No course management discipline from Rory at alll.

He'll never win another tour event without a caddy.

A 3 wood to the middle of the 18th fairway and he'd at worst be off to a play off. Hitting driver was very silly.
I’ve said it on here before, McIlroy needs a strong caddy back on his bag again! Not just to carry the thing but to challenge him when he’s making poor decisions, also to help him occasionally on the greens with lines like JP used to do!

That last Putt he missed all comes from stupidity off the tee though Tim. You need a strong caddie telling you to put the Driver away and just find the fairway.

To put himself into a winning position and all he needed to do was tick the holes off. He done the same last night and tonight was just an unreal collapse.
To be fair, lots took driver off 18, and it also happens to be Rory's best club. Can't fault him there.

And increasingly in the game of golf, the stats say just bang it as far you can and figure it out later. Bryson was able to make par from under a tree and rolling it to a bunker 35 yards from the pin

That last Putt he missed all comes from stupidity off the tee though Tim. You need a strong caddie telling you to put the Driver away and just find the fairway.

To put himself into a winning position and all he needed to do was tick the holes off. He done the same last night and tonight was just an unreal collapse.
Same way Lefty booted it at Winged Foot, and he had Bones on the bag. Sometimes, players just do dumb stuff.

One of my bosses years ago had a good friend who was a grinder on the PGA Tour. He said most tour pros are about as smart as a box of rocks. Intelligence is not an advantage in golf, he said. It does not help with the mental side of the game, because it's too easy to imagine all the ways things go sideways.

To be fair, lots took driver off 18, and it also happens to be Rory's best club. Can't fault him there.

And increasingly in the game of golf, the stats say just bang it as far you can and figure it out later. Bryson was able to make par from under a tree and rolling it to a bunker 35 yards from the pin
Courses weren't designed for today's equipment. If you boom it out there far enough, you'll hit it past the worst of the trouble on a lot of holes. It's also a massive advantage to hit into greens with short irons rather than long ones, because the ball will stay where it lands.

Done Richard Mansell to be first round leader at 125/1. Coming off a worldy final round of 61 at the Scottish last Sunday. Future star tends to start hot and finishes hot too when not in contention. Still learning his trade.

Adam Scott for me this week at 60/1. Just a hunch but playing well this season. The Open owes him one I reckon.

Hole in one looks likely this week. Especially with the pitch and putt Postage Stamp. Can be tricky but with 156 golfers playing it for two full days and then another 70 or so for another 2 days I fail to see how an ace won't happen. Betfred are going 7/4 hole in one on that specific hole. Any hole in one generally 1/2. The other 2 par 3s won't be producing any aces any time soon in my book.

Who you got in the Open? I've got some on Morikawa and Fleetwood
Would love to see Tommy Fleetwood be right up there with 9 holes to play on Sunday, especially if the wind is blowing a bit!
In terms of who I’ve got, I’ve gone for Max Homa, Victor Hovland and Tom Kim so that’s the kiss of death for those three I’m afraid!

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back