Votes: 138 81.2%
  • Southampton - no distractions for 2017/18 title challenge

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Either - we will finish in a European spot regardless

Votes: 21 12.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Except that the mighty mighty Fulham have been to the final. So it gets less and less "impossible" as you so ridiculously infer when you actually look at the competition history.

You do know we have twice come to the round of 16 ourselves in this competition just within the last decade and a half and if it wasn't for luck on the Fiorentina night and a manager truly out of his depth against Kiev we might've progressed ourselves.

To add our neighbors were just in the final. Do you really think we are that far behind them? I know you were hurt by his sacking but move on. You seem to now begrudge our success. Sad.

The Europa League is extremely difficult to win due to the Champions League polluting it late on.

The benefit of it isn't the chance to win it, because that's extremely unlikely - the benefit is to marginally more attractive as a club because you're in it.

The FA Cup is now a competition where even Championship clubs play the reserves. So yes, I find them considerably lower down the food chain than the league and Continental competitions. I prefer competitions which give you the chance of advancing your club long term - the Europa League doesn't really offer that, but compared to the domestic cups it certainly offers more.
Whoever wins this game today is in Europe next season.

In the last 30 odd years only Liverpool and Chelsea from England have won that trophy. The squad has to be there.

You have to play 14 games just to reach the final. Actually, we'd have to play a qualifying tie, so make that 16 games. With the two month winter break for Uefa competitions, that works out at a game extra every two weeks - and then there's the domestic cup programme to add on top...say we get through to round 5/6 in each, that's another 6 or 7 games on top of the 16 EL games that get you to the final...or in simple terms: 59/60 games in one season.

To go from the 41 games that we'll have played this season to an extra 18/19 is implausible....to say the very least. Even if we got just to the round of 16 we'd have played 12 more games and our season games total would be in the region of 54/55 games.

Thinking caps on lads: do we really want that albatross round our necks next season?

Not really, but I'd like us to have the European competition draw.

In fact, I'd like us to be out of it as soon as the summer transfer window shuts actually.

Whoever wins this game today is in Europe next season.

And? If Southampton lose, they go home with squat, are 14 points behind us in the league table after finishing 16 points above us last season, and millions worse off as a result.

Banking on the FA Cup is like purchasing a lottery ticket and expecting to win.

Not really, but I'd like us to have the European competition draw.

In fact, I'd like us to be out of it as soon as the summer transfer window shuts actually.
So, you'd like us to get a qualifying round in the EL in the hope we can attract players who aren't good enough to get us through a qualifying round?

Interesting.

The Europa League is extremely difficult to win due to the Champions League polluting it late on.

The benefit of it isn't the chance to win it, because that's extremely unlikely - the benefit is to marginally more attractive as a club because you're in it.
I would say the benefit is the possibility of winning it. Of course being in it is beneficial to signing who we want but sooner or later we're going to have to start making waves in cup competitions because to the targets we really want, just being around it isn't good enough. And I'm obviously not saying we have to win it if we're in it next year but we certainly shouldn't be writing ourselves off just in terms of a mentality.

So, you'd like us to get a qualifying round in the EL in the hope we can attract players who aren't good enough to get us through a qualifying round?

Interesting.

No, I'd like us to bring in quality, then use the competition group stage for the reserve squad.

Won't happen, but that's what I'd like - all the positives with none of the negatives.

And? If Southampton lose, they go home with squat, are 14 points behind us in the league table after finishing 16 points above us last season, and millions worse off as a result.

Banking on the FA Cup is like purchasing a lottery ticket and expecting to win.
Erm, you do realise that to win the lottery you have to have a ticket in it dont you?

No final no glory.

It's what footy is about: winning trophies and playing beautifully.

7th place trophies dont cut it either. It;s why we were delighted to see ginger reverse Midas touch sling his hook.

7th place trophy is not as easy as your think because you can't do it with 21 league wins in 2 seasons. It's still much better than 11th and 13th though don't you agree?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back