Votes: 138 81.2%
  • Southampton - no distractions for 2017/18 title challenge

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Either - we will finish in a European spot regardless

Votes: 21 12.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Erm, you do realise that to win the lottery you have to have a ticket in it dont you?

No final no glory.

It's what footy is about: winning trophies and playing beautifully.

Football is about being the best - winning the FA Cup doesn't mean you are the best, nor does it advance you as a club to win better accolades.

It lost its' prestige a long time ago when money flooded the game and the cup got left behind. I wish that wasn't the case, but it is.

7th place trophy is not as easy as your think because you can't do it with 21 league wins in 2 seasons. It's still much better than 11th and 13th though don't you agree?
If you get 21 wins in one season that's remarkable and usually does get you a better reward than the EL. Wouldn't you agree?

No.

Winning a cup is great. The by-product is terrible. It's like eating a cheeseburger - that part is great, but you wouldn't want to eat the stool at the other end of the process would you?
No but comparing the europa league which is really well thought of outside of this country to a shitted out cheeseburger is maybe going over the top a bit.

Football is about being the best - winning the FA Cup doesn't mean you are the best, nor does it advance you as a club to win better accolades.

It lost its' prestige a long time ago when money flooded the game and the cup got left behind. I wish that wasn't the case, but it is.
This is alien to me.

WTF is football about if you're not arsed about winning trophies that the likes of Chelsea and Man City cut their teeth on before launching title bids?

Have a think about it.

Makes me think of Dave,and everyone that replys to him,the game to get you in knots lol

twister.jpg

In the last 30 odd years only Liverpool and Chelsea from England have won that trophy. The squad has to be there.

You have to play 14 games just to reach the final. Actually, we'd have to play a qualifying tie, so make that 16 games. With the two month winter break for Uefa competitions, that works out at a game extra every two weeks - and then there's the domestic cup programme to add on top...say we get through to round 5/6 in each, that's another 6 or 7 games on top of the 16 EL games that get you to the final...or in simple terms: 59/60 games in one season.

To go from the 41 games that we'll have played this season to an extra 18/19 is implausible....to say the very least. Even if we got just to the round of 16 we'd have played 12 more games and our season games total would be in the region of 54/55 games.

Thinking caps on lads: do we really want that albatross round our necks next season?
I could be wrong but I don't think the thread is about us only finishing seventh but more the idea the result would help us to qualify if we end up staying where we are but I find it interesting how you frame it negatively none the less.

What is going to be the point in holding out for one year making the CL and that's it? Because the scenario would be the same. Obviously it's slightly less games but it's still the same idea. We need to start getting our squad used to this demand and having money to fill the squad with better than Alcaraz and Kone will help massively in juggling the competitions.

Ultimately you make an unconvincing argument and it smacks of a losing mentality.

This again lol. You must be hurt when El Fruado was sacked. Great stuff.
No mate. I accept it because managers like players are cogs in a wheel. The organisation is all important. Which is why I'm annoyed we have a classless bully as manager - a manager who's won zip for over a decade, btw - and he's our public face to the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back