Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

GOT Fitness LOG

Status
Not open for further replies.
You've got it nailed mate, discipline but not cold turkey. Motivation only lasts so long, discipline is what makes people really achieve.

On a personal note I've been playing Sunday league the last 4 weeks, loving it (helps that we've won 3/4 games) but I seem to injure myself each time in a different way which is very frustrating for the rest of the week when I want to cycle or hit the weights.
thats it mate. I've cut down but not depriving myself. Setting goals in the gym helps as well

About injuries this is were I'm worried about running as I have a bad ankle and don't won't an injury that sets me back in the gym.

Im at the point of make or break in terms of weight loss right now.
25 years old, must easy be 20 stone but the lads i play football with say i work alot more than my weight suggests (obviously still affects my performance though) i have the brain to see moves happening but dont have the legs to get there, so frustrating.

My previous regime before a knee injury was using the matrix machine (various excercises) various upper body machines, light jogging into short sprints into walking and back again for 1-2 hours, 3-5 times a week, football anything upto 5 times a week and maybe try leg weights, one point i could leg press the full stack (5 sets of 12reps). Since the knee injury things aint the same.

Decided to give myself a little boost by buying those creatine pills (first time i ever used them) and some T5 weight loss aids. Probably use them short term to help me out then its all down to willpower and discipline.

I'm no expert but I was under the impression that creatine usually causes you to put on weight because of greater water retention? Being a weight weenie that (rightly or wrongly) put me off.

Gym at least six days a week . 2 hours on the treadmill fast walking on incline then swim anything between 30 minutes to 1 hour 20 min 5 days a week then 3 low weight high rep sessions a week . Then little walk after my dinner and tea

Last Friday I started running the first hour not constant little breaks in between. Done 3 hours and 12 miles on Monday. I was goosed in the end

Diet eat about 1500/1700 cal a day Monday to Friday

Sat and sun have a chippy and a roast and maybe a pack of sweets , crisp or chocolate. Only one of them though . Have maybe 6 pints every 2 to 3 weeks. Only drink water, coke zero or tea otherwise

I've cut out sweets crisp, chocolate. Bacon , sausage . Pasty's pies other than the odd treat . Only eat brown bread

I set goals in the gym always trying to break my own times etc.

I walk a lot more of a day as well .

If I fancy something to eat like a pizza I'll have that on the weekend but make sure it's a treat not a regular thing .

I've started doing core exercise in the house as well and burpees but that's hard . Only started that this week.

Incredible effort that mate. Keep it up.
I agree with the having a break at the weekend for treats or chippy tea etc. You'd go mental trying to go completely cold turkey.

You'll have to do a before and after side by side photos, with your thumb in the waistband stretching out your old trousers, like one one of those ads! Not that GOT would abuse that at all!!

Incredible effort that mate. Keep it up.
I agree with the having a break at the weekend for treats or chippy tea etc. You'd go mental trying to go completely cold turkey.

You'll have to do a before and after side by side photos, with your thumb in the waistband stretching out your old trousers, like one one of those ads! Not that GOT would abuse that at all!!
haha. Another 2 stone to go first.

Gym at least six days a week . 2 hours on the treadmill fast walking on incline then swim anything between 30 minutes to 1 hour 20 min 5 days a week then 3 low weight high rep sessions a week . Then little walk after my dinner and tea

Last Friday I started running the first hour not constant little breaks in between. Done 3 hours and 12 miles on Monday. I was goosed in the end

Diet eat about 1500/1700 cal a day Monday to Friday

Sat and sun have a chippy and a roast and maybe a pack of sweets , crisp or chocolate. Only one of them though . Have maybe 6 pints every 2 to 3 weeks. Only drink water, coke zero or tea otherwise

I've cut out sweets crisp, chocolate. Bacon , sausage . Pasty's pies other than the odd treat . Only eat brown bread

I set goals in the gym always trying to break my own times etc.

I walk a lot more of a day as well .

If I fancy something to eat like a pizza I'll have that on the weekend but make sure it's a treat not a regular thing .

I've started doing core exercise in the house as well and burpees but that's hard . Only started that this week.
Amazing mate. Well in!

You've got it nailed mate, discipline but not cold turkey. Motivation only lasts so long, discipline is what makes people really achieve.

Discipline is finite, motivation and willpower are finite. That is why all "diets" fail.
However if you make it a lifestyle change then these good behaviours become entrenched and second nature.

Discipline is finite, motivation and willpower are finite. That is why all "diets" fail.
However if you make it a lifestyle change then these good behaviours become entrenched and second nature.

Motivation and willpower are finite sure, but I view discipline as the lifestyle behaviour you just described. It's the idea that you do something regardless of whether you actually want to do it or not.

Back in the gym, despite a finger injury.

Lots of plyo box jumps, squats, single leg dead lifts etc
Always feel better when I'm doing 1-2 sessions a week.

I'm bloody knackered.. will be hitting 20hrs of training over the next couple of weeks as my volume peaks ahead of my 24hr race.
Am the fittest I've ever been in my life.. but will be glad when it's over.

Motivation and willpower are finite sure, but I view discipline as the lifestyle behaviour you just described. It's the idea that you do something regardless of whether you actually want to do it or not.

Well, preferences follow behaviour changes. Remember when you first ever had a beer? Didn't taste too nice, did it? But for some reason you keep drinking it, and now you can't understand why it tasted so bad all those years ago.

At first you do something and it's not easy, but you keep at it and it becomes easier and then eventually second nature. It can be hard to eat clean and exercise daily at first, but if you stick to it then it becomes who you are, and then eventually you can't imagine not doing it.
Being a vegetarian or vegan isn't a matter of willpower for those who follow that way of eating.. it's second nature because its become who they are.

Last edited:
I'm no expert but I was under the impression that creatine usually causes you to put on weight because of greater water retention? Being a weight weenie that (rightly or wrongly) put me off.

I believe it can do that, right now i need to see results a little quicker to give me motivation to keep going, sometimes i spend about 3 months working hard, losing weight, then i lose focus. I doubt it will be a long term 'supplement' i will take.

I need to play football at least 3 times a week to boost my determination and also see the results.

I take 4-5g of creatine most days, and I don't think the water weight is particularly significant. I reckon I carry 1-2lb of additional water-weight at most. I can believe if you're slamming 20-30g a day like some then it might give you some significant extra bulk.

Creatine has a lot of studies backing it up as one of the most universally beneficial supps for all types of athletes, not just power/strength based.

So was out for a ride this morning and saw a bunch of guys in a mixture of Movistar and Cafe Colombia kit. Sure one of them looked rather like Nairo Quintana, but not entirely sure. Was supposed to be heading home but they turned off to go up a climb I often do so I latched on the back.

Was like being towed by a motorbike :lol: Suffice to say, that was a personal best for that climb. Not sure if it was Quintana or not, but they were going at a fair lick whoever they were.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back